F1 - 2015 Singapore Grand Prix

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yep, good point. It did seem odd that they'd be bugging Max to let Carlos pass at that late juncture. Carlos wasn't likely to get another position in the little time that was left, anyhow.

Originally Posted By: raytseng
But if you read the driver's quotes afterwards they explained way more what happened and what they were thinking anyway.

What did happen? Why did they want Verstappen to give up his position?

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
For once I enjoyed a race in the new turbo era. I guess I am a real auditory person and the sound of the engines just does nothing for me.

I agree. The 5.7 HEMI in my new Jeep Grand Cherokee sounds more dangerous than the song those things play.

You know it is bad when IndyCars sound better than F1 cars. Even the janky 3.5L V8 that was in the IndyCars before the DW12 sounded better than the new F1 engines. Bring back the high revving engines and I will be happy. I watch the races, but I don't get up early (0430 Pacific) to watch races live anymore. I record them on the DVR and watch after NASCAR, IndyCar or football is over.

Just remember, sound energy is just like heat energy - it's wasted, so they're doing something with it.
whistle.gif

Bring back the high revving engines and I will be happy.

As will I. Along with the faster lap times. I'm sick of listening to these little buzz bombs.

Originally Posted By: billt460
For once I enjoyed a race in the new turbo era. I guess I am a real auditory person and the sound of the engines just does nothing for me.

I agree. The 5.7 HEMI in my new Jeep Grand Cherokee sounds more dangerous than the song those things play.

With two extra cylinders and having 3.5 times the displacement I don't wonder. Having said that comparing your somewhat agricultural tractor motor to a hybrid 1.6L turbo V6 knowing the 1.6 probably makes at least twice the horsepower is not particularly a fair fight based on sound alone.

With 100kg of fuel to play with, these machines are about extracting every last watt of potential energy, and there is enough energy in the exhaust to warrant harvesting it, thus the lack of sound output.

Originally Posted By: Brad_C
Originally Posted By: billt460

With two extra cylinders and having 3.5 times the displacement I don't wonder. Having said that comparing your somewhat agricultural tractor motor to a hybrid 1.6L turbo V6 knowing the 1.6 probably makes at least twice the horsepower is not particularly a fair fight based on sound alone.

With 100kg of fuel to play with, these machines are about extracting every last watt of potential energy, and there is enough energy in the exhaust to warrant harvesting it, thus the lack of sound output.

Which if that was the regulation for WEC, that is fine and fits the purpose of endurance racing. F1 is all about speed with no conservation.

Originally Posted By: Brad_C

And that is precisely what is making them BORING. Give them all the fuel they want. This is RACING for God's sake. They're not running a fleet of taxi's.

Yeah, I'm not arguing *for* the current F1 rules, I'm just saying that within the bounds of the rules they are making the cars go as well as they can go.

Next you'll be arguing for big displacement V8's, low/no aero and cars that can only turn left.. oh wait..

It's horses for courses. Those little cars are pretty [censored] quick for a
Last years car was always more exciting than this years. Even in the 80's people were griping about how boring F1 has become, and the 80's are most peoples measure of the best years.

Frankly they need to look at the circuits more than the cars. Go back to small runoffs and big walls. Actually have repercussions when the driver throws it off the circuit and suddenly things will start getting more exciting. Right now the drivers can leave the throttle pinned because they don't need to keep it on the track. Make them actually have to drive the cars.
Monaco is about the last circuit like that, and the racing is always pretty good.

Lewis Hamilton made a great statement to Sir Stirling Moss when he said drivers today don't need to be brave. There's very little risk in F1 today. Risk is what makes racing exciting, not the noise.

There's nothing wrong with a bit of risk. After all, it is racing. But they will never go back to big walls and short runoffs. Those days are thankfully over.

Crashes aren't the right kind of exciting. Big walls and short runoffs turn things into a parade like Monaco; it's not a good race, it's nostalgia. And yes, drivers do need to keep on the track, wherever they are. There are consequences and repercussions to leaving the track. Ask Pastor. I'm sure he could regale you for hours with tales of leaving the track.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back