2016 Mustang EcoBoost

Status
Not open for further replies.
went with my brother today to look at/test a new mustang.
Hopped in his '13 Challenger, and went to a dealer about25 mi away from his house, because they had one configured just how he wanted it.

when we got there, they had to find the car, they had just gotten it in, and their website still just had a stock photo placeholder. they pulled it around, and there were literally 2 mi on the odometer. still had the plastic on the mats, visors,gauges,shifter,etc.took it on a short test drive(4 mi) and he could already tell it fit him much better than the Challenger. (never could get it adjusted perfectly/comfortably)

then started the art of the deal. they had a nearly 2k add on for a super duper protection pack, and window tinting.got that mostly removed, save for $489which they said was the tint at cost, no profit.and in this part of the world(DFW Metroplex) you need the Tint. esp with a black interior.

after trading in the challenger, he got a brand new Mustang for just under $7k, taking ownership with 6 mi on the Odo.

and after all that, some Deets.
Old Car: (if anyone is looking for a CHERRY '13 Challenger, this should be for sale @ Grand Prairie Ford in a few days.)
2013 Dodge Challenger Blacktop pkg
22,xxx mi
5.7l Hemi(with MDS)
Auto, with sport mode and paddle shifters
a couple writeups about the Blacktop Challenger( so i don't get TOO long winded)

http://www.torquenews.com/106/2013-dodge...ved-performance

FCA press release

IMG_20150923_164456041_HDR.jpg

New Car:
2016 Mustang EcoBoost w/Performance package

R&T Writeup of the 2015 EcoBoost w/Preformance Pack

IMG_20150923_180851002_HDR.jpg

every time i would try to get a pic of just the car, he would go and stand next to it....

Now he just needs to sell his other 2 Mustangs...
'06 GT Auto w/70k ish Miles
'98 GT 5Speed one owner 14,500 Actual mi
and all the parts he has for them...

Last edited:
Both cars are very nice. It's a great time to be a Domestic Sports Car enthusiast as there's plenty to choose from.

He was 12(nearly 13) when i was born, so it seems he's been driving my whole life, as far back as I can remember:
(around 85/86) third Gen Valiant(67-73)
then a full size Pontiac Wagon,
a series of Vw's
1979 Pontiac Grand Prix (probably why I love G bodies)
1985 Dodge Omni (hand me down after the GP was stolen).
1993 Mustang LX(Last year of the Fox Body, Coupe body, not hatchback, manual, with the 4cyl)
1993(?)6cly chevy truck
1996 F150 (Last year of the 9th Gen,next year went all curvy)
1998 Mustang GT (still has it)
2001 Ram 1500
2005 Neon SXT (I bought it in early 2010, sold in early 2014)
2006 Mustang GT (bought early 2010 with 20k mi)(still has it, next up for sale)
2007 Dodge Dakota(still has it)
2013 Dodge Challenger R/T Blacktop
2016 Ford Mustang EcoBoost (Just Purchased)

Last edited:
When I saw the thread title I was hoping there'd be some comments on how the new EcoBoost actually drove. I have a 2014 GT500 that I refer to as the "EgoBoost".

My wife has one. Here in CO you barely tell the difference from the GT with the altitude. It feels more like a sports car too with just light enough feet. Throttle response is very good unless you lug it. It has taken down a Challenger RT in an interstate road race too as well as some mustang GTs.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: earlyre

when we got there, they had to find the car, they had just gotten it in, and their website still just had a stock photo placeholder. they pulled it around, and there were literally 2 mi on the odometer. still had the plastic on the mats, visors,gauges,shifter,etc.took it on a short test drive(4 mi) and he could already tell it fit him much better than the Challenger. (never could get it adjusted perfectly/comfortably)

That's how I got my first 4th-Gen Camaro. I was shopping for another C4 Corvette, and the salesman at the Chevy dealer asked me if I had thought about a Camaro. I hadn't up to that point, and took a test drive in a '97 Z28 LT1/6-speed. The car just fit me perfectly. Comfortable driving position, pedals perfectly placed for heel & toe, and shifter was right where it needed to be when I dropped my hand off the steering wheel. I knew after the first couple of turns that I wanted it. If it fits, you must get!

Surprising to see someone go from a big V8 to a turbo 4. Was it for fuel economy reasons?

I would like to drive the 2.3L mustang. I like the ecoboost engines.

