2015 Kawasaki Teryx 4 break in !

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, its a done deal, I traded the Polaris in my Sig for a 2015 Kawasaki Teryx 4. This Machine is a absolute blast, and my family is enjoying it already. That said Im reading the owners manual and of course planning to follow ((most)) the recommendations for engine break in. Im getting plenty of opinions already on how I intend to break it in on a few other sites, "Run it like I stole it, or slow and steady" Im doing just a bit of both.. after 7 miles last night I was feathering the pedal and working the RPM range up and down, No not holding it wide open screaming its guts out, but working the whole rev range.. The manual calls for no more than half throttle for the first 20 hours of operation. Considering these machines go through wide open throttle tests at the factory before being shipped I cant say I understand that..

Experience in the matter ? your thoughts ?

Lots of opinions on this topic.

I remember being at the Indy track and seeing many of the cars go out for warm up and they seemed to often stay in lower gears and run the engine up to high rpms and then let off the gas similar to the way Mototune suggests. Today they probably have very specific break in routines they run on a dyno before installing the engines (or the engine builder does)

Here is a link for your reading pleasure-
http://mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

I would take it easy for the 1st handful of hours, give it a minute or two of warmup if cold too.

No need to see how much abuse it can take and still run. I'd do the 1st oil change a bit early. I'd also try to use non-ethanol fuel as much as possible.

Enjoy, the lowly ATV is becoming second fiddle to the UTV, I think that's what it is.

Originally Posted By: Chris142
My wife wants a rino/rzr etc. We looked at the teryx4 and we are leaning towards it. Dealer has one for $12999+ fees.is that a good deal?
2 seater or 4 ? mines a 4 seater and retail was $16,299 and I got mine for a lot les plus trade !

I ran my BF750 as dictated in the owners manual. I did a UOA of the oil after 20 hours and it had sheared terribly. Change all of the oils after 20 hours. I use Rotella (Triple T and T6) in mine with good results.

I bought a new Raptor 700 in 2007 and managed to get 1.5 hours on it before I took it to my first race. I could actually feel the engine limbering up as the race ran on. It would rev more freely. I kept that Raptor for 3 years of hard XC racing and it never burnt oil or showed any negative signs of it's harsh break-in. I have broken in two new quads in the same way since with similar results.

Originally Posted By: OtisBlkR1
My wife wants a rino/rzr etc. We looked at the teryx4 and we are leaning towards it. Dealer has one for $12999+ fees.is that a good deal?
2 seater or 4 ? mines a 4 seater and retail was $16,299 and I got mine for a lot les plus trade !

Originally Posted By: OtisBlkR1

If you can a 2015 Kawasaki teryx 4 seater 800cc for $12,999 your doing very good.

The owners manual on this thing is simply amazing, the way it is setup V.S. the Polaris ranger is pretty awesome. My 700cc Ranger held 2 quarts of oil, this big girl is a 800cc and holds 4 quarts. Not only that but the transmission and the engine are one, Unlike the Ranger that had a completely separate transmission. You do engine oil, and front and rear diff's.. I like it.

A buddy has a teryx 4. IIRC it's a 2013. It's the last year of the 750cc engine.
Anyway, we trail ride a lot here. He has about 2500 miles on it.

It is a very well built machine. It's not the fastest, speed limited to 50mph(though a ECU flash will,raise it to 60), doesn't have the latest and greatest suspension, though not bad by any means, but has always been ready for abuse. I cannot say the same for my RZR.

I really like the T4.

Congrats on your new ride!

Originally Posted By: Srt20
A buddy has a teryx 4. IIRC it's a 2013. It's the last year of the 750cc engine.
Anyway, we trail ride a lot here. He has about 2500 miles on it.

It is a very well built machine. It's not the fastest, speed limited to 50mph(though a ECU flash will,raise it to 60), doesn't have the latest and greatest suspension, though not bad by any means, but has always been ready for abuse. I cannot say the same for my RZR.

I really like the T4.

Thanks, where can one get the ECU re-flashed at ? also, much better than my 09 Ranger This 2015 machines suspension has the piggy back res, Fox shocks with finger adjustments, I have no idea of what quality they are however so far seem pretty good.

Congrats on your new ride!

You will have to do some googling to see if they have a flash for the newer ones yet. I Would bet they do. It basically just raised the rpm limit about 1000 IIRC. I never dug to deep into it because I don't have a kawi.

Yeah you should have the fox podium shocks. Idk how they are valved on the new T4, my bud just has Fox with rezzys, and they are pretty stiff. I don't think he plays with them at all either.

But we also do a lot of high speed trail riding on some fairly rough trails. The T4 is very surprising in how stable it is at high speed. It is not as tippy as it looks.

I found the ECU info, $400 for a reflash.. sheesh, gets you up to 62-63mph hmm maybe down the road after break in. I haven't even tinkered with the suspension but can 100 % agree its pretty stiff off the showroom floor.

also found that if you send your ECU off for a reflash that it will show a error code on the dash that they haven't figured out how to get rid of yet.. that would bother me.

My fiancee's son just bought a new 900 RZR a few weeks ago and he broke it in like he stole it. He was running at full throttle right off the trailer when we got home. He still has not changed the oil in it and he has run the [censored] out of it. Knock on wood, nothing has broke yet.

Wayne

I, too, bought a Teryx, a 2015 Teryx2 Camo and could not be happier! I've got about 750 miles on it so far, and it is a BIG improvement over the 2012 RZR I ditched.

Everything about this Teryx is heavy duty compared to the RZR, and the maintenance is so much easier. No proprietary, expensive fluids, just Rotella T, GL-5 gear oil, and UTF for the wet brake rear diff.

I put 28-10/14 8 ply Rocktanes on all 4 after I sold the Bighorns that came on it.

Never runs out of power, even at 10k+. I love it!

If there is any subject in this world that has more [censored] attached to it, it has to be engine break in procedures. As far as I can tell, there are lots and lots of methods but like with any subject, no real world engineering data proving one was or another is better. The way I see it, whether it is done at low speed or high speed or somewhere in between, the piston and rings are still moving up and down in the cylinder. Obviously, with wide open throttle, the ring pressure is greater so break in will occur faster, however, eventually rings will wear in and seat at all throttle positions.

If anyone knows of some scientifically performed studies, I would like to see them.

from the factory they do full throttle tests before they leave the factory.. A lot of opinions on the "do's and dont's" of break in.. its your money, and if its new it is under warranty.. you choose whatever method you can sleep with at night.

I do not buy new vehicles so I have no direct experience breaking in gas engines. But I have read the motoman break in method, and many other opinions on the subject.

One thing comes to mind about the manufacturers' break in methods. That is this: rings are not the only thing to consider when breaking in an engine. There are bearings and gears and stuff of that nature that need to break in as well.

I suspect the manufacturers' recommendations are based on the overall needs of all the engine parts, not just rings. I wonder if to ride it like you stole it, while good for rings, may contribute to accelerated wear on other engine parts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back