Harley fork oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
What would you guys recommend for fork oil in a 07 softail? 75% of the time I'm by my self other 25 its two up.
Thanks

I was thinking same thing BigCahuna, just wasn't sure thats what that was. Any one else running atf in their forks?

I've used it in my sport cruiser... ATF should be about a 7.5-10wt fork oil equivalent. In my other bikes I use Maxima Racing Fork Oil, 5wt because their cartridge rod forks. Damper rod fork should get 10-20wt.

Refiled them with Valvoline synthetic atf today. Seems like a ride is a bit stiffer but might be in my head too.
Man one has to put in exactly the amount specified to leave an air gap, other wise forks are dang near rock solid.
Thanks for the help gents.

Originally Posted By: JeePing
Refiled them with Valvoline synthetic atf today. Seems like a ride is a bit stiffer but might be in my head too.
Man one has to put in exactly the amount specified to leave an air gap, other wise forks are dang near rock solid.
Thanks for the help gents.

Yes, there must be an air gap... not sure how HD specifies it. Usually its with the forks compressed, spring removed, measured down from the top of the fork tube (6-7").

http://mahonkin.com/~milktree/motorcycles/fork-oil.html

This might help

It has been 300 miles or so on a change now. Cant tell the difference between what was in it and the atf. Rides just like from factiry.
Thanks for the input fellas.

This thread reminded me that I'm due for my 20k fork oil replacement. I realized I have some Honda/Showa SS-8 10w fork oil already so I'd like to use that up, from what I've read it appears that's equivalent to the HD Type E fork oil that the manual recommends. Anyone have any info on that? I also have some Honda HP 5w fork oil but I think that's too light and for cartridge forks.

I suppose while I'm doing the fork oil I'll check the steering head tightness and re-lube.

Any OP you're right, the SS-8 10w stuff also looks a lot whole lot like ATF.

BTW that's for my '00 HD Roadking.

Now to figure out what grease to use in the steering head, and if I want to use the zerk (which seems strange to fill the entire steering head just to get a little to the bearings) or disassemble and do the bearings correctly. I believe all the front end dripping problems you hear from HS owners are from 20 oz of grease being pumped in there.

Sorry didn't want to hijack your thread.

I believe you have to use a high temp wheel bearing grease, to keep it from leaking out the bottom. I have some cheap HF grease that almost turns to liquid on hot days. That for sure would leak out if used there.,,,

Originally Posted By: MoreCowbellAz
BTW that's for my '00 HD Roadking.

Now to figure out what grease to use in the steering head, and if I want to use the zerk (which seems strange to fill the entire steering head just to get a little to the bearings) or disassemble and do the bearings correctly. I believe all the front end dripping problems you hear from HS owners are from 20 oz of grease being pumped in there.

Sorry didn't want to hijack your thread.

http://lucasoil.com/products/grease/red-n-tacky-grease

This is the best. Fill it till it comes out the bottom and all the HD [censored] grease is gone.

As bmwpowere36m3 said, 5W is the norm for most cartridge forks. 10-20W for most damper rod type. So ATF is perfect for most damper rod type but too thick for cartridge type. Not sure what the 07 Softail uses.

The air gap determines air spring rate. Too little gap results in too quick a rising air spring rate resulting in a harsher ride over bigger bumps.

Most GSX-Rs run about 110mm from the factory which some say is not enough, but a compromise to suit bigger riders and worst case road conditions. Ohlins specify anything from around 120mm-240mm on their forks.

Never measure fork refill oil by volume but by height. bmwpowere36m3 posted the correct way to measure oil height.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back