2015 Ford F-250 6.7L OEM Filter [Cut Open]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I dropped the factory fill in my Powerstroke today (1,570 miles and 7 months--it sat on the lot from February until September) and replaced it with Chevron Delo LE 5W-40 CJ-4 and a Motorcraft FL-2051s.

A few things to note--they apparently used an impact gun to install the OEM filter because I almost needed a cheater pipe to get it off and the can on this filter was much thicker than any filter I have cut to date.

When I saw "Ford" on the base plate I thought it was a black painted MC filter with FoMoCo in white letters on the side because the orange ADBV lends itself toward that assumption as well, but the coil spring at the dome end smacks of a different manufacturer, unless that is how MC diesel filters are made.

Now, for the not-so-good, I am not impressed at all with the seam quality of this filter. I was running out of time and did not see if the seam was fully separated, but I will in the coming days and will report back. It makes me wonder how well it would have held up on a longer run--time will tell I suppose with the MC that is on there now.

I also installed rear wheel well liners, front and back splash guards, bull rings in the bed rails, and washed it--bugs are all gone Overkill
grin.gif

At any rate--enjoy!

RTFpIm.jpg

I2U52b.jpg

if43TS.jpg

Dy5Lxx.jpg

UI4zNd.jpg

rqdyZl.jpg

f6dacr.jpg

eXswVd.jpg

A8dfEx.jpg

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
I am not 100% sure but i think i remember motorking saying Fram made fords factory filters. I could be wrong.
Champ Labs has made some of them, but this filter looks "WIXish" with the coil spring at the dome end, but then there is the base plate bypass which smacks of MC. Not sure who made it, but that seam is epic fail. I saw a WIX 57151 cut open that had some serious wire backing in it. I have one of those in the stash too--will see how the MC fares in about 5K or so.

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
Looks like a Fram Ultra. Too bad the Motorcraft filters can't be wired-backed synthetic!
Sort of, except FRAM does not make an Ultra for my application. I agree though and that might be why I use the WIX 57151 if the MC FL-2051s does not fare better than the OEM--the WIX has microglass and is wirebacked.

Originally Posted By: cptbarkey
Try a purolator classic, much better quality product.
I will be using MC or WIX--remember this was the factory filter and there is not a good way to know who made this one.

"Try a purolator classic, much better quality product."

LoL ... good one.
grin.gif

Looks good, other than that seam..

Is that the blue truck in the background of one of the pics?

I'm with BlueOvalFitter.. Pics of the add-ons!

Originally Posted By: ccap41
Looks good, other than that seam. Is that the blue truck in the background of one of the pics? I'm with BlueOvalFitter.. Pics of the add-ons!
I wrapped the filter in paper towels so that I could inspect it a little closer (pics to follow). The blue truck is my neighbor's 3500 Duramax, you can see my F-250 (alongside my old F-150) in this post.

I will post some pics of the add-ons soon.

Any quality filter would be fine.You won't wear out the engine the way you maintain your equipment.

Originally Posted By: CT8
Any quality filter would be fine.You won't wear out the engine the way you maintain your equipment.
Agreed; but "quality" is definitely the operative word. I am not sure who makes the factory, but that was sub-quality and only 1500 miles. Many of the PSD owners in the diesel forums were saying to take it to 5-7K before changing it. Based upon the look of the filter, I am glad that I dumped it.

I know it is a different engine and filter but on my wifes 2002 Powerstroke I have cut open about 4 filters I have mostly run Motorcrafts and one Tough Guard and the have been fine. I like to change out new engine oil and differentials and manual trannies early for the first time and auto trannies can go longer before a early oil change because of the filter.

I like to change out new engine oil and differentials and manual trannies early for the first time and auto trannies can go longer before a early oil change because of the filter.
Yep; same here. Engine oil at 1500 and the rear differential will be at 5K and I will install a Mag-Hytec cover (adding 3 quarts to the capacity) at the same time. I have 6 quarts of Amsoil 75W-140 ready to go in.

Originally Posted By: 2015_PSD
I like to change out new engine oil and differentials and manual trannies early for the first time and auto trannies can go longer before a early oil change because of the filter.
Yep; same here. Engine oil at 1500 and the rear differential will be at 5K and I will install a Mag-Hytec cover (adding 3 quarts to the capacity) at the same time. I have 6 quarts of Amsoil 75W-140 ready to go in.

PSD, are you planning to do any upgrades to the cooling system and the transmission? I am sure Ford has more than made the cooling system bullet proof, but, like anything else, it can be improved. And, the transmission most likely has a huge cooler. Any upgrades in this dept., as in an inline filter, or a deeper pan?

From what I've seen of the Super Duty transmission and systems, there is probably nothing to be done to improve them. Giant coolers, sub-micron bypass filters, fluid that comes out cherry red after 100k miles of ferocious abuse.

They can also operate a PTO while in drive.

Originally Posted By: BlueOvalFitter
Originally Posted By: 2015_PSD
PSD, are you planning to do any upgrades to the cooling system and the transmission? I am sure Ford has more than made the cooling system bullet proof, but, like anything else, it can be improved. And, the transmission most likely has a huge cooler. Any upgrades in this dept., as in an inline filter, or a deeper pan?
I spent some time under it this past weekend and I have to say that if anything Ford over engineered every aspect of the truck. Everything is massive from the oil coolers to the amount of steel to the skid plates to the choices/sizes of hardware. The transmission (6R140W) is a beast and so are the differentials and transfer case. It is indeed "Super Duty".

Outside of the differentials, I may install a Mag-Hytec transmission pan although the OEM transmission pan does have a drain plug AND a dipstick (unlike my F150 which had neither). Other than these things to start, the only other item of note would be a bypass system, but I will wait a bit before deciding to install that.

Originally Posted By: ccap41
I'm with BlueOvalFitter.. Pics of the add-ons!

Here you go...

Side View of the new Leer 700:
A9ADNU.jpg

Front Mudflaps:
ZNVqe7.jpg

Rear Mudflaps and Wheel Well Liners:
DcSH7K.jpg

Rear View of the Leer:
tPLrhL.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back