fried toyota

Status
Not open for further replies.
Today at work we had a 97 camry in for an overheat issue. The car has 234,000 on it and when i got in you could smell that burnt smell. It took a little longer than normal but did start . Sounded like the water pump filed. I popped the hood and the water pump is making a racket and i found the overflow cap is melted to the reservoir. Everything smells burnt. The radiator cap is also melted into the radiator. There is grey muddy stuff (possibly stop leak in the reservoir. And the car failed a combustion leak test but surprisingly still ran. As hot as it got i couldn't believe it wasnt spewing fluids or locked up. There was no oil on the stick. It took 3 quarts to get it on the stick the dipstick smelles burnt. The car alao leaked some fluid has for sometime oil and p/s the oil pan was so hot that it baked the leaky fluids on to the oil pan amd turned them to a solid state where you literally had to scrape it off with a putty knife. When the service manager asked how long he drove it like this. He said not to long the a/c started blowing hot air and the car died completely 30 mins after that.....30 MINUTES!!! This toyota is one tough customer. I feel sad for the car but also am very impressed.

A 1997 Toyota with almost 240,000 miles, let's talk about how awful Toyotas are........

I must agree. My parents own a 93 or 94 4cyl with over 400k on the odo now. That thing runs smooth and strong never having seen synthetic or any other special maintenance. I too am very impressed. Every time i see it, i scratch my head and think how I'm overthinking things on this site.

yeah those older Toyotas run very well the new ones not nearly as good... Take a picture of the over 400,000 odometer i would like to see that

If it's a 4cyl, almost the entire dipstick represents only 1 quart of oil, nothing shows up on the dipstick until the last and final qt when changing the oil.

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
yeah those older Toyotas run very well the new ones not nearly as good... Take a picture of the over 400,000 odometer i would like to see that

Great idea. When i see them this weekend, I'll try to remember.

Newbie with a 97 Camry also. 323,000 miles and purrs like a kitten. Never Synthetic oil. Never babied it. Did valve cover gaskets and its clean as a whistle inside.

its a toyota. it really doesnt need a cooling system. just drain whatever water/antifreeze there is, top up the oil in the crank, and send it on its way.

Those were great times for Toyota.

Those older style but still rounded features era of toyotas (like mid 1990s) were also the best looking, IMO.

Originally Posted By: xracer390
Newbie with a 97 Camry also. 323,000 miles and purrs like a kitten. Never Synthetic oil. Never babied it. Did valve cover gaskets and its clean as a whistle inside.

No need for synthetic oil to have a clean, smooth running engine.

Put oil in it so i could run the engine and see what all was going on. Im not sure how hot it got but I can only imagine.

I saw someone run an engine with no coolant flow (lost the WP) until it stopped and wouldn't crank. It got towed in and parked overnight to cool.

I filled the radiator and it fired right up...did the water pump and the dude was still driving it at least 3 years later. It was an E150 van with a 300ci six...I recall just over 150,000 miles.

2.2L or 3.0L?

Makes me feel good about my car haha!

Tough as nails and no drama. That's all I ask for in a car.

Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle
I saw someone run an engine with no coolant flow (lost the WP) until it stopped and wouldn't crank. It got towed in and parked overnight to cool.

I filled the radiator and it fired right up...did the water pump and the dude was still driving it at least 3 years later. It was an E150 van with a 300ci six...I recall just over 150,000 miles.

Same experience I can report on my 1986 Volkswagen Jetta. Thought I killed it. Needle pegged, drove for some time like that before shutting off in College lot. Did it die? Seize?

Nope! Started right up after clocking through class. About maybe 3 hours.. still was WARM but umm lesser cars die and seize...

Jarlaxe, that E150. Cast iron Block AND head ?? .. (VW was, my Blazer is)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back