VW admits to rigging diesel emissions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Last edited:
Originally Posted By: KrisZ
It's probably a good time to snag some of the leftover TDI's as the ones that will be built after this debacle will most likely have lower fuel economy.

How long till we see them rolling coal with 5' stacks? (Never, I hope).

For those that are into that sort of thing, they can and will modify any diesel. Which EPA regs they meet is irrelevant.

However, at least in the part of Canada that I live, I hardly ever see any modified diesels, and the one that are, are mostly pick ups. People buy them for fuel economy gains over similarly sized gas engines and not to roll coal or "stick it" to the greenies.

IMO, but EPA has outlives its usefulness for a long, long time now. They should be relegated to simple monitoring and compliance of the manufacturers with existing limits and not setting new ones.
What they do now has no relation to protecting the environment, but extracting as much money as they can.

The power elite don't want diesel to be the "go to" fuel in the US.

Too many people have their money invested in refining gasoline.

So USEPA has set a high emissions standard for the US diesel auto market.

That's the reason Mazda can't reach the standard with their diesel yet.

VW couldn't make it without cooking the books.

It's all about the money boys.

I didn't read the article , but what can you do to improve emissions? Add excessive EGR to reduce Oxides of Nitrogen? Advance injector timing?

There is no throttle and fuel injected = engine speed.
Maybe dissallow a throttle command at (low) rpm for full fuel?

wHAT SAY YOU DIESEL FANS?

Originally Posted By: HangFire
How long till we see them rolling coal with 5' stacks? (Never, I hope).

I've always wanted to see a Audi A8 TDI roll coal just to flaunt around the boys in lifted F250s
smile.gif

But seriously, I might be pushing conspiracy but maybe VW knows their diesels can't compete with a PZEV-rated vehicle or the hybrids from the mighty Toyota? Seeing how CARB didn't let VAG sell the TDI Golf/Jetta in California for a while since they are in bed with Toyota and Honda and CARB didn't want to see Prius sales in competition. I know VW did at one point license license a few SCR-related patents from Daimler but decided not to use SCR on a earlier batch of TDIs?

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
I didn't read the article , but what can you do to improve emissions? Add excessive EGR to reduce Oxides of Nitrogen? Advance injector timing?

There is no throttle and fuel injected = engine speed.
Maybe dissallow a throttle command at (low) rpm for full fuel?

wHAT SAY YOU DIESEL FANS?

The solution is to dump more fuel and exhaust gasses into the intake charge. The result will be much lower fuel economy, cooked up EGR coolers and shortened life of the DPF's.

Another solution is UREA injection, but seeing how the 2014-15 Passat (it uses DEF fluid) is included in the recall, VW must've done something different in those model years. Perhaps they were trying to up the fuel economy even more?

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite

Nitrous Oxides are all about temperature. Lower the peak cylinder temps, lower the oxide emissions. EGR is one way of doing this, but not the only way. Less turbo boost, fuel mix, water injection, etc.

Another tactic is reduce them afterwards with a catalytic converter, but that has other issues in a Diesel.

I'm saying, VW does this "reprogramme" CURRENTLY during ALDL port connexion for smog testing on the dyno to get a PASS, then goes into "non-smog" mode during actual driving.

Is this not the crux of the offense?

May be I should read the article first
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: SilverC6

So USEPA has set a high emissions standard for the US diesel auto market.

That's the reason Mazda can't reach the standard with their diesel yet.

VW couldn't make it without cooking the books.

It's all about the money boys.

An OUTSTANDING and totally ACCURATE POST.

What's so special about the EPA diesel requirements in the US? How much more stringent can they get compared to Europe?

I know in Europe there is an injector in the exhaust manifold that squirts an ammonia solution that drastically decreases NOx.

Originally Posted By: Andy636
What's so special about the EPA diesel requirements in the US? How much more stringent can they get compared to Europe?

I know in Europe there is an injector in the exhaust manifold that squirts an ammonia solution that drastically decreases NOx.

Andy, that is urea injection. many American diesels have a tank. My MIL's mercedes has one.

Too bad you just can't urinate in it...

""We do not and will not tolerate violations of any kind of our internal rules or of the law," Winterkorn said."

It seems the press has not asked Winterkorn if he personally knew about the defeat device being imlemented. In a different interview the Mercedes chief said he is sure that "Merecedes adheres to the letter and the spirit of the law," but that is as far as he went. For sure, the VW rooster-up is damaging to the world of diesel vehicles and affects all diesel engine builders. Now officials are going to reevaluate their smog test procedures in Europe to see if they have been also manipulated.

Originally Posted By: SilverC6

If that was true, the EPA would be going after Tesla/GM/Ford/FCA/BMW/Daimler for electric cars but then again electricity is the US is produced from fossil fuels. Although the coal lobby has struck out.

"We do not and will not tolerate violations of any kind of our internal rules or of the law," Winterkorn said."

Okay, so VW will identify a fall guy and make an example of him. But what happens when you reprogram the cars to meet emissions, but they clog up with carbon? Will you get your check book out and compensate the customer that put their faith in you and your advertising?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back