The best full SAPS 0W30 with HTHS >3,5

Status
Not open for further replies.
I did a little research (using MB 229.5 approved oils list). There are only a few 0W30 oils, most of them rated API SL (because of SM/SN limits for 30 weight oils?). Which of them looks interesting for you?

1. Fuchs Titan Supersyn 0W30 - pour point -60 Celsius, 67,2 cSt @ 40, 12,1 cSt @ 100, 5100 cP @ -35. (I found datasheet only in Russian - http://www.fuchs-oil.ru/upload/iblock/c32/TITAN Supersyn Longlife 0w30 ru.pdf )

2. Aral Super Tronic G 0W30 - http://aral.lt/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/Aral-SuperTronic-G-0W-30_Jun20111.pdf

3. Castrol EDGE Professional A3 0W-30 - http://msdspds.castrol.com/bpglis/FusionPDS.nsf/Files/E2262756EF0C04BC80257C8900367FDC/$File/BPXE-9GMN6U.pdf

4. Total Quartz 9000 Energy 0W-30 http://catalog.lubricants.total.com/site...012014%20EN.pdf

5. Anything else?

Interesting list!

And interesting that the Titan 0w30 gets MB229.5 approval with HTHSv of 3.43 and NOACK of 10.2%.

Seeing that many feel a low pour point indicates use of POA base oils, which are considered superior especially for cold start properties once the oil is older, then the Castrol and Aral might be the best choice.

Originally Posted By: Benito
Interesting list!

And interesting that the Titan 0w30 gets MB229.5 approval with HTHSv of 3.43 and NOACK of 10.2%.

Seeing that many feel a low pour point indicates use of POA base oils, which are considered superior especially for cold start properties once the oil is older, then the Castrol and Aral might be the best choice.

Catsrol 0W30 all day, every day!

Based on the product data sheets, and from user comments made here on BITOG I'd go with the Total oil. The total cut down on cold start up noises for a couple of users here, even compared to Castrol 0w-30 and Mobil 1 0w-40.

The Aral and Castrol are not far under the Cold Cranking viscosity limit of 6200 mPa.s at -35°C, only the Fuchs is standing out here. Total doesn't mention the cold Cranking Viscosity, but it'll be less than 6200.

Both the Aral and Castrol are heavier than the Total and Fuchs at any temperature below 100°C. Lower viscosity below 100°C is good for fuel economy, especially in winter.

Fuchs has the highest Viscosity index, but also the highest Noack % and lowest HTHS viscosity, indicating the use of more Viscosity Improvers and thinner base oils. Good for fuel economy, not so good for protection when driving hard or for deposit control.

Unless you expect to be starting in temperatures below -35°C I'd go with Total, otherwise Fuchs. These will work out the cheapest to run

Between Castrol and Aral I'd choose the cheapest, and I wouldn't pick ay of the other if they are more than 10% more expensive unless I needed the cold cranking capability of the Fuchs.

Here's the Harman index for these oils, I had to calculate 2 (highest/Lowest density of the three other oils) for the Total as the density isn't communicated:

Aral: 0.9186 (estimated 3.5 HTHSv)

Castrol: 0.9186 (estimated 3.5 HTHSv) Is Aral owned by BP? I think it's the same oil comparing the specs...

Fuchs: 0.8814

Total: between 0.9043 and 0.8997 (estimated 3.5 HTHSv)

Just a thought...

Both Castrol & Aral are owned by BP. I would hazard a guess that these are essentially the same basic oil tech.

Likewise I might guess that the Total & Fuchs oils are based on Infineum's 6000 series tech (the slightly wobbly HTHS value is a dead give-away for Shellvis VII).

Originally Posted By: Jetronic

Aral: 0.9186 (estimated 3.5 HTHSv)

Castrol: 0.9186 (estimated 3.5 HTHSv) Is Aral owned by BP? I think it's the same oil comparing the specs...

Yes, Aral is owned by BP for a few years.

I'm looking for the best wear/deposits protection, not fuel economy, especially for older (pre TSI) VW gasoline engines. Which grade is better for this purpose - 0W40 or thick 0W30?

the lower KV which meets the HTHSv will be better for wear and deposits. so get the thinnest KV100 oil that has HTHSv over 3.5.

That could be a 5w-30 or 10w-30 aswell.

Originally Posted By: EWPE
What about this: http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3827896/PP_EURO_LX_0W30#Post3827896 oil? (in Europe Shell Helix Ultra ECT C2/C3 0W30). It's a low saps oil, but has a great VI and a lot of approvals (MB 229.52, VW 504.00/507.00 etc.) Is it a better choice instead of full SAPS oils for an engine that not requires low SAPS oils (naturally aspirated port injection VW engines built before TSI era)?

It's a good question and one that I've pondered myself. It's also an API SN rated oil with a phos' level of 720 ppm which is typical for an SN 30 grade but somewhat lower than what's usual for a full SAPS A3/B4 30 grade and heavier oil.

Of course here in NA most 20 and 30 grades are just API SN approved with reduced phos' levels in the 600-800 ppm range. One popular solution is to use a ZDDP supplement to boost the phos' level. Don't know if any are available in Poland but that's one approach if you have any doubts that the 720 ppm of phos is sufficient. It's what I've done for years adding a couple of ounces of Red Line Break-In Additive per oil change (that's all it takes) to boost the phos' to around 900 ppm.
That said there are undoubtedly millions of older cars on the roads here that have racked up lots of trouble free high mileages using SM/SN oils that are spec'd for higher phos' level oils.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back