sounds like a good plan?

Status
Not open for further replies.
As I had posted a few days before, I bought a 2001 Ranger 5 speed with the 3.0 Vulcan 132k miles that needed some TLC. Things Ive done so far:

oil change (Motorcraft 5W30 syn blend and a Motorcraft FL400S filter, i plan on 5k ocis, do i need to worry about the puro tearing issues with these?)
new Wix air filter
upper and lower ball joints and sway bar end links and brake pads
tires rotated and lugs torqued to the proper 100 foot pounds
flushed out cooling system and filled with Prestone 50/50

Things to be done within the next month:
New Motorcraft camshaft synchronizer (starting to make the chirping noise)
new serpentine belt
new thermostat (engine is very slow to warm up)
PCV valve
drain and refill the 5 speed(not sure which fluid it takes)
new fuel filter
rear end drain and refill
power steering, brake and clutch fluid look ok but ill be changing that soon as well

Does it seem like i have most everything covered guys?
I want to keep it up as best as i can, it will be driven 7 days a week, 3 weeks at a time for work, 44 miles a day, which may not seem like much but ill be using it alot on my days off.

Last edited:
Hmmmm, seems like you have most of it covered getting all the preventative maintenance done. How about the brakes, maybe clean, lube and adjust the rear drums and clean and lube the front calipers. I wouldn't worry about tears in the filter. I use an MC filter in the Toyo Matrix. Maybe a dose of Chevron Techron.

Last edited:
If the engine is slow to warm up, and you think that the thermostat is stuck open, I'd be pushing that one up to the top of the "to-do" list.

I have a 2002 Ford Ranger / 128,500 miles

Get yourself an Owners Manual

oil change (Motorcraft 5W30 syn blend
Mine calls for 5w-20 motor oil

tires rotated and lugs torqued to the proper 100 foot pounds
I rotate mine and had 105,000 miles on originals.

flushed out cooling system and filled with Prestone 50/50
Check the Owners Manual for what Spec the Coolant should be.
I had Prestone All Make/All Model, but that did not meet the spec.
Last Week I changed the coolant using Zerex G-05
Zerex G-05 says right on container that it meets that spec number.

new serpentine belt
Save your old one as a spare. I keep an extra behind the seat with ratchet and socket.

PCV valve

When mine was 9 years old, I noticed the hose for PCV was cracking.
I ordered a new PCV from Dealer, and it was totally redesigned.
If your hose is cracking, wrap some electrical tape around it for now.

Recently I did a brake inspection and noticed an axle seal was leaking.
I changed both (L&R), easy job.

I spray under my Ranger with Fluid Film.
I also coated the brake lines with Never-Seize. Still today the brake lines look brand new.

Get yourself an Owners Manual

Last edited:
Always test or replace the radiator cap on old vulcans.

I've used half pennzoil synchromesh and half maxlife atf in the transmission with good results. Either one on its own would probably work also.

I would also go through the back brakes, take everything apart, clean, grease and adjust, and make sure the parking brake cables are free.

I made a mistake in this post. For the past 10k miles(now have 142k on it) I've been running Peak extended life coolant. Do you think this could have harmed the engine? I want to put the proper 50/50 Zerex G05 and distilled water mix in it. Is this a good way to mix the coolant.....I empty out half of a gallon jug of distilled water, pour in the G05,(in order to get a 50/50 mix)then pour it in the radiator. Then on with the next jug of water (half poured out)and rest of the G05 till the radiator is full and the air is bled out. Is this the correct way for a 50/50 mix?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back