Do you add MMO to your gas or the oil ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: HerrStig
I wonder how the 99 Camry in my fleet went 335,000 miles without the stuff, and is still in use.

Do you still have that one? How did it go out, if not?

Camrys are awesome..

Originally Posted By: kschachn
Originally Posted By: jk_636
I add MMO to my fuel and oil.

It quiets down ticking lifters and passively cleans my engine while the MMO in the fuel lubricates the fuel pump and keeps injectors clean. I have even added it to PS pumps that groaned excessively and it made them instantly more quiet. Always have used if, always will. I highly recommend it to everyone I know. A lot of old school mechanics swear by it and I have seen a lot of motor problems fixed or at least temporarily repaired by doing nothing then adding MMO to it.

You add MMO to your fuel and oil??? You, Mr. what is it - 5000 mile OCI on Royal Purple? Either you think that RP is a crummy oil that needs an additive, or you think that it is missing something from the formulation? Which is it? And please don't tell me that you have ticking lifters...

And where are people getting this bad fuel that clogs injectors? I had the injectors out of both my Sienna and the Honda for flow testing not too long ago. I thought that with the miles on those cars I should have them checked. They were fine, no issues with flow or pattern. What the heck kind of fuel are you buying that you need MMO to keep yours clean?

You have seen "a lot" of problems fixed with MMO. Sure you have.

I sure have. And I don't use it in my newest vehicle. There is no reason to use it in an Escape that was purchased brand new with an immaculate service history.

Wolf, I said it's worth the $5 to see if it works for him. I drive enough that I can say I use less fuel with mmo in the tank. I've used it for a long time in many different vehicles. I haven't seen any ill effects from it. I'm not a scientist and I'm not trying to prove anything. Just offered my experience. I don't use it every tank and I'm not saying it's a miracle but worth a shot, especially for the money.

Originally Posted By: kschachn
Originally Posted By: Jetronic
I've never ever seen a million dollars all together... therefor it doesn't exist...

I've never seen you either so maybe...

But I think, therefor I am....

I've never seen MMO either, the stuff is not marketed here....

Originally Posted By: ryanschillinger
Wolf, I said it's worth the $5 to see if it works for him. I drive enough that I can say I use less fuel with mmo in the tank. I've used it for a long time in many different vehicles. I haven't seen any ill effects from it. I'm not a scientist and I'm not trying to prove anything. Just offered my experience. I don't use it every tank and I'm not saying it's a miracle but worth a shot, especially for the money.

For $5, why would you experiment on something that costs thousands of dollars? And it's not recommended by any manufacturer? You could just save your $5 and see what kind of difference that makes. A btu is a btu.

Obviously the OP is interested in trying it. You aren't. Understood, but why are you so opposed to other people using it? It's not going to make an engine blow up or ruin the fuel system or anything. If it would do anything like that, I would've experienced it by now. Maybe all it does is lighten my wallet and make me think it's doing something. Ok. I don't have scientific evidence like you want. Still keep a few bottles in the garage and one in the trunk of my civic. You don't have to. I just said it's worth trying for the $5. Maybe the OP will like it. Maybe not.

As I have posted here before, I use MMO in my gasoline as I have several old engines that still get used. It helped almost immediately in an old Chrysler flathead 6 that always had a valve or two hang up after sitting all winter, it also helped with my flathead fords in keeping the valves/combustion chamber clean. I have my fuel delivered in bulk, I additize every tank of gas with MMO (32 oz. per 100 gallons) and it runs in everything gasoline powered I have, including my wifes '14 Escape.

I know the Escape doesn't need an additive, but for me its easier to just blend it into the bulk tank and use it.

"I don't think you understand the meaning about burden of proof. You don't need to prove a negative, it's up to the person making the claim to provide the proof. So if you can't prove it, it's not real."

When did I claim I was trying to "prove" anything? This is not a court of law. Plenty of real things exist outside a court of law. I merely posted a mix of my experiences as well as things I've read over the past couple of decades on the subject.

I use a UCL in automotive engines every 2-3 tankfuls. A bit more in OPE and heavier still in OPE that is still breaking in. I have seen some real benefits (mentioned previously) and suggested a few others as well based on logic, what I've read, similar experiences, etc ...

