Slingshot for home defence?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Astro14
Originally Posted By: HerrStig
At the start of WWII, with NRA assistance, hundreds of thousands of firearms were collected and sent to the UK for home defense against a German invasion. After the war it was back to business as usual over there.

Defenseless as the war started...the British Home Guard received hundreds of thousands of weapons and millions of rounds of ammunition as donations from the citizens of the U.S. The invasion never happened.

So, after the war, they destroyed most of the firearms that were donated. A few were returned to the generous folks that sent them.

Dramatically proving that ideology isn't influenced by facts or experience.

Imagine what might have happened if the USA was disarmed at the time.

This thread remined me to get some fresh surgical tubing for my Truemark. I like to take my slingshot with me on bike rides and hikes. Never know if I'll break an ankle and if a coywolf or a mule deer may get too friendly. May have to shoot a rabbit for food. Also use paintballs with my slingshot for marking purposes. 303 spray prolongs band/tube life considerably. I agree that a slingshot is more of an offensve weapon, but at over 15 feet it can work for defense. I have yet to try lighting strike-anywhere matches at 30 feet.

Originally Posted By: Astro14
I read the link I posted.

From YOUR government.

Listen to yourself - semi auto in .22 only? Handgun limits? 3 round shotguns?

That's not "pretty much whatever you can show that you need"...that's a very limited selection of weapons useful for sport and NOT particularly useful for self defense.

Your cops get semiautomatic handguns, semiautomatic rifles, shotguns with more than 3 rounds. So can we, if we're of age, not felons, etc...

You can't get any of those. No British citizen can. They're banned.

You have some of the most restrictive gun laws in the world. Sadly, you seem blissfully unaware of how severely curtailed your rights are...but I am, because I read through your laws...

What's even worse is this: you found yourselves completely unprepared for a potential German invasion, because British citizens didn't own weapons, so the Home Guard had no supply as all weapons were going to deploying troops.

You had to rely on the generosity of American citizens for your home defense, and the U.S. Government for your war materiel. It was called Lend-Lease.

And you, as a people, were OK with that. So comfortable with being unprepared and unarmed that you allowed your government to restrict you further!

That's the only nonsense in this thread, your willingness to be disarmed, and your specious claims to the contrary.

You are not a free people.
And I thought the restrictions here were bad. Ours are nothing compared to this.

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
I don't need home defense. Where do you live? I would move if I needed a weapon for home or self protection. Or Id go to a psychotherapist for my paranoid tendencies ...

That rant out of the way, Ive dreamt about crossbows and spearguns
smile.gif

I guess that in New Hampshire, its mostly sticks, and you truly don't have to worry so much.
For the rest of us, the probability of a home invasion is low, but should it happen,the violence quotient would be off the charts. That is no fantasy, but my observation of news and police reports.
I doubt that a crossbow would be better than a slingshot. The sling could come into "battery" faster, but a gas powered spear gun would probably work for the distances involved.

With what is happening in Europe today, with the Muslim Middle East invasion, they'll soon wish they had weapons. Not to mention when sub Sahara Africa gets wind of this, and they start over running European borders as well. This is going to become a violent mess of epic proportions!...... And no citizens with weapons.

Originally Posted By: billt460
With what is happening in Europe today, with the Muslim Middle East invasion, they'll soon wish they had weapons. Not to mention when sub Sahara Africa gets wind of this, and they start over running European borders as well. This is going to become a violent mess of epic proportions!...... And no citizens with weapons.

They already are.

The people arriving in Europe are not only from Syria, they're also from Iraq and Afghanistan, AND from Afrika (Senegal is mentioned a lot in news reports).

Most are fortune seekers, only a small perecentage are actually running from the war in Syria

I agree 100% [/quote] I need to drive a car and drink water, but I don't want idiots with weapons. Plenty of them unfortunately in my neighborhood. I had to stay in my car for the coast to be clear after coming home from the grocery store as the neighbor was doing target practice and stray rounds were clipping branches in my driveway.

I live in the Utopia of Southern NH
smile.gif

In nearly 60 years the only friends that died from gunfire where those who pointed the gun at themselves. [/quote]

LOL does not sound like the definition of a safe utopia to me if you had to wait for police due to your neighbor and there are "idiots" with guns in your neighborhood.....to me that sounds like I would want to protect myself and my family with a gun of my own....but thats just me and I hope for your safety you are right.

Originally Posted By: Jetronic
Originally Posted By: billt460

They already are.

The people arriving in Europe are not only from Syria, they're also from Iraq and Afghanistan, AND from Afrika (Senegal is mentioned a lot in news reports).

People travel and relocate all the time - look at all the white people in NA. What's important is if the person is trustworthy and respectable or if they're a d1ck. Country or origin is a non-sequitur.
Most are fortune seekers, only a small perecentage are actually running from the war in Syria

I save the old steel balls from FWD/4WD wheel bearing jobs. The cases are easy to take apart and I have about 20 10-12mm balls I use in my high power slingshot. One time I missed my target and I hit the shed. It went right through T-111 siding and put a significant dent in the gas can inside. While many of you said slingshots are no substitute for firearms, they are a force to be reckoned with. Best of all, the make practically no noise.

You want to know what makes a scary piece of slingshot ammo? Remove the roller ball from a roll-on antiperspirant (If they still make it). When I was a kid I used these in a "wrist-rocket" to shoot plastic models - wow!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back