TF wheelie bars?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: mjoekingz28
Does anyone know the fastest 1/4 mile ET without a wheelie bar?

I am wondering are cars faster without the WB or just safer.

The cars are safer with the bars, and they have been required for so long that the fastest times without would not compare at the fastest TF or FC times.

I mean with

The NHRA hasn't allowed full 1/4 mile passes in the TF and FC classes, since Scott Kalitta's untimely death at E-town, in '08.

RIP, Scott.

These days we are running 1000 ft.

The quickest pass to date in the 1000 ft era, was Shawn Langdon at Brainerd last month. He ran a 3.662.

Isnt 1000 and 1320 depending on venue?

The traps are just as high, in my recollection, 330mph at 3.6 versus the similar speed at, what was it ten fiften years ago....4.0-4.6?

The traps are just as high, in my recollection, 330mph at 3.6 versus the similar speed at, what was it ten fiften years ago....4.0-4.6?

No, it is 1000ft for Top Fuel and TF Funny Car at every track. I think the NHRA has said that they will allow 1320 if every track conforms to the new safety standards which require longer run-off areas. However their main holy grail track, Pomona, literally cannot extend their run-off.

No.

Per the NHRA regulations, we have been running 1000 ft at every venue, since the first race (at Bandimere) after Scott's untimely death. This is for TF and FC only. The slower classes still run the full 1320.

The trap speeds are back in the vicinity of what they were before the 1000 ft era, because despite the regulations which are intended to and do slow the cars down, we continually strive to find ways to make them run as quickly as possible, within the confines of the strict regulations. We do this because if we can find a legal edge over our competitors, we have a better chance of winning.

If we could remove a bunch of the mandated limiting regulations, the cars could run much quicker and faster than they do now.

I personally would like to be able to run a full 1320, without most of the limiting regulations we have now. The problem is that some of the tracks lack run-off, and they can't be lengthened due to confines of the property they sit on. Those tracks could be eliminated from the tour, but that would mean no Fuel cars at Pomoma, E-town, and possibly a few others. Since that would hurt the NHRA bottom line, and Fans wouldn't like it either, we have restricted Fuel cars running 1000 ft.

They are, but more runoff is better. When a car goes into the kitty litter parts can break and it can actually make the accident worse. They are moving away from kitty litter on road courses after open wheel cars started nosing in and flipping over. It also complicates rescue procedures slowing response time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back