Mustang transmission update

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well,I got the news on the Mustang. Dead tranny. Cost to replace,$3074.30!! I'm ready to push that pos off a cliff or just have it hauled off.

My question. Before I start calling around to some tranny shops,I want to ask everyone's opinion. Is that my best route,to take it to an independent tranny shop and get a rebuild? How much $ am I looking at if I go that route vs Ford's price?

Just remember with a Ford reman there will be a 3 year unlimited mile warranty good at any Ford dealer. That will include parts and labor.

If you have a trans shop rebuild it, there are a fair amount of updates that they should do at the same time which are included in the ford reman.

How old is the Mustang ? If it is more than 20 years old then just call a junk yard to take it away, 20 year old Mustang is worth less than $2500-3000, I wouldn't spend more than $1500-2000 to fix anything, transmission included.

Call Ace Transmission in Corpus (if you are close to that part of South Texas) and get a quote on a rebuild or simply just a removal and replacement with a junkyard tranny.

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
What year, model, miles....?

It's an 07 V6. 127,000 miles.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
How old is the Mustang ? If it is more than 20 years old then just call a junk yard to take it away, 20 year old Mustang is worth less than $2500-3000, I wouldn't spend more than $1500-2000 to fix anything, transmission included.

Trust me,I agree!! Once this car hit 100,000 miles it started falling to pieces. Total piece of junk.

Cheapest rebuild quote I got is $1500. If I had a garage and my mechanic friends near,I'd do it myself (so I'd have someone to help me). We're in her hometown and none of her friends are the least bit mechanically inclined. My one mechanic friend that I've known for a long time moved away awhile back. Plus I'd hate to do a job that big out in the parking lot w/no garage.

Ask local shops about their warranty. If any of them offer at least 3 years 36k miles warranty you can bet they do quality work. I've seen some offer 3 year unlimited mileage.

Avoid any shop offering the standard 12 month 12,000 mile warranty

If you expect the rest of the car to go another 100K miles or so then its worth it to replace the transmission. A rebuild will probably run you over $2000 at a decent indy. Honestly if it were my car and I was to keep it I would spend the dough on the Ford unit.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
Trust me,I agree!! Once this car hit 100,000 miles it started falling to pieces. Total piece of junk.

Your 300ZX is 10 years older than this 2007 Mustang and probably more miles too, but I bet that with proper care 300ZX is still in good condition, while the Mustang is deteriorated up to a point that you just don't care for it anymore.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR

Your 300ZX is 10 years older than this 2007 Mustang and probably more miles too, but I bet that with proper care 300ZX is still in good condition, while the Mustang is deteriorated up to a point that you just don't care for it anymore.

^^This times a million!! My 20 year old 300ZX is still rock solid and tight as a brand new car. No squeaks vibrations rattles or issues. It's got around 104,000 or so miles on it now. I've had it since 30,000. It's never broken down or left me stranded,and I've driven it all over the country.

Shop called me today. He said 3nd,3rd,and 5th(overdrive?) is totally gone (if I paraphrased him correctly). He said the fluid that drained out was so totally burnt that it looked like tar.

This got me to thinking,Nick said in his post that maybe the dealership never even touched it. Could it be that I got bent over by the dealer and they never even flushed the fluid? Or,could a flushed tranny still be full of enough bad fluid to made the new fluid black?

I found an indy shop that'll do it for $1500. Gonna have it towed there tomorrow.

It will get more expensive before it's all said & done. The 5R55's are one of the worst automatics ever built....As far as a bunch of worn/broken stuff at 100,000 miles.

$1500 is to R&R the unit, New seals, Frictions, ATF, Cooler flush & a rebuilt torque converter. They will probably find a cooked OD planet & OD band, They will throw a good used OD planet in & a new band. And it will work for 20-30,000 miles & burn up again. What are they suppose to do at that price point?

The OD Servo Pin bore is WORN! It needs to be reamed & sleeved.
The Valve body has several wear points that needs to be addressed by reaming the bores & installing oversized valves or oversized sleeves & new OE valves.
The Solenoids/Block needs to be replaced, Nothing worse than getting 10,000 miles down the road & have a solenoid failure.

Good luck.

Originally Posted By: clinebarger
Good luck.

Thanks man!
smile.gif

Yeah once we get it back,we're getting rid of it asap. I'm trying to talk her into getting a truck,maybe a Tacoma.

Shop called me today. He said 3nd,3rd,and 5th(overdrive?) is totally gone (if I paraphrased him correctly). He said the fluid that drained out was so totally burnt that it looked like tar.

This got me to thinking,Nick said in his post that maybe the dealership never even touched it. Could it be that I got bent over by the dealer and they never even flushed the fluid? Or,could a flushed tranny still be full of enough bad fluid to made the new fluid black?

Edit, Overdrive (5th) & Intermediate (3rd) Band Servo Pin Bores are worn. And this is getting fixed...How?

I use this Sonnax 5R55S

The transmission had dealer service before this happened ?

If this is the case you should ask the shop to save the drain fluid and take it to service dealer to see what they say. If they don't cooperate with you(pay for the repair or at least pay part of it) I would contact Ford headquarter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back