Too many additives to choose from!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello, this is my first post here and I am a bit of a maintenance nut much like I'm sure you all are. For two years now since I bought my old Jag I have been using either M1 High Mileage or Royal Purple HMX along with a can of Engine Restore. I use the HM oil because of a minor oil pan seep that would cost a grand to fix and the restore has has undoubtedly fixed my compression and made the car run smoother for two years now. However, I keep hearing bad things about Restore with and am considering stepping up my additive game a notch or two.

These are the options I have considered thus far:

WS2 - You guys seem to love to talk about this stuff and say its great even though some say that the tungsten particles don't stay in suspension. Out of all the ones I've seen the Nanolub seems the most convincing.

Liqui Moly Motor Protect or Cera Tec - I used the Cera Tec to great effect in the wife's 205,000 mile Olds Alero, and am intriqued by the Motor Protect too as it seems to be their most robust premium Mos2 additive.

Archoil AR9100 - What can I say, Jay Leno likes it and puts it in his cars... Also, this stuff appears to be an American Cera Tec essentially in that it is boron-based right? However, like Cera Tec I have heard that this boron based stuff can become corrosive over time.

LubeGuard Bio-Tech - Not as fancy or 'nano' as these other ones but apparently these guys have a great reputation and their headquarters are 20 minutes from my house.

Lastly, NANODIAMONDS! I haven't seen anyone talk about these on here yet but they fascinate me the most because of a two hour conversation I had on the phone with the inventor of DiamondLube. We talked about a lot of stuff and he sold me on his whole concept. I also looked at his competitors which include Nano Tech Lubricants, Addo-Nano (German), and Adamas Nano. However, he assured me that his nano diamonds were the smallest on a molecular level and that his technique is patent pending. Also, his treatment is supposed to be once and your done, which is much cooler than doing it every oil change... His price is a little ridiculous at $800 for the premium engine, transmission, and AC treatment but you have got to pay for quality sometimes... You guys should check out his site. He has a mil-spec for his diamond lube gun grease and is trying to secure a contract with the postal service fleet right now. I have read a lot of serious academic journals lately with regard to nanodiamonds and they seem promising. However, some have said that they can increase wear in the long run due to the fact that these nano-diamond particles are so hard.

So guys, any suggestions?

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum.

Originally Posted By: jagtuner28
So guys, any suggestions?

Stop using any additives whatsoever.
Run a quality oil/filter combo that's appropriate for the application.
Get an analysis done.

What are you trying to accomplish? Does the engine leak, have blowby, sludge, etc?
There are some decent additives but they are generally condition specific.
Just using additives for the heck of it does no good except for the company selling it and may actually cause harm to the engine or seals.

Everyone's cynicism is so inviting I must say lol. If I was really all that reckless with additives I wouldn't have joined this forum so that I could sit here and ask all of you what your thoughts were on these matters. I simply have a desire to take care of my car as best as possible and some modern additives do appear to have some science behind them along with a dedicated following...

I simply have a desire to take care of my car as best as possible

Stop using any additives whatsoever.
Run a quality oil/filter combo that's appropriate for the application.
Get an analysis done.

My compression sucks on a couple of the cylinders unless I use Restore. Furthermore, I am trying to make this repair prone car last as long as is absolutely possible while squeezing as much HP out of it as I can. I have virtually every HP mod that the car can handle but wont take it too far of course because of the cars weak transfer case.

I just bought the wife a brand new loaded VW Passat and don't want to replace this car until her 72 month financing is up. The Jag currently has 165,000 miles or so.

Everyone's cynicism is so inviting I must say lol. If I was really all that reckless with additives I wouldn't have joined this forum so that I could sit here and ask all of you what your thoughts were on these matters. I simply have a desire to take care of my car as best as possible and some modern additives do appear to have some science behind them along with a dedicated following...
If "modern additives" worked, the oil companies would use them.

You have two cylinders with low compression, but are "squeezing as much HP out of it as I can" and "have virtually every HP mod that the car can handle".

Talk about misplaced priorities...

Please, someone else take it from here.

I have virtually every HP mod that the car can handle but wont take it too far of course because of the cars weak transfer case.

What mods have you done and how long have you owned it?

I have heard that argument before but I also know that modern consumer products are built with manufactured obsolescence in mind. My sealed-for-life tranny and transfer case are an excellent example of this. Furthermore, the API standard that so many people hold to as the holy grail is a standard of minimums not maximums. I wouldn't just go pour anything in my car but I am a critical thinker and don't necessarily swallow the oil company's kool-aid.

I did most of my hp mods before I noticed that my compression was off, but like I said its been fine ever since I put the restore in there.

As for the mods themselves, I have a Mina Gallery Short Ram air intake, a Mina Gallery custom exhaust, an exhaust resonator delete with a performance catalytic converter, a Volo performance tuning chip, C-west voltage stabilizer, and NRG grounding wire. I would lower it, but I've got non adjustable camber and I'd rather sit higher with nice expensive Goodyear F1s that don't wear out every 5k miles than sit lower and chew through [censored] tires.

but like I said its been fine ever since I put the restore in there.

This is where you post an oil analysis to corroborate your statement.

I said the word "cheap" where censored is? Is cheap a bad word around here lol?

How can that word be censored if you just typed it? You probably used a different word and forgot what you typed.

Im not gonna lie I've never done a UOA, however I have done a couple of compression tests and the compression problem does seem to be solved. As for what the Copper, Silver, and Lead have done to my engine god only knows.... On the brightside (from my perspective), some people seem to have used Restore successfully for quite a long time from all the reviews I've read and on forums, but, their are enough critics to get me in here looking for alternatives.

Originally Posted By: HerrStig
"There's a devotee born every minute". PT Barnum... interpretation by Click and Clack.

I thought it was sucker.

As far as additives go 800 bucks is absurd. Only an idiot pays that kind f money for nothing.
The only additives I use are liqui-moly. Because they perform as advertised.
And restore is garbage. The metals are filtered out causing the filter to by-pass,which pumps unfiltered oil thru the engine.
I used that stuff as a teen then when my engine blew o tore it apart. The oil galleries were almost completely clogged
That stuff is junk and only to be used in an engine you don't want to keep or on its last legs and beyond economical repair.
Stick with liqui-moly and use as directed.
And this diamond nonsense. How do diamonds help an engine.

And let's be serious here. Engine failure isn't common even in high mileage examples. It's not the engine that finishes off a vehicle and sends it to the wrecker. It's everything else.

I have heard that argument before but I also know that modern consumer products are built with manufactured obsolescence in mind. My sealed-for-life tranny and transfer case are an excellent example of this. Furthermore, the API standard that so many people hold to as the holy grail is a standard of minimums not maximums. I wouldn't just go pour anything in my car but I am a critical thinker and don't necessarily swallow the oil company's kool-aid.

Well of course not only are the vehicles built that way, so is oil. Between the two I don't know how anyone gets over 75,000 miles on a vehicle. I know I sure can't.

Ha. But you listen to some guys nonsense about diamonds in oil.

And your mod list isn't a mod list. You aren't 5hp higher than when you started.
If your engine needed restore its due for a rebuild. It's that simple.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back