Well is the time to look for another car

Status
Not open for further replies.
My wife Saturn SL2 AC stooped working, the clutch is not engaging, It has 190000 miles on it, I live in Salt Lake City and the summer is almost over, so is not a big problem. I am going to take it to the shop but is going to cost my a lot of money. Plus the car burns oil, maybe is time to start looking for a replacement. I am happy with my 2 Saturn anyway.
I doubt is not the compressor, but I am still happy with the car still working and I have time to find a replacement, what do you guy think about a Saturn with the ecotec engine ?
I am trying to find something like a Sl2 cheap on gas, cheap to fix, cheap insurance, good reliability

The Saturn Ion describes kinda what you are looking for, it even has performance flavors if so inclined.

The Saturn l200 would be a bigger car, more of a dog, but still has the ecotec but is a good highway cruiser.

The Chevy Malibu Max was rumored to get close to 40 mpg as well

There is always the chance of finding a creampuff SL series as well

I have a 99 SL2. Around 200,000 that is when many things needed replacement or updates. My compressor costed $1,000 to install. I lost an engine at 219,000 but found another one for $$$$.

Pitcher has a knack for getting low mileage S-Series Saturns. If my Saturn died I would only buy low mileage one. I have spent a lot time at Pick-N-Pull the past few years to keep her going.

Early Generation Ecotec motors had problem with timing chain failure. Not sure when they fixed the problem.

Originally Posted By: MONKEYMAN

Early Generation Ecotec motors had problem with timing chain failure. Not sure when they fixed the problem.

Yup they're not that great. 2004 apparently saw the greatest improvement. You can also change the tensioner without taking the engine apart; this helps things.

I have an 07 HHR with ecotec. Powertrain is nice but the rest of the cute ute is shoddily constructed.

Fixed up an 04 Ecotec Cavalier for my BIL. A perversely fun beater. Then it ate its timing chain.

Get a Honda Civic
smile.gif

Last edited:
So if I understand you correctly, your car's AC stopped working, so you want to get rid of the car, even though it's late September and you won't even need the AC for several more months?

I'd drive the car until it gets hot again, at the very least.

Originally Posted By: zzyzzx
So if I understand you correctly, your car's AC stopped working, so you want to get rid of the car, even though it's late September and you won't even need the AC for several more months?

I'd drive the car until it gets hot again, at the very least.

that is the plan, looking for something similar to a Saturn

I would just fix the Saturn and keep driving it. There really isn't much of a replacement out there that matches all your criteria. I have a 96 SL2 still, still on the road, commute back and forth to work with it. It runs great.

This Saturn was the one hit wonder of that company.

I would not seek out another Saturn product specifically as they simply are rebadges of other products except for the early VUE.

Complete hit or miss on an older vehicle in terms of reliability. Best of luck there.

Originally Posted By: SLCraig
I would just fix the Saturn and keep driving it. There really isn't much of a replacement out there that matches all your criteria. I have a 96 SL2 still, still on the road, commute back and forth to work with it. It runs great.

the problem is that a new compressor goes for $500 + installation, we are talking about $1000 just for the AC, is more than the value of the car

Originally Posted By: sirgerman
Originally Posted By: SLCraig

the problem is that a new compressor goes for $500 + installation, we are talking about $1000 just for the AC, is more than the value of the car

Is the rest of the car really that far gone? Maybe go look at $3-4-5K cars and see if you'd want to trade even for your car with working A/C? If you do then probably it is time for it to go.

Like hansj3, the Saturn Ion came to mind. The Chevy Cobalt used the same bones as the Ion and I've seen even some 2010 Cobalts listed with reasonable prices. I'd consider one if my Cavalier (with the Ecotec) gave up the ghost. Hopefully I don't need to for a while though. My sister just gave up on one of her Saturn SL's (if the rest of the car held up as well as the powertrain she'd probably keep it forever). As others have kind of brought up, with it cooling off now, it is to your advantage that it's not an emergency and you can hold out for a deal that you feel comfortable with. Good luck with your decision.

That's a tough call. I just dumped 1300+ in a 2002 Cavalier (900 for a paint job (I have a buddy who is a body man), 300 for dash parts and 100+ for misc stuff. The car gets crazy good mileage and looks nice now. I would put the money into the Saturn if the rest of it is ok.

Originally Posted By: sirgerman
What year is the good ecotec ?

2004+ have re-designed timing chain oilers which was a problem with 2002-03 models. I think they came out with the new tensioner design for 2007+ engines.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back