What concentration Dexcool is too much?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did a coolant change on 2010 Cadillac and tester shows a 64% concentration. Not concerned about freeze protection, just that higher concentrations above 50/50 reduce the coolants conductivity of heat by some degree. Is 64% OK or should I adjust it closer to 50%?

64% is probably OK. Over 70% is bad. Add some water if you can, to bring it closer to 50%, it's a good idea, but not absolutely necessary.

Any amount of Deathcool is too much. Orange just like halloween, and just as scary, too. Use Peak Global Lifetime instead.

64% is fine, just make a mental note to only top it up with distilled water in the future.

Some folks would say anything above 0% Dexcool is asking for trouble, it appears Chevrolet got their engineering correct the second time around.
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
Orange just like halloween, and just as scary, too. Use Peak Global Lifetime instead.

Naw, I prefer the pretty color.

Do you feel like your math was correct on the refill or did you totally lose track? Was there a clear water flush in there somewhere too?

64% seems a little rich; I'd try for 50%, maybe next time around. Cadillacs make a lot of power and heat in a smallish engine compartment and I'd want that ship-shape.

IIRC those floaty ball testers have to be used at a specific temperature or they're inaccurate. Draw a sample of your so-called 64%, dilute it to make 32%, and stick it in the freezer.

225503_1592.png

-20'C is -4'F, probably right where your freezer sits. If it was 64% as you claim you should have liquid. If closer to 50%, slush.

Originally Posted By: atikovi
Don't think there is a measurable difference in viscosity between 100% coolant and water to cause any issues. It's not like oil.

You know.... It may be a dumb question? But... I always wondered if water pumps "spun more easily" with a proper 50/50 coolant mix in them, or more coolant than water... vs straight water.

If you live in a location where you will need -70 freeze protection, you won't be going outside for awhile so what does it matte? -34 F is is plenty enough for the lower 48.Even in Craig, CO which has got to be one the coldest places on earth in the winter time.

Anything under 70% is generally considered fine. Preferred? No, not unless you need something better than 50/50. Being in the Twin Cities, 50/50 is fine. If I lived up on the range, I'd consider a mix closer to 60%.

In the OP's climate, not necessary, but OK.

Originally Posted By: Bluestream
50/50 with water will give better cooling, no advantage to extra antifreeze unless you live in the Arctic.

+1 Next time you are going to do a drain and fill use more distilled instead of antifreeze. I wouldn't be worried about that % in there though.

Any amount of Deathcool is too much. Orange just like halloween, and just as scary, too.

You're smarter than that silliness.

Incompatibilities between Dex-Cool and older GM engines (wet intake) have no bearing on the performance of this antifreeze/coolant in a 2010 Cadillac.

Any amount of Deathcool is too much. Orange just like halloween, and just as scary, too. Use Peak Global Lifetime instead.

C'mon, no one is buying this baloney any more. Anyone with a brain knows that the coolant was not the issue with GM's....

Just top off the coolant tank w distilled water for now. Closer to 50/50 the better. Personally I run more water than coolant.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back