Oil Filter Question Regarding New Kia Optima

Status
Not open for further replies.
My wife and I recently purchased a new 2015 Kia Optima Hybrid LX at a great price. The dealer is about an hour away and asked how I wanted to handle the first year of free oil changes. I told him I change my own and that it wouldn't really make sense to drive there for a chance. I was told by the salesman and have read that if we change our own oil, Kia requires use of their original factory OEM filters and strict records of all changes. Failure to do so could void the warranty if there are issues which could be attributed to poor oil maintenance.

Anyone have experience with this? I found some Kia 26300-35503 filters on Amazon for right around $6.00 / ea. Says it fits the car and I'm thinking its going to be much cheaper than through the dealership. Hoping to get some feedback from people who have dealt with Kia and/or Hyundai warranty/oil change issues.

Thanks in advance,

CB9

If you get free oil changes have them give you some filters and crush washers.

I was going to try the kia/Hyundai OE 2.4L filter on my Nissan next and see if they run OK vs the expensive Honda s2000 filter. IMO the Nissan filters are too small and spotty to use through winter - had a lot of engine noise that went away with a bigger, "better" filter.

Buy a bulk pack of 10 oil filters from your dealer. Negotiate price with the parts manager. Mine was $50.

This way you only have to make 1 trip and you have a legitimate receipt.

Keep all other receipts for crush washers, oil, etc.

I scan mine, because many receipts degrade with time.

Keep a spreadsheet of date, mileage, services, costs and details.

Last edited:
BTW, put a bottle of Techron in your tank every 6 months or 7,500 mi, and keep records for this, also.

When my mom bought her 4runner, I was "threatened" by the counter guy saying that the warranty would be voided if I serviced her truck. It is all [censored]. He then tried one last time to defend himself by saying I needed many tools to do the task. ie an oil filter cap wrench.

I said I'd keep the receipts to everything up until the warranty was over. Those free oil changes arent really free IMO. A half a day has to be dedicated to a simple oil change. They are 30+ miles away too. With all the 0w20 deals, I can do an OCI pretty cheap.

Plus we have already had one issue with them after a simple tire rotation. I assume they are milking Toyota since they charged 2.5 hrs to do an unrelated service that wasnt needed.

I wouldn't fool with driving an hour just for an oil change
Just take care of it yourself and keep all receipts.
It doesn't cost that much.

Just keep a log book and your oil/filter receipts. Xerox the receipts since they will fade, or scan them into your computer. Write the date/mileage/vehicle on the receipt.

You can use whatever brand oil filter that you want, along with any oil that meets the owners manual requirements.

Lots of bootleg knockoffs on Amazon, Ebay, and internet stores. Either buy a case at the Kia/Hyundai dealer, or just use a popular name brand oil filter from any of the major autopart stores(Advance, Autozone, Pepboys, Napa, Oreilly, Carquest...).

Since Hyundai/Kia sometimes have oil consumption issues, I'd make sure that you check and top off the oil at every fill up. Keep it at the full point always.

That is the part number for my filter. I recommend using the OEM filters that are bought from the dealership. My owners manual says that all legit Hyundai/Kia filters sold in the us only have English on the box. Also, use the OEM filter to avoid the knocking that was warned about in a TSB from Hyundai.

keep all the receipts for the oil and filters and maybe even take some pictures of the miles on the car..You can use any filter that fits they cant void your warranty over that but i would use their filters anyway because Hyundai and kia have great quality filters just like their cars, good stuff!

we have a 13 sonata and I only run the oem filter since I read about them being noisy on other filters. my dealer will usually charge me 5.50-6 for the filter, then I use qsud . no problems

Originally Posted By: Stewie
That it has to be KIA OEM is .B.S

most people report noise from these engines with other filters---that is the only reason I use the oem... beside they are well constructed... the Kia and Hyundai are the same and for $5-6 it's a good deal

We have been using Tough Guard 9688's on my daughter's 2-15 Soul without the slightest issue, also have run Puro Classics, Napa / Wix, Fram and Mahle's in our 2012 again without issue. I really believe it's the older Hyundai/KIA's that are filter picky.

Originally Posted By: Cavball9
My wife and I recently purchased a new 2015 Kia Optima Hybrid LX at a great price. The dealer is about an hour away and asked how I wanted to handle the first year of free oil changes. I told him I change my own and that it wouldn't really make sense to drive there for a chance. I was told by the salesman and have read that if we change our own oil, Kia requires use of their original factory OEM filters and strict records of all changes. Failure to do so could void the warranty if there are issues which could be attributed to poor oil maintenance.

Anyone have experience with this? I found some Kia 26300-35503 filters on Amazon for right around $6.00 / ea. Says it fits the car and I'm thinking its going to be much cheaper than through the dealership. Hoping to get some feedback from people who have dealt with Kia and/or Hyundai warranty/oil change issues.

Thanks in advance,

CB9

The salesman does not know what he is talking about. Has he ever heard of the Magnuson-Moss Act? If Kia REQUIRES their filters to be used, then they must supply them to you for free. As far as requiring records, just keep receipts of the oil and filter and dates when you changed the oil.

If you change the oil and filter at the manufacturer's recommendation, the likelihood of engine problems with regards to lubrication are exceptionally low.

Kia does give a 10yr/100K powertrain warranty so I would imagine they want good records kept.

I would run a good synthetic like Mobil 1 and use either a Hyundai/Kia oil filter.

"Most people" do not report noise with other filters. Some people report noise with 'discount' filters. Stick with a name brand quality filter, preferably with a silicone ADBV.

Filter

Fram has a Hyundai/Kia specific PN.
Wix uses a silicone ADBV on the entry level filter.
And, other brands were good to begin with.

Knocking? check oil level and make sure oil change interval is acceptable for driving style

Originally Posted By: KCJeep
We have been using Tough Guard 9688's on my daughter's 2-15 Soul without the slightest issue, also have run Puro Classics, Napa / Wix, Fram and Mahle's in our 2012 again without issue. I really believe it's the older Hyundai/KIA's that are filter picky.

Same here, KCJeep. I have used various aftermarket oil filters on my 2012 Hyundai Elantra without any issues whatsoever. The filters I have used so far on the Elantra have been Hyundai OEM (#26300-35503), Purolator PureONE (#PL14459), Purolator Synthetic (#PSL14459), Bosch Long Life (#L3312), Mobil 1 (#M1-104), NAPA Silver (#31334), NAPA Gold (#1334), Hastings (#LF565), Baldwin (#B7243), and FRAM Ultra (#XG9688). I have seen posts from many other members (and I know of other people) who have used good aftermarket oil filters on their Hyundai/KIA vehicles without any problems. It's probably more of a problem with the older Hyundai/KIA vehicles like KCJeep said.

Hyundai OEM Oil Filter #26300-35503
Hastings Engine Air Filter #AF1511

2011 Ford Focus SE, 2.0L
Motorcraft Synthetic Blend 5W-20
Motorcraft Oil Filter #FL-910S
Motorcraft Engine Air Filter #FA-1890

The OEM filters are not only pretty well constructed but reasonably priced, local dealer is $4.95 so compared to a NAPA Gold or Platinum, or K&N or Fram Ultra, Pure One or most others it really is a pretty good deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back