Sunoco gasoline.

Status
Not open for further replies.

pbm

I used a lot of Sunoco gasoline on a recent long trip and was wondering about it's quality. I don't think it's on the Top Tier list but it seems well regarded in the northeast. What do you guys think?

I don't believe it is top tier. I looked on the site and Sunoco is not listed. Unless it is under another name on there. I do run Sunoco on occasion and it runs very good in my car. Usually I run Shell 93 in my car. I don't notice a difference with the Sunoco. Whereas if my wife puts in this cheap Martins gt grocery store gas in it I notice it right away. I don't even have to find a receipt. I made the mistake of getting 711 gas. Car ran like garbage. So all in all I have to say that the Sunoco more than likely is a pretty darn good gas.

Back in the 1970's I remember Sunoco touted their 'custom blending' where you could get anything from 86 to 94 octane (I think). It was known as very good gasoline back then.
I was just wondering where it fits in detergent wise now?

Originally Posted By: pbm
Back in the 1970's I remember Sunoco touted their 'custom blending' where you could get anything from 86 to 94 octane (I think). It was known as very good gasoline back then.
I was just wondering where it fits in detergent wise now?

My dad managed a Sunoco station in varying degree's from '74-'88

He still references Premium as "260"

It is a fine fuel despite Sunoco going against the grain and not seeking validation from the "Top Tier" Gods.

Popular brand in my neck of the woods. I only use them if traveling on the NJ turnpike and need gas. Costco is much cheaper and top tier so I have no reason to use sunoco on a regular basis.

One thing I like is they have sunoco branded trucks delivering most of their gas. Most other brands here have independent no name trucks delivering their product and l sometimes wonder what is actually being delivered.

Sounds like they just don't want to pay the fee. They claim they far exceed EPA minimum detergent requirements. There was a time when BP didn't license Top Tier, yet they were known for having a high detergent fuel that probably met the requirements.

https://www.sunoco.com/quality-fuels/gasoline-facts-and-tips/

I've looked at the EPA registered bulk additive list, and Sunoco has its own bulk detergent additives. Quite a few of the big players buy from someone else like Lubrizol or BASF.

http://www.epa.gov/otaq/fuels/registrationfuels/web-detrg.htm

99.999999% of drivers don't know what "Top Tier" gas is , so as a company, why pay for the licensing when there is absolutely no return on that investment. I'm sure they get way more for their buck as the Official Fuel of NASCAR than they would with "Top Tier"

Googling Sunoco I found this:In 2009, Suncor Energy Inc., marketing under the Sunoco brand in Ontario, merged with Petro-Canada™ As a result, in 2010, Sunoco stations were converted to Petro-Canada stations.
....so that is where all our Sunoco stations went lol

Last edited:
That's about the size of it. The last company I saw actually push the fact that their fuels were Top Tier was the Co-ops, since they signed up last year, I believe it was. They had some little pamphlets and so forth.

Originally Posted By: Scum_Frog
99.999999% of drivers don't know what "Top Tier" gas is , so as a company, why pay for the licensing when there is absolutely no return on that investment. I'm sure they get way more for their buck as the Official Fuel of NASCAR than they would with "Top Tier"

Googling Sunoco I found this:In 2009, Suncor Energy Inc., marketing under the Sunoco brand in Ontario, merged with Petro-Canada™ As a result, in 2010, Sunoco stations were converted to Petro-Canada stations.

Please do not treat mathematics that way

Originally Posted By: mjoekingz28
Originally Posted By: Scum_Frog

Please do not treat mathematics that way

to many decimal places?
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back