Heads are Rolling at VW

Status
Not open for further replies.
What I am most interested in is to see if their fancy pants guys who get fired receive millions of dollars of golden parachutes. Seriously, i would like to know.

Btw, great time tombuy veedub stock. They'll do total redesigns in the coming years and sales will rocket with a few slick commercials. Stocks will be at an all time high by 2021.

At first i believed all the higher-ups knew about the deception, but the more i read, the less i think that was true. His ouster is just a symbolic effort to show the world VW has pressed the 'RESET' button. I expect M. Mueller to be the new Chairman as was speculated all along and VW to steam ahead in the hybrid arena - to put all this in the rear view mirror.

VW will recover nicely in about 2 years.
Winterkorn should have held independent engineering reviews of what was going on in the engine software department where regulatory compliance (and HOW they accomplished it) is critical.

I've mostly worked in embedded software jobs where FAA and Air Force regulatory compliance & scrutiny (safety) was paramount.

Does anybody know if car companies, with the EPA breathing down their necks, have any kind of culture of "trust by verify" compliance? Should Winterkorn and other execs have checked on things once in a while?

Originally Posted By: SumpChump
What I am most interested in is to see if their fancy pants guys who get fired receive millions of dollars of golden parachutes. Seriously, i would like to know.

It depends upon their employment contracts. There is always a lot of bellyaching about "golden parachutes" but the majority of them are simply fulfillment of the executives' employment contracts. Still, must be nice to be able to have your employer want you so badly that they agree to such contracts. I worked at a smaller company for years and saw plenty of outrageously bad behavior and incompetence result in firings that went along with payout of salary for the remainder of the contract term. It also, usually, resulted in instant vesting for all stock options as well.

I don't know if much "Higher-Up" knew about fraud, but someone higher than the software engineers knew and approved it. It's impossible the coders in engineering dept did it without knowledge/approval from managers or directors or ...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
I don't know if much "Higher-Up" knew about fraud, but someone higher than the software engineers knew and approved it. It's impossible the coders in engineering dept did it without knowledge/approval from managers or directors or ...

A software tech manager or two or three would have known. In 7 model years, many grunt tech software coders would have known, but they might not understand "cheat" concepts related to the law.
Managers involved should have known about how to comply with the EPA laws, for sure.
But who looks into the code above coders and immediate managers? Probably nobody knew very high up at all.

What I want to know is if anybody reading this thinks the executives should have conducted outside independent reviews of how they were getting EPA compliance ??????

its nowhere enough, the product development head, the compliance head, the support heads have to roll. in fact, the shareholders should demand the entire company be liquidated and the money returned to the shareholders.

Originally Posted By: cptbarkey
its nowhere enough, the product development head, the compliance head, the support heads have to roll. in fact, the shareholders should demand the entire company be liquidated and the money returned to the shareholders.

The company is worth far more as a going concern rather than the sum of its parts. This infraction is no where near that level. GM got off with 900M so put that in perspective.

This is hardly unusual behavior, why, NOBODY in WWII Germany knew anything bad was going on. BTW sales are down in one of their biggest markets, China.

Last edited:
At this point it's all public relations. It will be old news soon enough. The underlying issue here is that the regulatory agencies will gain more power and more control and grow. This is a windfall for them. Those that will benefit from political control are the winners and us ordinary citizens are the losers. None of this is or ever was about protecting people and the environment. The auto manufacturers are just collateral damage. All their press releases are just so much noise and of no particular long term interest. All us ordinary will have no voice in the process and still pay all the bills. From their point of view, it's a wonderful system.

Originally Posted By: lubricatosaurus
HTSS_TR said:
What I want to know is if anybody reading this thinks the executives should have conducted outside independent reviews of how they were getting EPA compliance ??????

My guess is that pressure on achieving compliance was extremely high, and that this lead to the cheating. "Make it happen or else!" "Uhm okay..."

Originally Posted By: Bluestream
Wonder if anyone at GM will lose their job over the 130 deaths?

Good point. There is a different standard in corporate America for executive responsibility though. Here, the execs rig the system so they benefit regardless of results.

Originally Posted By: BRZED
Originally Posted By: lubricatosaurus
HTSS_TR said:

My guess is that pressure on achieving compliance was extremely high, and that this lead to the cheating. "Make it happen or else!" "Uhm okay..."

My gut feeling too. I've seen that kind of pressure. Get-R-Done, and don't ask how.
I'm actually beginning to feel like Winterkorn deserves 20% of the total blame.
Thinking they (executives) should have reviewed HOW costly laws were being followed, or not followed, as a management style to protect the company from $20 billion U.S. dollars in liability. Or maybe its just me thinking that. Ignorance is bliss if you're a rich CEO or vice-pres, right????
spankme2.gif

Originally Posted By: cptbarkey

So how about GM, or Ford, or Toyota where people directly lost their lives because of deliberate and willful negligence?

crackmeup2.gif
thumbsup2.gif

I can't help but think this was some type of test, diagnostic, or prototype code that got left in the final release. Perpetuated by code re-use. I've seen and heard of things like that happening. Could be poor software configuration management, lack of adequate review, etc.... We may never know if it was accidental or intentional.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back