Shouldn't be as my RT Challenger got great mpg.
The Ecoboost Stang gets poor mpg in real use.
It fit him better it seems
Beautiful car anyway.
I test drove a few stangs as well and I like their look- stance.
The Challenger after awhile comes off too 60'ish as its a great car but big and pondering.
I'm just not a fan of turbo anything's except Diesels.
When you run them normally they are OK, but get on them they suck up the gas rather rapidly.

Originally Posted By: wemay
Both cars are very nice. It's a great time to be a Domestic Sports Car enthusiast as there's plenty to choose from.

No one mentioned the Corvette at all in the thread, so what sports cars?
I'm kind of on the fence about calling the Viper a sports car, as it's more in the realm of supercars instead.

Challenger is more of a musclecar than a sports car, and the Camaro/Mustang always have been and always will be pony cars.

But the Mustang is a fantastic car, and looks HOT in red.
I have a Ford dealership 2 miles down the road from my house, so I see them every single day.

BC.

Originally Posted By: earlyre

Now he just needs to sell his other 2 Mustangs...
'06 GT Auto w/70k ish Miles
'98 GT 5Speed one owner 14,500 Actual mi
and all the parts he has for them...

He needs to get out and drive that 98! I've been driving around my Grandad's 95 GT 5spd for a couple weeks now. 7,000 Actual miles.. Bought it wrecked in 96 fixed it and its been sitting in his yard every since.. Its such a waste.

Beautiful car!!! Congrats!

I'm thinking my next one will be a Mustang or a Focus RS.... But if I go the Mustang route it will be a tough choice - Ecoboost or 5.0. A turbo 2.3 has nostalgia for me as my first car was an 86 LX with the Boat Anchor 2.3. But there is the rumble of that V8 that is hard to beat!

Originally Posted By: jaj
When I saw the thread title I was hoping there'd be some comments on how the new EcoBoost actually drove. I have a 2014 GT500 that I refer to as the "EgoBoost".

I'm not the one actually driving it...so i can't comment. this will be his new DD Daily Commute is 20ish Hwy Miles each way in Dallas Rush Hour(main reason he wanted an auto instead of manual).

when the EcoBoost line first started hitting dealerships, my Local dealer, on his commercials it sounded more like he was saying either "EgoBoost", or "EagleBoost"

so far (30 miles or so) he loves the way it drives.you put your foot down, and it goes. no typical 4 cyl loud and then launch, no noticeable turbo lag, just FOOM!
he's said it drives Pretty much like the Challenger, just fits him better, while being rated for IIRC 22city, and 30Hwy.

this is a Base EcoBoost, Cloth, no navi, Auto, none of the fancy bells and whistles.
but it has the Performance Pkg - 19x9 wheels, sport mode on the trans("manual mode") with paddle shifters, 3.55 gears, the Bigger GT Brakes,no spoiler,the sport button has 3 settings:Normal, Sport, and Snow/Rain.
where the center vent would normally be, they've instead placed two gauges, Oil Pressure, and Boost.on our short trip back to his house, I did see the oil press gauge fluctuate a little, but the fact that it mainly hovered around 20psi makes me think it's not a mechanical gauge....

That's a wonderful car. Me, I love the 2.3 DI turbo four in my Mazdaspeed 3- but my next car is going to have a big, resource squandering, climate changing, 420+ hp V8 under the hood. Why? As one journalist put it:

"They're appealing to a certain demographic - namely mine - that wants one last shot at high performance without the lectures, and the hand-wringing, and the bull***t that's looming just over the horizon masquerading as our Driving Future, with autonomous cars and group-hug car sharing shoved down our throats - aka The Depths of H**l. Then again that is exactly the reason these cars do exist. They're authentically unapologetic, a raised middle finger to the mediocrity and the sameness and the relentless political correctness that have grabbed this country by the throat and reduced it to hordes of card-carrying spineless weasels drooling for their next public hanging by social media."

Originally Posted By: Bladecutter
Originally Posted By: wemay

No one mentioned the Corvette at all in the thread, so what sports cars?
I'm kind of on the fence about calling the Viper a sports car, as it's more in the realm of supercars instead.

Challenger is more of a musclecar than a sports car, and the Camaro/Mustang always have been and always will be pony cars.

But the Mustang is a fantastic car, and looks HOT in red.
I have a Ford dealership 2 miles down the road from my house, so I see them every single day.

BC.

The term was used loosely for the sake of not categorizing all the high performance vehicles individually. Maybe i should have used the term 'high performance'. But i understand what you mean.

Beautiful car, congrats to your brother. I've always been a Mustang guy and struggled between the new Stang and the Challenger but ultimately the Challenger won me over.

I've heard the Ecoboost's are nice little motors in the Mustang.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back