PQIA tests seven more oils, 9/19

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow, the NOACK difference between PYB 10w-30 and QSGB 5w-30 is nuts!!!
crazy2.gif
4.4% vs 11.4!!

GTX isn't that stellar either at 11%. Really only PYB looks good from the bunch. Thanks for sharing Tom
thumbsup2.gif

Just a NOACK summation:
PYB 10w-30: 4.4%
QSGB 5w-30: 11.4%
GTX 10w-40: 11.0%
Havoline 10w-40: 13.1%
Safeway 5w-30: 12.7%
Peak 5w-30: 14.4%
Accel 5w-30 14.9%

The last two really pushing up on the 15% limit.

I'll stick with te good ole' QSGB; never had a issue in all my years using it. May make a PYB/QSUD brew in the near future

They even rechecked the PYB NOACK, and it was 4.2. I guess they thought the tester was broken!

Why is PYB NOACK so low? Is it the base oil, additives, or what?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: car51
I'll stick with te good ole' QSGB; never had a issue in all my years using it. May make a PYB/QSUD brew in the near future

Yep. No need for any worries.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
crazy2.gif
4.4% vs 11.4!!

GTX isn't that stellar either at 11%.

-snip-

They're dino, not synthetic. 11% is fine for a dino. There are full syns that have higher NOACKs!

I agree. This is very odd. The CCS was very similar to the Pennzoil Platinum 10w30. I really wonder if the Platinum was accidentally put in a PYB bottle. Just very strange how similar these numbers are to Platinum.

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
crazy2.gif
4.4% vs 11.4!!

GTX isn't that stellar either at 11%.

-snip-

They're dino, not synthetic. 11% is fine for a dino. There are full syns that have higher NOACKs!

"fine" yes, but PYB's is particularly low, and that's what stands out. Compare it to this 10w-30 they also tested:

http://www.pqiamerica.com/June 2014/tLifecycle10W-30.htm

With a NOACK of 12.3%.

Anything below 15% is "fine" but when looking at the numbers, one would generally inclined to lean toward the oils that are the furthest below that limit.

BigD1: my guess for PYB low nock is the GTL base stocks we are hearing and reading about
smile.gif
. Maybe OVERKILL knows more than my mechanic brain does; dunno

My theory is the flagship product is still, after many years, PYB.

So they have no qualms about dumping excess GTL stock into yellow bottles to get rid of it, as Synthetic oil still isn't a big seller compared to cheap dino.

And, if anyone "finds out" this is what is happening, well, Shell can just say, "We told you it is awesome oil, not dipstick marketing."

Also, I would guess that the "cheaper" add pack of PYB gets a boost from being blended with, bar none, the best oil basestock currently on the market.

Also, the ultra low Noack would help out with Pennzoil cleanliness claims, by just not burning off and adding to a dirty engine even if it isn't really cleaning much.

I ran PYB before my current fill and it was really quiet oil.

I have ONE jug left, I wonder if there will be another $9.99 Walmart Boxing Week sale on the PYB 5L jugs again!!

Last edited:
PYB 5w30 NOACK is 14.4 per PQIA test done. Just seems strange how this 10w30 conventional oil is 4.4. And the Platinum 10w30 is 4.6 and CCS is 4150. And thus conventional oil has a CCS of 4130. I may be wrong but just seems far too similar to Pennzoil Platinum 10w30. I am willing to bet there was a mix up and Platinum found its way into a PYB bottle.
I would like for these latest results to be true indeed. Because that is a fantastic result. And I am running a mix of Platinum and PYB in the lady's Camry right now.

I think the Moly in the PYB sample would flag it to be, in my mind, not a lab mix-up with a Platinum sample.

This folks is just great, inexpensive oil.

Have you seen any 10w30 Pennzoil Platinum VOAs ?? The 5w30 Platinum does not have that much molybdenum in it for sure. But that may well be different in their 10w30 offering.
Again, I really like Pennzoil in all of their offerings. I got 9 qts of PYB and Platinum recently. All for $34.

Ok agreed... I think BITOG should have a small Q&A forwarded to SOPUS over this as I'm going to speak for myself and say I'm SUPER intrigued by these results.

I'll state that I am a low Noack fan, so I'm going to read the posts!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back