Tonight's Moon

Status
Not open for further replies.
800 mm lens, f/5.6 @ 1/320 sec, ISO 200, handheld but stabilized, from my backyard, one hour ago. For some fun, try to find some of the Apollo landing sites. The Annunaki are hiding on the dark side, biding their time.
wink.gif

15n6r1x.jpg

Apollo_landing_sites.jpg

You can see a lot of atmospheric distortion thanks to it being a hot day, if you examine the wavy looking skyline of the Moon. It also affects sharpness and contrast. I was hoping for an airliner to make a transit, but no such luck.

Nice. Do you have any trouble with your lens focusing past infinity?

I know 238k miles isn't infinity, as well.
wink.gif

Very nice shot - the overlay is interesting too.

But I suspect this isn't how it looked "as shot". Can you post the original cropped from the camera? It would be interesting to know what post processing was dond to pull out the features and get the contrast.

When you gaze at the moon have you ever noticed one odd bright star in the sky that just looks larger and brighter than any other star. From Southern California you can see this star by looking toward the east just above the horizon in the hours before dawn. It stays their as the other stars rotate west. It remains.

Sometimes it appears in the west just above the horizon. For about 5 years I have asked people what that "star" might be. Not one person has ever answered correctly. So, I'll ask you the same question. What is that bright star?

Scroll down to find the answer....

It's the ISS.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
Nice. Do you have any trouble with your lens focusing past infinity?

I know 238k miles isn't infinity, as well.
wink.gif

No problem, because the lens can foucs well past infinity. Long lenses have a lot of barrel expansion due to temperature and to compenate for ficus breathing, they can focus past infinity.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2

But I suspect this isn't how it looked "as shot". Can you post the original cropped from the camera? It would be interesting to know what post processing was dond to pull out the features and get the contrast.

This is a scaled but uncropped version from the original 12 bit jpg that fell out of the camera. I adjusted the color a bit for a more reddish look that matched what I saw. After a little tone mapping, I added a large radius unsharp mask to raised local contrast and finally I added a small radius unsharp mask for final sharpening.

kaqq20.jpg

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
When you gaze at the moon have you ever noticed one odd bright star in the sky that just looks larger and brighter than any other star. From Southern California you can see this star by looking toward the east just above the horizon in the hours before dawn. It stays their as the other stars rotate west. It remains.

Sometimes it appears in the west just above the horizon. For about 5 years I have asked people what that "star" might be. Not one person has ever answered correctly. So, I'll ask you the same question. What is that bright star?

Scroll down to find the answer....

It's the ISS.

Good object for binoculars or even the naked eye. I wonder if with a fast tracking telescope one could make out any detail.

http://iss.astroviewer.net

Originally Posted By: Shannow
Have you seen the holograph of the moon refresh ?

The so called wave phenomenon ?

The wave phenomenon looks like screen lag/tearing in an electronic viewfinder. The effect could be caused by a fully electronic shutter with sequential sensor readout. What is this guy babbling about moonlight being "close to" sunlight? What does he think where the light falling on the Moon is coming from?
crackmeup2.gif

Also, people tend to accept conspiracy theories way too easily. Considering that people generally have loose lips, and that the collective intelligence of organizations is reciprocally inverse to the number of their members, conspiracies are nearly impossible to pull of on a large scale. See Watergate. Many believe mindlessly the Moon landing was fake. Do they realize sucessfully pulling off the Moon landing would have been more diifficult than making the actual Moon landing possible? The Moon holograph hyothesis, I am hesitant to use that term here, is in my opinion beyond stupid and strictly Weekly World News stuff. Every space faring and space exploring nation would have to be on the cover-up. I see you lost your signature line.

Originally Posted By: BRZED
Also, people tend to accept conspiracy theories way too easily. Considering that people generally have loose lips, and that the collective intelligence of organizations is reciprocally inverse to the number of their members, conspiracies are nearly impossible to pull of on a large scale. See Watergate. Many believe mindlessly the Moon landing was fake. Do they realize sucessfully pulling off the Moon landing would have been more diifficult than making the actual Moon landing possible? The Moon holograph hyothesis, I am hesitant to use that term here, is in my opinion beyond stupid and strictly Weekly World News stuff. Every space faring and space exploring nation would have to be on the cover-up. I see you lost your signature line.

Really?

100000 people worked on the nuclear bomb and nothing ever got out.

As far as conspiracy theories go people DO talk about them. It's all out there in the public domain.
Try google.

Originally Posted By: Clevy

Really?

100000 people worked on the nuclear bomb and nothing ever got out.

Ever hear of the Rosenbergs? Not of any other breeches either?

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/09/30/scienc...-says.html?_r=0

Quote:
As far as conspiracy theories go people DO talk about them. It's all out there in the public domain.
Try google.

Not interested in the loony rants of saliva dripping nutbags.

This is a scaled but uncropped version from the original 12 bit jpg that fell out of the camera. I adjusted the color a bit for a more reddish look that matched what I saw. After a little tone mapping, I added a large radius unsharp mask to raised local contrast and finally I added a small radius unsharp mask for final sharpening.

kaqq20.jpg

Thanks! It's been pretty clear and dry here lately so some night I need to go out with the 500mm and try. I can never seem to get the craters to pop like that - I guess unsharp mask helps,with that?

crackmeup2.gif

Are you sure?
wink.gif

kaqq20.jpg

Thanks! It's been pretty clear and dry here lately so some night I need to go out with the 500mm and try. I can never seem to get the craters to pop like that - I guess unsharp mask helps,with that?

First of all, a really sharp image without any motion blur is critical, because any blur will reduce the subtle contrast and detail of the Moon's surface dramatically. Adjusting levels and curves lets you tweak contrast and tonal range respectively. The USM lets you increase local contrast and lets you sharpen the image. Use a tri or quadra-pod. If you use a DSLR, lock up the mirror to eliminate mirror slap and use the selftimer or a cable/remote release to eliminate any shock. If your camera has it, use first curtain electronic shutter or fully electronic shutter to eliminate shutter shock. be advised that using fully electronic shutter results in a slightly noisier image. If your camera is mirrorless and has focus peaking, use it in conjunction with maximum viewfinder magnification to ensure tack-sharp focus.

Originally Posted By: Benito

crackmeup2.gif

Are you sure?
wink.gif

Well, they can be entertaining!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back