3.9 Dodge timing chain slap question

Status
Not open for further replies.
My 1994 Dodge has the annoying timing chain slap. 200,000 miles, little smoke upon start up.

I find tons of info regarding the fix.

But no info on if the chain actually fails.

I can deal with the noise, what about reliability??

Time to replace it.
I always use a double roller chain and sprocket.
While you're at it good time to do the water pump and by pass hose if it hasn't been done

If it fails you're a pedestrian. I don't think your motor will bend the valves so if you're only fixing things when they break just keep your AAA membership up to date and don't drive beyond walking distance. I've never experienced a broken chain. They usually make more noise than I can tolerate as they wear and I change them.

Definitely replace. It will eventually fail, and on the way there will start thrashing things nearby, not to mention getting your timing progressively worse.

You're lucky, the 70s Mopar V8s needed a new timing chain, alternator and water pump every 70k or so!

Originally Posted By: Chris142
It can wear through the timing cover and dump the coolant into the oil.

How is that?

If this is a van, I have a serious question: can the chain be replaced without dismantling the entire front of the van?

The Mopar 3.9 is hard on timing chains due to the odd-fire design.

Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle
If this is a van, I have a serious question: can the chain be replaced without dismantling the entire front of the van?

The Mopar 3.9 is hard on timing chains due to the odd-fire design.

I'm not exactly sure. The best way to tell is to look up the flat rate labor hours for replacing a timing chain. You might be able to find photos of someone doing the repair, and that would explain what has to be done to reach the timing chain.

FWIW I think the engine is worth putting money into it, even if you have to take it to a shop. I've known 3 people now who have gone over 400K miles on their 3.9s in Dodge Dakotas and fullsize p/u. I think these are among the best engines ever made for lasting a long time. They're not exceptional about anything else like power or gas mileage, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back