Extreme cooling system flush Dexcool/Dexmud

Status
Not open for further replies.
Eric O from South Main Auto on Youtube. He's been posted on the board a few times. He just did a great vid on a Grand Prix that apparently never had the Dexcool serviced. The Dexcool turned to clay, and he has a unique tool for unplugging gummed up heater cores/radiators. The fun starts at 14 minutes, but you have to watch a little before that to see how bad the cooling system is plugged. I have no clue how this car could still operate without overheating everytime it ran!

Many drivers in California, especially in So Cal, never change these fluid for as long as they have the car: Brake fluid, power steering fluid, ATF, MTF and differential fluid, coolant. They only change oil and filter.

To them everything works why spend money to fix it, they don't know changing fluids are maintenance, not repair.

One of the reasons they don't change coolant regularly is the manual and the bottle/jug call it antifreeze. Since they don't have temperature below freezing for many many years, why bother renew antifreeze.

You think that was bad on Dexcool? Conventional green wouldn't have lasted that long being neglected nor anything else available when that vehicle was assembled

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
I hope he didn't replace it with more deathcool

There is nothing wrong with Dexcool. The problem arises when people need to top off their cooling systems and go in and buy the green stuff.

When dexcool and regular antifreeze mix they can form what looks like mud. The two fluids are not compatible.

Originally Posted By: edwardh1
the real question is, what "reward" was GM seeking when they switched away from a proven antifreeze and started using dex?
risk vs reward
Dex is proven and works very well in a maintained system.

Before you blame the Dexcool, remember that he nor you have any idea what the history of that vehicle is or what caused that sludge.

That guy works on all kinds of GM cars, if every car with old Dexcool did that he would know, and he would probably have mentioned it.

Originally Posted By: edwardh1
the real question is, what "reward" was GM seeking when they switched away from a proven antifreeze and started using dex?
risk vs reward

IAT service life is 2 years/30,000 miles
OAT service life is 5 years/150,000 miles

Even I won't pin this on Dexcool.

Blowout tool is awesome, but that system really needs quite a few good chemical flushes. I've rarely seen a better candidate for a CLR bucket pump flush.

The tech did say the engine had over 200K miles on it and the coolant, most likely, had never been serviced. My guess is the anti-corrosion qualities of the coolant were long ago exhausted. The "mud" was fine rust particles accumulated from the iron block.

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
It is always amazing how these old myths can hang on even in the face of complete falseness...

Werd. Imagine the shock people would experience I'd they realized how many makes have dropped their previous coolants for a Dex clone as their FF.

Plenty of pictures on the net about Dexcool sludge that looks just like the video. I guess some of you think that all the pictures are fake.

GM starting using Dexcool in 1996. Ford starting using it when? I think it was around 2011. There was a good reason Ford waited to use it, and used G-05 for a number of years. Same with Chrysler. Chrysler said that there was a problem with Dexcool and solders in heater cores.

And to who ever else comes across this post. Prestone all makes and all models antifreeze still contains 2-eha. The latest stuff with corguard still contains 2-eha. It is just a Dexcool clone, so please don't use it if your car is not spec for it.

Peak long life is a Dexcool clone too, and it contains 2-eha. Peak Global, while being an OAT coolant like Dexcool, it does not contain 2-eha.

To anybody that wants to question my judgement. I had a GM 1998 Malibu that I bought new with the factory fill Dexcool. It had two leaking lower intake manifold gaskets before it got to 100k miles. Yes those were plastic gaskets. I also experienced the Dexcool sludging , but I am OCD on car maintenance, so I caught the problem early, and changed the Dexcool with fresh Dexcool. If I had known what I know now, I would have definitely used regular green in it.

Anyway, I think the Dexcool problems are history because of automobile manufacturing changes, but please don't pretend that they never happened.

Dexcool sure did have its issues. No doubt about that, but alot have been misunderstood an exaggerated.

Would I ever use that stuff in something that didn't come with it? Absolutely not. But in its element, it safe and effective.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back