QSUD vs M1EP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Branson304
Originally Posted By: fscarano
Thanks for the replies. However, I'll be avoiding Fram filters like the plague. I'll be using OEM filters.

Avoiding Fram filters like the plague? Haha, this guy... the Fram Ultra is the best filter on the market. Just as good or better than Mobil 1, K&N, etc. filters & CHEAPER. Look at them cut open. The Fram Tough Guard is also good, it's a mid-tier & it's decently built, good for 10K miles. I've ran the Ultra & Tough Guards in my vehicles completely problem free. I've also seen Extra Guards - the cheapo orange can - ran my whole life problem free. The PROBLEM is you people run the Extra Guard for 10,000 miles, it collapses & damages your engine & you blame it on Fram. The Extra Guard is perfectly fine for 3,000-5,000 mile intervals, but the Ultra is good for 15,000 & blows the competition out of the water.

Watch out here. There's a lot of fram fan boys on this forum. I agree with your comment to an extent. ALL fram oil filters are absolute garbage EXCEPT for the fram ultra which is actually really good and the price is even better when comparing to other top of the line filters.

Originally Posted By: wemay
I disagree but will leave you to your own devices.

Please don't leave me to my own devices!
crackmeup2.gif

+1

Originally Posted By: stchman
Originally Posted By: kschachn
Which is better, BMW or Mercedes?

Chevy of course.

For the OP, you failed to mention year, but most Hyundais take 5W-20.

Mobil 1 EP 5W-20 is $28.68 for a 5 quart jug at my local Walmart
Quaker State Ultimate Durability 5W-20 is $21.97 for a 5 quart jug at my local Walmart.
Castrol Magnatec 5W-20 is $18.74 for a 5 quart jug at my local Walmart.

Castrol Magnatec in 5W-20 is a full synthetic.

As you can see Mobil 1 EP is a more expensive oil than QSUD and Magnatec. Since you are going to go max 7500 mile OCI, go with Magnatec as it is the least expensive. The money you save can be used to purchase a Fram Ultra oil filter.

Originally Posted By: camrydriver111
Originally Posted By: dlundblad
This is like a Toyota Camry vs. an Acura TL.

I'd say it's like the V6 Camry vs. Acura TL.

The V6 Camry is more like Pennzoil Platinum.
laugh.gif

I'll be using OEM filter for warranty concerns. I still need to decide QSUD or M1EP.
Why is it between QSUD and M1EP and not QSUD and regular M1? M1EP is an extended drain (15K oil). As many have stated (including myself), a 7.5K OCI primarily based on highway miles is not a problem for any "regular" synthetic (even a blend would have no problem as would some conventional oils).

I'm under the impression M1EP is full synthetic?

So is the regular M1.

Originally Posted By: Torrid

So is the regular M1.

I've should of said real synthetic not group III.

So is the regular M1.

There is PAO (in varying quantities) in many of the regular Mobil 1 grades, which is the same for the EP grades.

So is the regular M1.
What is the difference and how does it benefit you on a 7.5K OCI?

Originally Posted By: 2015_PSD
So is the regular M1.

So you're saying for a 7500 OCI QSUD or M1 would make no difference?

[So you're saying for a 7500 OCI QSUD or M1 would make no difference?

finally..

Originally Posted By: 2015_PSD
So you're saying for a 7500 OCI QSUD or M1 would make no difference?
Zero difference--oh, a UOA might some some "differences" but those would be statistically neutral. You have to remember that highway miles (unless towing or similar) are easiest on oil and **any** synthetic that meets the specification of your car can do a 7.5K OCI. There are also synthetic blends that can meet this requirement and so could some conventionals. Your parameters for the oil are not very difficult to meet and you certainly do not need M1EP to do this.

Originally Posted By: tig1
crazy2.gif

I'm sure he's just trying to get the best info he can. It's hard to unlearn the fallacies you're used to reading over and over again on the internet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back