Who uses sea foam

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just plain water actually works better than Seafoam.. I didn't want to believe that until I discovered that putting "a little" water to a car's vac line, even if you can't get to a throttle cable to Rev the [censored] out of it, will clean.

Originally Posted By: InfmousCornholio
I use SeaFoam.

People act like the stuff doesn't clean...

I think it cleans, I just think you are paying way too much for a mix of pale oil and 5% Isopropyl alcohol.

I use SeaFoam.

It doesn't. Pictures were posted of its "effectiveness", which was next to nothing.

Just plain water actually works better than Seafoam.. I didn't want to believe that until I discovered that putting "a little" water to a car's vac line, even if you can't get to a throttle cable to Rev the [censored] out of it, will clean.

And you ended up with a lot of that water in the oil. Bravo
smirk.gif

I just did a water/alcohol decarbing on the old small block in my 86 Monte SS about an hour ago. She does seem to be smoother at idle and a bit quicker to the throttle. Misted it down the carb. Went through about 27 ounces.

Originally Posted By: Neely97

Positive in what way?

Smoother idle. A little more pickup. Possibly a little better fuel milage although I havent checked yet.

Originally Posted By: spasm3
b-12 is a stronger solvent , with out the pale oil.

+1 I use B12 in my Equinox every so often. Usually once a year. I've also used techron and like that a lot

I use Sea Foam to stabilize my gas and have found nothing that even comes close to compare to it for the many months/years my equipment sits. It works great. I use Berryman for cleaning. I have never saw a carb carbon that stuff doesn't disolve. It's bad A.

I used SeaFoam in a snowmobile a handful of years ago. Left it in over summer as a fuel stabilizer. It ate the fuel pick line in the tank. The sled was an 2008 so it wasn't like it was old or had [censored] fuel lines from the 70s. Never bought it again.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
I use SeaFoam.

It doesn't. Pictures were posted of its "effectiveness", which was next to nothing.

I saw similar videos of it's effectiveness. I couldn't believe the conclusions the author was drawing from the video I was watching. It seemed like he really wanted to believe it cleans stuff.

Originally Posted By: Lapham3
I've used it from time to time over the years-not because it does anything, but because they're a mile from me and I like to support local business!!

We must be in the same city. I have used it and will continue to use up what I have (mostly as a fuel stabilizer & carb cleaner for seasonal engines), then I'm probably going to be blending my own concoction.

I used to know someone that worked there and I got two cases for... well let's just say CHEAP! (Not stolen. Lets just say you're paying a hefty retail markup, and the retailer paid a hefty markup to the distributor, and SeaFoam made a profit when they sold to the distributor...)

People claiming smoke show is carbon deposits removed from engine... idiots. Does Sea Foam do some of what it claims, probably (IMO yes based on my own use as a fuel stabilizer/carb-cleaner). Is it the very best ________ (anything that it claims to be)? Probably not but it's a decent "swiss-army-knife".

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
I use SeaFoam.

Are you speaking specifically as to vacuum induction through the brake booster lines?

Are you talking about ChrisFix on Youtube's tests and videos?

I would say to you that it DOES clean.. just perhaps not in the "smoke show" videos. I have some I am dipping this head bolts in, and it cleans in a manual sense, sort of how gasoline does, I suppose - this from experiences and uses I found on other forums, like the Blazer forum, etc. (*even then I believe that it does break up carbon, if it is allowed to sit on the valves on a hot engine.)

I would admit it is fairly useless in gasoline.

I have some I am dipping this head bolts in, and it cleans in a manual sense, sort of how gasoline does, I suppose.

You've chosen an expensive parts cleaner.

Are you speaking specifically as to vacuum induction through the brake booster lines?

Are you talking about ChrisFix on Youtube's tests and videos?

I would say to you that it DOES clean.. just perhaps not in the "smoke show" videos. I have some I am dipping this head bolts in, and it cleans in a manual sense, sort of how gasoline does, I suppose - this from experiences and uses I found on other forums, like the Blazer forum, etc. (*even then I believe that it does break up carbon, if it is allowed to sit on the valves on a hot engine.)

I would admit it is fairly useless in gasoline.

There was a discussion about some videos posted (I think those were the ones) where I decided to take some screenshots.

Run through the intake/booster effectiveness (next to nothing) and then soaking the piston top with it (which at least did something):

Seafoam01.jpg

This is why it is a sham when you do a "smoke show". What you are seeing is the pale oil burning off, not cleaning.

There's an entire thread on here with this photo in context if you want to search for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back