Greek yogurt: what do you folks like?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oikos Triple Zero
Dannon Light and Fit
Sugar is not too high, and the flavors are great. No aspartame, only some OK sucralose in the Dannon Light and Fits.
Glycemic insulin spikes from too much sugar is the enemy of anybody, and I'm not just talking about diabetics, all other people too you know.

Originally Posted By: BRZED

Greek yogurt has simply had some of the whey removed to make the yogurt thicker and creamier. I line a colander with paper coffee filters and let the whey drain into a bowl. The whey can be used as liquid instead of water when making bread dough.

Not necessarily, some companies just add starch and make it thicker, like that they don't lose the whey weight and you pay for it like it was yogurt
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: Andy636

Greek yogurt has simply had some of the whey removed to make the yogurt thicker and creamier. I line a colander with paper coffee filters and let the whey drain into a bowl. The whey can be used as liquid instead of water when making bread dough.

Not necessarily, some companies just add starch and make it thicker, like that they don't lose the whey weight and you pay for it like it was yogurt
wink.gif

I would not buy what you describe. I read the labels.

Originally Posted By: Andy636

wink.gif

I would not buy what you describe. I read the labels.

+1
We get a lot of Astro Original plain yogurt. Its made with Skim Milk, Cream, active bacteria cultures. 6% fat but I think a little fat is better than the replacements.
I usually stir in some of our strawberry jam too.

One thing I love about the Greek yogurt, plain or berry or vanilla, etc is it makes smoothies better
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: CT8
I like plain unsweetened yogurt the best. Too much sugar in the fruit and flavored varieties.

This. Even vanilla has lots of sugar. Some store brands are quite good and $4 for 32 oz.

Originally Posted By: Al
Originally Posted By: CT8
I like plain unsweetened yogurt the best. Too much sugar in the fruit and flavored varieties.

This. Even vanilla has lots of sugar. Some store brands are quite good and $4 for 32 oz.

How much sugar in them is critical. Sugar is OK up to a point.
Read a Dr.'s book a few years ago that the best rule to go by is: Never eat more than 10 grams of sugar per serving. Less than that means you don't get a glycemic inslulin spike, the real issue. Also, avoid over 200 ppm moly and 300 ppm boron, or is that motor oil?

Good stuff! There is a small import store/deli/bakery I buy it from that imports it from overseas. Can't remember the name. They also sell it incredibly cheap compared to "name" brands in the store: about 33%.

Great for making Tziki.

Originally Posted By: lubricatosaurus
Never eat more than 10 grams of sugar per serving. Less than that means you don't get a glycemic inslulin spike, the real issue.

Yea almost anything you stuff into your mouth should not have "double digit sugars".

My store brand has 9g/8 oz.

Last edited:
Never eat more than 10 grams of sugar per serving. Less than that means you don't get a glycemic inslulin spike, the real issue.

Yea almost anything you stuff into your mouth should not have "double digit sugars".

My store brand has 9g/8 oz.

On the food label, you need to look at carbs, not just sugar. Dairy products are fairly high in carbs due to lactose content. A cup of plain yogurt has about18g carbs.

On the food label, you need to look at carbs, not just sugar. Dairy products are fairly high in carbs due to lactose content. A cup of plain yogurt has about18g carbs.

A cup of my store brand plain greek has 10g. of carb

Oikos Triple Zero
Dannon Light and Fit
Sugar is not too high, and the flavors are great. No aspartame, only some OK sucralose in the Dannon Light and Fits.
Glycemic insulin spikes from too much sugar is the enemy of anybody, and I'm not just talking about diabetics, all other people too you know.
Sucralose isn't really healthy either.

Well, it sounded like you were talking about sugar before. My mistake. Anyway, what brand is that with the low carb content?

Originally Posted By: car51
Thanks for the info folks.

Oilboy123: I never tried making my own yogurt

warm milk (not boiled, not really really hot, just warmish...) (as whole as you can get, not 2%, 1%), plain yogurt, if you want it on the greek side add some sour cream (again plain not low fat).
use glass, try to keep warm/constant (some place it in the oven with just the light turned on)
1-2 days, then there you have it.

P.S. i think there are some threads some where on BITOG about make your own yogurt.

ENJOY! :))

Well, it sounded like you were talking about sugar before. My mistake. Anyway, what brand is that with the low carb content?

Any plain non fat greek yogurt should have about the same. I use the Giant Foods brand.
Maybe CT8 can give you better information

I'll have to try Giant Foods brand if I get a chance. I was actually talking about carbs in regular plain yogurt, not in Greek yogurt. That's probably where the differene in carbs comes from. Since I make my own yogurt, I have no idea how much carb it contains.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back