Ruger SR9/40C opinions

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am thinking about a Ruger SR9/40c for carry and I would like some opinions. I live in MA so my carry options are limited. I can't buy a Glock or XD I had owned a S&W M&P Shield and I shot it well but it really did not fit my big man hands. I can get some Kahr Arm models but the Ruger seems to fit my hand the best for a small/Mid size pistol. I would love a Sig 239 but it's a bit out of my price range. Is the quality there on today's Ruger pistols?

Ruger makes a quality product and both those pistols have received great reviews in the gun press...American Rifleman and G&A in particular.

I've owned a Ruger LC9 for two years and must say its a terrific gun. I also own a Glock 19 and S&W Shield, which is my go-to cc gun. My wife cc's the Ruger and thinks its terrific as well. I really like the look of the SR9 and wouldn't hesitate to purchase if I was in the market for another handgun.

Originally Posted By: Astro14
Ruger makes a quality product and both those pistols have received great reviews in the gun press...American Rifleman and G&A in particular.

+1 It is a solid purchase.

I shot the SR when it first came out but I hear the new ones have an improved trigger. For carrying, are you concerned with how the gun fits your hand or how comfortable it is to carry. The SR c is bigger than a Shield. If that deters you from carrying it, you're better off with the smaller Shield.

Kahr makes a good small pistol but are associated with the Moonies so you'll have to be comfortable with that.

Massachusetts has very restrictive gun laws, that do not allow most firearms to be sold there. It's under "consumer product safety" and many companies do not bother getting the certification to sell in Mass...Glock pistols, for example, can't be legally purchased in Massachusetts...even by LEOs...

So, recommendations for the OP would have to be legally available...thankfully, Ruger is in that category...

I've shot both and they are excellent weapons.

When my sister needed a conceal weapon to carry when she is out on hikes I recommended an SR40C. She bought one and is very happy with her purchase. Over 2000 rounds and never a hiccup.

Ruger makes great weapons and their customer service is excellent.

Bill

I carry an SR9c daily. I've been happy with it. It is fairly light and compact.

The main thing about it is that it is extremely accurate for how short the barrel is.

It's a great gun for $400

These gun safety laws don't make sense. There are many good handguns I can not purchase in California but my 1911 is okay. It's a single action pistol that I consider only safe in the hands of someone with some training and experience. I consider some of these banned double action pistols to be far safer in the hands of a first time gun owner but our government does not. It appears that their mission is strictly control and the word "safety" is there to make them appear harmless.

Originally Posted By: Astro14
It's under "consumer product safety" and many companies do not bother getting the certification to sell in Mass...Glock pistols, for example, can't be legally purchased in Massachusetts...even by LEOs...

That's because Glocks are inherently dangerous...every time you shoot yourself in the head with one it is almost always fatal. Better to carry a "safer lethal weapon". The DOJ in their "consent decree" to the Cleveland Police Department specifically told CPD officers that they were "no longer allowed to hit armed felony suspects in the head" with their Glock pistols because they could inadvertently discharge.
crazy2.gif
crazy2.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Bill in Utah
I've shot both and they are excellent weapons.

When my sister needed a conceal weapon to carry when she is out on hikes I recommended an SR40C. She bought one and is very happy with her purchase. Over 2000 rounds and never a hiccup.

Ruger makes great weapons and their customer service is excellent.

Bill

+1 I have owned several Ruger firearms and actually never needed customer service. I think I must have put 20,000 rounds through a .22 single action convertible.

Ruger makes a fine product. You can always buy one with confidence as far as what I have witnessed. I have two Ruger pistols and love them both (P89 and Security Six). My friend has a SR in 40 S&W and it has been nothing but reliable.

I own two SR9 pistols and they are very reliable.

If you are going to carry and want to use 9mm, get the SR9c as it is smaller and made for CCW.

My biggest complaint is that the SR line of pistols have a stupid magazine disconnect. The disconnect is easily removed, but has no business being on a CCW pistol.

I carry the Ruger LCP. It has to mag disconnect, no safety, less to go wrong. People like to funch that 380ACP isn't "good enough", whatever.

If you want to carry a 9mm compact pistol, a Walther PPS is a good choice but suffers from a problem is the backstrap is not completely secure, the pistol won't fire.

A Glock 26 is a good option as well.

I cant think of anything that would fit your needs in this price range. I was very close to getting an SR40c as my first handgun, but went with a P95 instead. Impulse buy Ill admit, but I am very happy with it.. Its just fat.

A G26 or G27 is more appealing to me for carrying, but I have child like hands too.

Originally Posted By: Doog
The DOJ in their "consent decree" to the Cleveland Police Department specifically told CPD officers that they were "no longer allowed to hit armed felony suspects in the head" with their Glock pistols because they could inadvertently discharge.
crazy2.gif
crazy2.gif

Yeah, IF YOU DO IT WITH YOUR FINGER ON THE TRIGGER. DUH.

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted By: stchman

If you are going to carry and want to use 9mm, get the SR9c as it is smaller and made for CCW.

My biggest complaint is that the SR line of pistols have a stupid magazine disconnect. The disconnect is easily removed, but has no business being on a CCW pistol.

I carry the Ruger LCP. It has to mag disconnect, no safety, less to go wrong. People like to funch that 380ACP isn't "good enough", whatever.

If you want to carry a 9mm compact pistol, a Walther PPS is a good choice but suffers from a problem is the backstrap is not completely secure, the pistol won't fire.

A Glock 26 is a good option as well.

No.

The Glock 26 is not a good option at all.

It is illegal in the OP's State of Massachusetts.

Recommending guns that he can't buy doesn't help him.

Originally Posted By: stchman

My disconnects have been long gone.
thumbsup2.gif

But be forewarned! The already excellent trigger gets even better with the disconnect gone. At least in the weapons that I've taken them out of.

Bill

Im not sure what is legal in your state, but look at the 5 shot snub revolvers by Smith/Ruger.

If strickly for home defense only, get a full size service sized pistol and a long gun.

Originally Posted By: AZjeff
Originally Posted By: Doog
The DOJ in their "consent decree" to the Cleveland Police Department specifically told CPD officers that they were "no longer allowed to hit armed felony suspects in the head" with their Glock pistols because they could inadvertently discharge.
crazy2.gif
crazy2.gif

Yeah, IF YOU DO IT WITH YOUR FINGER ON THE TRIGGER. DUH.

Well actually they did have two of those which caused the "one size fits all" ruling.....duh
spankme2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back