Shell V-power nitro plus

Status
Not open for further replies.
Like I said in another post, the V-power 93 octane is at $2.29/gallon now at the Shell in Ringoes, N.J.

I have not seen a less expensive premium than that from ANYONE, ANYWHERE in my travels in this area, as of at least a year now.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Garak
Originally Posted By: turboseize
My 2cts regarding V-power: it's fun, but it's not cost effective.

Here, we're lucky, as it were. Premium from most places costs the same. So, getting a Top Tier fuel like Shell's doesn't cost any more than a premium from an independent. There might be a couple discount stations offering premium for cheaper, but they are just as likely to be charging the same price.

Down here we are lucky and unlucky. Top Tier fuel costs the same as the independents but...Shell continues to charge a lot more than other Top Tier places. I tried Shell for about 5 tankfuls but am back to Quiktrip and Philip's 66 (both Top Tier and about 20-30 cents cheaper a gallon).

At the moment I'm posting this, the cheapest 98 RON fuel to be had within 10km cost 1.339€ per liter, while the cheapest liter of V-Power cost 1.509€ and the most expensive even 1.589€. (That's 5.63$ per gallon for the cheapest 98, and 6.34$ for the cheapest liter of V-Power per todays exchange rates.)

And those are prices that are considered "cheap", because a year ago, it was much, much dearer. (Even today, after 8pm, prices will explode, as they do every night, and then slowly come down during the day.)
Everytime I hear an american complain about fuel prices, I smile...
cool.gif

Last edited:
Prices fluctuating on a basis of time through the day is a bit strange. And yes, your prices make even Canadians quite lucky. I would be paying an equivalent of about 0.83 Euros for a litre of V-Power.

sprit.jpg

Here we have the three most expensive stations in a 10km radius at the moment. Note the small graph on the left, showing average prices of e10 and Diesel during the day...
That's a very common scheme. A lot of "free", non-branded stations operate only during the day. When they close, the major brands, who keep their stations open a bit longer or even 24/7, raise prices dramatically. On the next morning, when the small stations open again, prices begin to crumble...

Last edited:
That's interesting. At least two of the big selling low-end type stations here are twenty-four hours. Esso and Shell tend not to be twenty-four hours in this city, aside from a couple examples of each. Just about every Petro-Canada is twenty-four hours. Our Co-ops, with Top Tier fuel, roll up the sidewalks at something like 9:00 p.m.

Here, if stations raised their prices at night, I suspect the consumers would punish them royally.

At the moment I'm posting this, the cheapest 98 RON fuel to be had within 10km cost 1.339€ per liter, while the cheapest liter of V-Power cost 1.509€ and the most expensive even 1.589€. (That's 5.63$ per gallon for the cheapest 98, and 6.34$ for the cheapest liter of V-Power per todays exchange rates.)

And those are prices that are considered "cheap", because a year ago, it was much, much dearer. (Even today, after 8pm, prices will explode, as they do every night, and then slowly come down during the day.)
Everytime I hear an american complain about fuel prices, I smile...
cool.gif

WOW, how do even your WEALTHY burgmeisters afford to drive their S600s??!

Guess why Germans like Diesel engines so much?

VW doesn't like them so much any more... :^(

Hey, at least you guys in Germany have a functional train system that will actually allow you to get somewhere else in the country without driving. I wanted to get from North of Boston to NYC on Amtrak and realized that I would have to change stations...not just trains...STATIONS in Boston, I think about a mile apart, on the way. These train rides were not cheap, either...I ended up driving and paying ~$40/day to park in Manhattan, a lot easier and maybe even cheaper.

Seems like the Shell stations are bombing their prices for regular and not changing or increasing the prices for Vpower 93. I noticed a while ago that a Shell near me was 10 cents more for regular than a nearby Irving, but 30 cents more for premium. Just last weekend, I saw a Shell station I wasn't familiar with at $2.09 for regular and $2.95 for premium! I'm guess that might have been a mistake, but didn't check...that $2.09 was cheaper than any other place I saw in the area.

This seems like what I am noticing here. Regular priced competitively, V-Power priced fairly high. I haven't done a scientific study of it, of course.

robert

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back