Royal Purple HPS 5w20, 5,311mi, 2008 Mazda CX-9

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
A particle streak occurs when a very small piece of dirt gets lodged in the bearings and spins around, gouging out a streak of lead, before becoming dislodged. A particle streak will cause a temporary increase in lead, and then once the dirt leaves the system, lead drops back down. To see a picture of a bearing that has experienced this phenomenon,

^ This is a quote directly from blackstones website.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Garak
Originally Posted By: donnyj08
Maybe..That doesn't mean it will foul them out in a short time period. it only has about 25% more Phos than SN.

Exactly. If it's not consuming a bunch, it's not a big deal. Phosphorus is not that much higher than some CJ-4/SM HDEOs. But, hey, you know how it is. If it's SN/GF-5 Royal Purple, it's weak stuff and they should be using HPS. If they're using HPS, it's got too much phosphorous and they should be using an ILSAC rated lube.

Agreeing there. This engine consumes 1 quart per 10,000 miles, not bad.
The engineers who established the SN 800 ppm hard limits on P were taking into account engines that might burn a quart every 1,500 miles.
Still, for the long term I wouldn't run high P oils in a car, not if you want the cats to get 100,000 miles of life. One oil change won't matter much here.

Basically, vehicles that are consuming a pile of oil aren't doing their cats any favours, regardless of the phosphorus content. With lightly consuming and/or "normal" vehicles, whatever that might be, I wouldn't worry. One quart per 10,000 mile interval is basically unnoticeable in an old style 3,000 mile OCI, and such a vehicle would be considered to "not burn a drop."

Are you a Preacher, Garak? lol

Maybe.
wink.gif
RP takes way too much of a hard time over nothing. They could give their oil away and people would still be peeved at them.

Originally Posted By: Garak
Are you a Preacher, Garak? lol

Maybe.
wink.gif
RP takes way too much of a hard time over nothing. They could give their oil away and people would still be peeved at them.

Haha, I agree with you there sir.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back