grease gun recommendation with right angle couple

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think I might need a special grease gun, I have an 06 scion tC with hotchkis sway bar set. Here's a photo:

HOT22413.jpg

you can see the nipple on the brass bushing U-shaped-thingy (mount? what's the term? you get the idea). I have no problem getting at it for the rear sway bar-- those nipples point straight towards the ground. Problem is the front, the nipples point forward towards directly up, away from ground, into the engine bay of the car, and are difficult to get at. The clearance between them and...something above them...(? I don't remember, but it's something) is pretty tight, and I recall looking at it and wondering how I was supposed to lube them like that.

Will any gun be OK? This one looks good. I can't imagine Hotchkis made a huge mistake. Tried calling them, couldn't get through to someone. Oh well. I changed the brakes yesterday, wish I'd thought of this when I was down there.

Last edited:
Change the nipples for something that will work for you.

I'm kind of surprised there are nipples at all.

Are they urethane bushings?

Last edited:
Are these bushings actually designed with space for grease other than a little lube applied before assembly? Any lube will only help alleviate squeaking, I think. In terms of longevity, I doubt grease will be benefitial, since it attracts dirt and grit, which will mechanically wear out the bushing. I could be wrong.

why do you say special grease gun? You need an additional grease gun for special grease for that application?

I really like the "Lincoln Lubrication 1134 Heavy Duty Pistol Grip Grease Gun with Whip Hose and Rigid Pipe"

I got at amazon earlier this year about 45$

Best grease gun I've had in years.. ended up throwing out my last 2 due to airlocking etc.. even following instructions.

This one I deliberately changed grease 3x in it and its working like a champ no issues.

Last edited:
Use only the special lube that is designed for poly bushings.
As someone pointed out get some 90 degree grease nipples and swap them for the straight ones, you can take one to Fastenal and they will match the threads. Most are self tapping but some are 1/4-28 thread.

Fill a small gun with the special lube and keep it just for this job. They sell flex hoses that fit on the small ones, just make sure it fits before leaving the store some have different sized threads..
Not a recommendation, Sears is just one seller of these small guns and they do have flex hose for it. Just put one squeeze of this lube in the bushing, don’t fill it till it squeezes out all over the place and attracts dirt.

http://www.sears.com/performance-tool-mini-grease-gun/p-02820532000P

http://www.energysuspensionparts.com/9.11104

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back