Royal Purple HPS 5w20, 5,311mi, 2008 Mazda CX-9

Status
Not open for further replies.
2008 Mazda CX-9 with 77,162 total miles. Mostly stop and go short trips around town and some idling. Royal Purple HPS 5w20 with a microGreen filter. I took the sample with a cold engine. Started it up to move it onto the ramps.

We were lucky enough to be chosen to be Pennzoil insiders for their Make The Switch program so we changed it out to PUP 5w20 with a Royal Purple filter for this OCI. Will get another UOA in 5k miles.

wear looks consistent with your last run aside from lead. Could be a particle streak like they stated.

Did you get a TBN? How short are your trips?

also the sodium number looks high for HPS.

Last edited:
Phosphorous too high for the catalytic convertors. SN specifies a limit of 800 ppm in an attempt to get the full life out of the cats. Good thing you are switching to PUP.
How do you get so much insolubles running a microgreen????

5311 miles of stop and go with idling

Without TBN or engine timer, I'd say that it looks good.

Other UOA looks like ATF

Originally Posted By: Greasymechtech

Other UOA looks like ATF

+1 OP how long have you been running HPS in this application?

Originally Posted By: donnyj08
Quote:
Phosphorous too high for the catalytic convertors.

Maybe..That doesn't mean it will foul them out in a short time period. it only has about 25% more Phos than SN.

Right...

Phosphorus will only be an issue if consistently consuming oil. If not, this amount is not an issue.

Originally Posted By: Bandito440
What on earth was that first UOA?

Royal Purple Max ATF, sorry for the confusion
smile.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Greasymechtech

Other UOA looks like ATF

+1 OP how long have you been running HPS in this application?

I ran two 5k mi OCI's of RP HPS before switching to PUP. Before that I have no idea what was used because I had some quick lube place do it before I saw the light.

wear looks consistent with your last run aside from lead. Could be a particle streak like they stated.

Less than 5 miles at a time. Multiple times a day. Dropping kids off at school, running errands, idiling in the pick up line...

No, I did not get a TBN because I figured I'd use the severe service OCI pf 5k so it wasn't needed. I'll get one with the next UOA of PUP though.

Originally Posted By: lubricatosaurus

How do you get so much insolubles running a microgreen????

I'm not sure but looking at that it seems like they don't work as well as they claim. And that was only used for one 5k OCI. It was one of their pink colored Breast Cancer Awarness ones if that means anything.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: SavagePatch

Less than 5 miles at a time. Multiple times a day. Dropping kids off at school, running errands, idiling in the pick up line...

No, I did not get a TBN because I figured I'd use the severe service OCI pf 5k so it wasn't needed. I'll get one with the next UOA of PUP though.

That is certainly Severe service. I think the oil held up fairly well. I'll be curious to see how the PUP does for you.

Thanks for posting the UOA, OP.

Maybe..That doesn't mean it will foul them out in a short time period. it only has about 25% more Phos than SN.

Exactly. If it's not consuming a bunch, it's not a big deal. Phosphorus is not that much higher than some CJ-4/SM HDEOs. But, hey, you know how it is. If it's SN/GF-5 Royal Purple, it's weak stuff and they should be using HPS. If they're using HPS, it's got too much phosphorous and they should be using an ILSAC rated lube.

Originally Posted By: Garak

Exactly. If it's not consuming a bunch, it's not a big deal. Phosphorus is not that much higher than some CJ-4/SM HDEOs. But, hey, you know how it is. If it's SN/GF-5 Royal Purple, it's weak stuff and they should be using HPS. If they're using HPS, it's got too much phosphorous and they should be using an ILSAC rated lube.

If that isn't the truth! Are you a Preacher, Garak? lol

What is a particle streak btw?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back