You make the specific accusation that MMO (and presumably UCLs in general) don't work. Where's your proof?

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
MMO is good stuff and has been since the 1920's i believe.

I couldn't think of a lesser reason to think it (or anything else for that matter) is "good stuff", but if that's all you got then that's all you got.

All that shows is that there aren't large piles of ruined engines laying around, it means nothing as to efficacy.

A little extra lubrication in your fuel system is a good thing its a no brainer.
Im in the engine business and i believe mmo works well if used properly, Use it if you like if not dont.

Originally Posted By: ChrisD46
Standard mix of MMO to gas is 320:1 ratio ... I cut it in half (640:1 ratio) just to add a little lube to gas as a UCL , fuel pump lube and to keep varnish off the injector tips . Here is a neat tool that makes measuring easy : http://www.csgnetwork.com/oilfuelcalc.html

DO not fuel pumps as well as water pumps have sealed bearing that never touch the fluid they are pumping?

funny RE: lubricating in-tank electric fuel pumps that run on E10 gas to remove "driness"/add lubricity part, no MMO supporters so far can properly (factual, of course) tell me why there's no massive fuel pump failure/destruction on all E85 EFI vehicles released during the past decade or so, esp. in areas where E85 gas has been used on E85 vehicles regularly....

Wonder how "dry" E85 would be, with 85% ethanol and 15% gasoline...

*confused*

Q.

Originally Posted By: MolaKule
Originally Posted By: ChrisD46
Standard mix of MMO to gas is 320:1 ratio ... I cut it in half (640:1 ratio) just to add a little lube to gas as a UCL , fuel pump lube and to keep varnish off the injector tips . Here is a neat tool that makes measuring easy : http://www.csgnetwork.com/oilfuelcalc.html

DO not fuel pumps as well as water pumps have sealed bearing that never touch the fluid they are pumping?

the in tank pump might, but the high pressure pump is diesel lubricated

Originally Posted By: InfmousCornholio
Originally Posted By: HerrStig
I wonder how the 99 Camry in my fleet went 335,000 miles without the stuff, and is still in use.

Do you still have that one? How did it go out, if not?

Camrys are awesome..
It's still going. I'ts my park in the city car but everything including the AC works fine. The filters have been Puro, since new, with the occasional Bosch when Amazon has a deal.

Last edited:
I use it in both in the Jeep, it does do some cleaning and I do get better mpg (more than enough to pay for the MMO) with it so I use it. I could care less if anyone believes me or not.

Our other cars didn't really care one way or the other except the Sebring but it wasn't enough to make me bother to use it.

Funny because I've noticed additives sometimes work in one vehicle but not in another. The Lucas fuel treatment used to do pretty well in an older Corolla, but didn't help mileage in my 99 Corolla. Different engines and stuff but I haven't used it since then. Wonder if it would do well in the 13 Corolla or my civic. MMO is cheap though, under $4/qt at Walmart when I was there the other day. I bought 4.

Funny because I've noticed additives sometimes work in one vehicle but not in another. The Lucas fuel treatment used to do pretty well in an older Corolla, but didn't help mileage in my 99 Corolla. Different engines and stuff but I haven't used it since then. Wonder if it would do well in the 13 Corolla or my civic. MMO is cheap though, under $4/qt at Walmart when I was there the other day. I bought 4.

I've had the same experience. some vehicles respond well to some additives while others don't. It could have something to do with mileage and previous maintenance.
When I acquire a new to me vehicle I do various flushes,piston soak,top end clean through a vacuum line,then a few short intervals using a flush type product at the end of those short intervals so I know I, starting off with as clean a slate as possible.
Then I'll start extending intervals and so on.

Originally Posted By: Clevy

I've had the same experience. some vehicles respond well to some additives while others don't. It could have something to do with mileage and previous maintenance.
When I acquire a new to me vehicle I do various flushes,piston soak,top end clean through a vacuum line,then a few short intervals using a flush type product at the end of those short intervals so I know I, starting off with as clean a slate as possible.
Then I'll start extending intervals and so on.

Since there are millions of vehicles being driven and maintained differently by millions of folks it seems quite likely that some will respond to an additive and others wont.

IMO there are places for MMO to contribute for a limited number of folks, and since it likely causes no harm it is safe enough to try...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back