Tabasco sauce

Status
Not open for further replies.
cool.gif
Yeah, Mo Hotta Mo Betta has good stuff. Also not really hot, but Isaac Hayes' Jerk Sauce is great. I go to Memphis a few times a year on business and always hit his store to buy some. Meantime the wife and I will order a case and have it shipped to our house. Pork chops marinated in this stuff and cooked on the George Foreman grill are great. His BBQ sauce is kinda hot for BBQ sauce.
Isaac Hayes

quote:

Originally posted by J:

When I was down in San Diego (aka the crazy
years), my local Thai Restaurant "Spices" had
a scale from 1 to 10....

This the one in Carmel Valley or the one in Rancho Bernardo?

I've been looking for a good Thai-food place-- and unrequested suggestions end up the best.

ferb!

The "Spices" I've been to is just north of Del Mar and maybe 2 miles from the coast. It's in a strip shopping center. They are growing their own Kaffir lime trees in big pots on the patio, so it's hard to miss.

There is also an excellent Thai place in downtown La Jolla. I forget the name, but they have a waterfall sculpture inside the place.

If you get up to Santa Barbara, there is a excellent Thai place on mainstreet ...just up from the beach ....

quote:

Originally posted by Ferb:

quote:

Originally posted by J:

When I was down in San Diego (aka the crazy
years), my local Thai Restaurant "Spices" had
a scale from 1 to 10....

This the one in Carmel Valley or the one in Rancho Bernardo?

I've been looking for a good Thai-food place-- and unrequested suggestions end up the best.

ferb!

It's the one in Rancho Bernardo right off of
highway 15. "Spices" is nice if you want heat.

Have you tried the Thai restaurants down in
Hillcrest?

cheers.gif

Jae

quote:

Originally posted by Pablo:
I've tried smoking my own peppers but they kinda burn the throat....
tongue.gif
.....OK OK....I have smoked peppers in my homemade smoker, but there's a small window of between too juicy and extra crispy.

Seriously I can't eat the same hot foods anymore (as when I was 20), don't get me wrong, I still down some hot stuff, enough to blow the average person away. My Chinese compatriots are amazed by this gringo fire eater.....my problem is the exit shoot....can you say; Ring of Fire? Flaming ****?

Combine that with hemorroids and........wow!
gr_eek2.gif

Not a sauce, but I'm a big fan of Texas Gunpowder, a ground jalapeno pepper. Not a lot of heat, but the flavor is wonderful.

quote:

Originally posted by TooSlick:

There is also an excellent Thai place in downtown La Jolla. I forget the name, but they have a waterfall sculpture inside the place.

Thats probably Royal Thai. Got recommended by a coworker here. I work at UC San Diego, so i'm about 2 minutes from downtown La Jolla. Have to take a trip over there.

I haven't actually had Thai in a looooong time. Hopefully my girlfriend doesn't mind going to Thai. We're still looking for a good Chinese place. Any hints for the Mission Valley area (Jae?) ? I'm willing to drive, but want quality.

ferb!

quote:

Originally posted by Ferb:

quote:

Originally posted by TooSlick:

Thats probably Royal Thai. Got recommended by a coworker here. I work at UC San Diego, so i'm about 2 minutes from downtown La Jolla. Have to take a trip over there.

I haven't actually had Thai in a looooong time. Hopefully my girlfriend doesn't mind going to Thai. We're still looking for a good Chinese place. Any hints for the Mission Valley area (Jae?) ? I'm willing to drive, but want quality.

ferb!

I highly recommend Royal Thai. I used to live
and work in UTC. So, I ate at Royal Thai a
lot.

I don't believe there is any good Chinese food
in San Diego. You have to go to LA for that.

cheers.gif

Jae

quote:

Originally posted by XS650:

quote:

Originally posted by Eiron:
Just bought a bottle of Tabasco's Habanero sauce. All I can say is, "
gr_eek2.gif
"

I tried some of that in a restaurant. it's one of the better McHennery's products. The Habanero flavor is strong enough to kill the pissy vinegar taste. But not good enough to buy for use at home.

OK, I'll keep the spirit of BITOG alive (syn vs. conv). I go through a bottle of Tabasco about every week. My 6 year old does help out a bit. I use it mostly on smoked pork, or BBQ if you will. Pork really isn't the other white meat, it is THE meat. Gotta go get some Q.

