OEM Polaris Oil Filter vs Aftermarket Specs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all, been researching aftermarket oil filters for my 2004 Polaris Sportsman 500. I like the Wix # 51358. Per Wix, the max flow rate is 8-10 GPM, burst pressure is 265 and anti drain valve setting is 8 psi. How does this compare to the OEM Polaris filter? I know it uses a dry sump system and I heard talk that OEM is required due to certain flow rates etc....

I have no idea about the specs, but Polaris is notoriously insistent that you use only their fluids and filters. It's just a money making tactic. Any filter that cross references to a Fram 6607 will work just fine. The last Polaris filter I used on my Polaris was the one that came from the factory. I have a 2008 Scrambler 500, same engine you have.

I use automotive oil filters on my Sportsman 500, 700 and all the 335 and 325s without incident. Polaris likes to make you think they have a complicated high tech machine but in reality, they are pretty simple. They runs a multitude of oils and filters.

That's what I was thinking as well. Just was curious about the flow rates etc and how they compare. They are probably almost identical lol.

Ive owned two Rangers, 09 700XP and now A 2012 800XP. after the first oil change neither of my machines has ever had a OEM filter put back on it. Neither have had 2w50 back in the sump either. Napa Gold Filters and RT6 oil. the only thing I do stick with is the differential fluid. 2 pennies

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back