If you like GREAT hot salsa, got to try the Adobe Kitchen brand. Small business a lady has started outside of Alburqueie (sp???) New Mexico. Absolute greatness.

quote:

Originally posted by J:
And all this time, I thought you were a contender
tongue.gif

Sorry to disappoint you.
frown.gif
I used to eat hotter stuff when I was a young pup like you. But, eventually, I couldn't take the Blazing Saddle any longer.

I do like the vinegar base of many hot sauces, but I also drink Balsamic vinegar straight & eat it on several different fruits (avocados & strawberries, to name two). (Um, but I don't eat avocados & strawberries together. That's gross ... )

Just don't put vinegar in my dill pickle brine. My favorite dills right now are Bubbies. "Packed in Canada"!!

canada.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Last_Z:

quote:

Originally posted by Pablo:
I've tried smoking my own peppers but they kinda burn the throat....
tongue.gif
.....OK OK....I have smoked peppers in my homemade smoker, but there's a small window of between too juicy and extra crispy.

Seriously I can't eat the same hot foods anymore (as when I was 20), don't get me wrong, I still down some hot stuff, enough to blow the average person away. My Chinese compatriots are amazed by this gringo fire eater.....my problem is the exit shoot....can you say; Ring of Fire? Flaming ****?

Combine that with hemorroids and........wow!
gr_eek2.gif

Eat enough really hot stuff and you shouldn't have to worry about hemorrhoids, they sort of get cauterized.
smile.gif

Tabasco won't hurt you. I know because my dad is 85 & he injested a bottle a week for 50 years or more and he is still around to brag about it. He told mother it was grounds for a divorce if she let him run out. They are still married.

Les

I love balsamic on strawberries, good Italian stuff....

Yeah I gotta admit I used to be a sorta fat guy (no kidding)....well chubby folks are more prone to 'roids...and well, after eating habaneros I would sorta break into these nasty sweats and myanus (not uranus) would be REALLY burning...I mean painful, no joke. I would get sick....I had to go home from work one day.... Since I dropped over 45 pounds I have no burning down under.

But now I eat hot for the flavor, not the macho burn. I really love Indian, Pakistani and Sri Lankan food. I love Thai food too. But that's a food prep thing. Funny that these ancient cuisines are known to be spicy but the chili pepper came from the new world. I wonder if the Chinese brought them back with them
smile.gif

-

The igauna brand sauces from Costa Rica are pretty flash. (The one on the left of the picture is rated "thermonuclear" - thus being able to see to lizard's ribs- It's really a very tasty sauce, a little too hot, but very tasty).

Pablo,
I had a go at smoking some chillies and making a smoked chillie sauce.

The cookbook advised wearing gloves, like they all do, but I'd been "working" with chillies for a decade, and never had an issue.

So I smoked 2 lb of chillies, let them cool in a plastic bag, and started to remove the seeds and skins, making the sauce in the process.

As I was bottling them, my ingertips were pretty sensitive to the heat of the bottles. Didn't notice it too much.

As I was cleaning up, my hands were starting to burn slightly. After cleaning up, as they approached a semi dry state, they were very very painful.

I washed them in milk, oil, etc, and only succeeded in spreading the heat up to my elbows.

It was excruciating, I couldn't drive or do anything for about 8 hours (Holding a frosty beer did give minor relief).

Next day was OK, until I had a shower. that transition between wet skin and dry was quite painful.....lasted 4 days.

It was an experience.

Harissa.

Soak 50 grammes of dried "birdseye" chillies, and soak in just enough boiling water to cover them.

When they have rehydrated, drain them (keep the water), place in a blender, add 2 cloves of garlic, and 2 teasppons of rock or sea salt. A few tablespoons if mint, and a few tablespoons of coriander leaf. Blend, adding just enough of the soaking water to make a paste (usually most of it).

Place paste in a jar, and cap with 1/2" of olive oil.

Leave refrigerated for a week before using (sparingly)

Shannow - a girl told me a similar story awhile back....she made the mistake of touching her ching-ching.....

Once or twice the essential oils have migrated to my eyes. Not good.

I've seen the Iguana bottles....I'll give it a go.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back