BITOG Favorite Cigarettes Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: thunderfog

There are people in WV here that dip and smoke at the same time. It's kind of amazing.

Some of the consumers of tobacco in that region are quite unique.

I dated someone whose grandparents lived in WV. She wanted me to meet them, so we went down one weekend. The minute you hit the door, you could smell the smoke and see the nicotine displayed proudly on the walls. Grandfather rolled his and Grandmother smoked Salems, one right after the other, using their previous smoke to light their next. When she ran out of Salems, she started rolling her cigs.

I had quit smoking years prior to that but I probably took 6 months off my life being in the cross smoke that weekend.

Solid Snake only smokes The Boss anymore.
grin2.gif

Quote:
can't roll and loose tobacco is expensive and seems to be poor quality. v

Balishag with pure hemp papers.

I buy a bag once or twice a year.

If I could get my hands on some real indonesian cigarettes, I'd have lung cancer inside of a year. They are truly lung nectar.

Here's some really interesting information I did not know about, according to the folks in this video the cigs made back in the early 60s and before didn't contain the chemical cocktail that they do in the past 35 years or so.

Tobacco companies have had scientists like Jeffrey Wigand from The Insider movie (Russel Crowe) and 60 Minutes, Frontline fame, add ingredients.
I dunno what GHT and TLG are but if they are anything like coumarin or whatever, well Wigand said it best in the movie script:

"Jeffrey Wigand: The process is known as "impact boosting". While not spiking nicotine, they clearly manipulate it. There was extensive use of this technology known as "ammonia chemistry". It allows for the nicotine to be more rapidly absorbed in the lung and therefore affect the brain and central nervous system. The straw that broke the camel's back for me, and really put me in trouble with Sandefur, was a compound called coumarin. When I came on board at B. and W., they had tried the transition from coumarin to a similar flavor that would give the same taste, and had been unsuccessful. I wanted out immediately. I was told that it could affect sales, so I should mind my own business. I constructed a memo to Mr. Sandefur indicating I could not in conscience continue with coumarin, a product we now know and we had documentation was similar to coumarin, a lung-specific carcinogen."

I do switch brands occasionally. Sometimes, I'll go to a menthol in the summertime, then back to non-menthol in the winter months.
For menthol, I like Salem lights or Ultra lights, and for non-menthol, Winston lights or ultra lights.

I only smoke 1 or 2 a day, and I figure I wasn't gonna need those 10 minutes at the end of my life anyway.
smile.gif

I like drum tobacco. Hand rolled. No filter.

Funny thing. When I smoke filtered cigs I end up wheezing and coughing a ton. When I smoke drum no weezing,coughing etc.
Drum is a fine cut,sweet tobacco with a nice flavour. Almost like a pipe tobacco. I'm to the point now I don't buy tailor mades anymore.

Clevy,
before the world went all crazy against the smoker, there was an article in New scientist that said that rollies were probably all round safer.

The filtered ciggies require a harder pull, which opens up the alvaeoli allowing particles of smoke to get in deeper. The filter makes the particles smaller, and penetrate deeper. The rollies have larger particles that don't get in as deep.

I read a lot of articles in the '90s about the radioactive particles that were deposited on tobacco when nuclear testing startd, and found the evidence quite compelling.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21956761

I started smoking in about 1960 onoy a couple packs a year. For 20 years I still only smoked maybe 4 or 5 packs a year. Some years I didn't smoke at all. Ned ver got hooked.

I think my favourite back then was Camel (unfiltered of course). Definitely better than Lucky Strike or Chesterfield. Eventually switched to Salem.

I stopped in 1980 due to skipped heart beats. Have not had a cigarette or Cigar since.

I won't bust on anyone who smokes.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Shannow
Clevy,
before the world went all crazy against the smoker, there was an article in New scientist that said that rollies were probably all round safer.

The filtered ciggies require a harder pull, which opens up the alvaeoli allowing particles of smoke to get in deeper. The filter makes the particles smaller, and penetrate deeper. The rollies have larger particles that don't get in as deep.

I read a lot of articles in the '90s about the radioactive particles that were deposited on tobacco when nuclear testing startd, and found the evidence quite compelling.

That makes sense. I never thought of it like that.

Thanks for the tidbit.

Originally Posted By: Shannow
Clevy,

Terribly interesting indeed, thank you!

Correct me if I am wrong, but don't most filtered cigarette smokers not actually inhale much smoke, but instead do some thing where they suck the smoke out of the cigarette into their mouths, then remove cigarette from mouth, then inhale a mixture of ambient air and smoke? Thus truly not sucking the smoke hard through the filter and directly to the lungs.

Compared to filterless cigarettes where one does indeed just wrap one's mouth around the tip of the cigarette and breathe in, with little to no difficulty. No "in between" breath needed, as filtered smokers seem to do.

I used to smoke untipped Gauloises, but not any more. I gave up smoking over 30 years ago and now I can't stand the smell.

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
I remember cigarette vending machines in the 1980's.

I saw one in SC no less than five years ago in a hotel lobby. They used to be in every diner and bar even in the 90s.

I've been a very casual on and off smoker since 18... maybe I smoke a pack a year. Sometimes I just crave a cigarette. Never been addicted though.

Traditionally I've smoked some kind of Camel or Marlboro. I'm not picky. Menthols are another weakness...the new Camel Crushes are really good. Lately my occasional smoke of choice has been the tiny Acid cigars that last for maybe 10 minutes. I hate smoking cigars for hours on end.

Wintertime I sometimes enjoy smoking my pipe stocked with a local tobacco.

Last edited:
I grew up at a time when tobacco was still advertised everywhere and I remember them extolling the "flavor" of the product: (Winston tastes good like a cigarette should...Come to where the flavor is>>>Marlboro Country...and so on.) I tried twice to smoke a cigarette and ...MY GOD!!!...I couldn't figure out what there was to taste that anybody would want. I nearly hacked my lungs out and to this day not only do I not smoke, I am deathly afraid of being anywhere near a smoker. I had my own bout with bladder cancer and my doctor said I probably got it from exposure to second-hand smoke. That is an experience I wouldn't wish on anyone.

Originally Posted By: GrtArtiste
I grew up at a time when tobacco was still advertised everywhere and I remember them extolling the "flavor" of the product: (Winston tastes good like a cigarette should...Come to where the flavor is>>>Marlboro Country...and so on.) I tried twice to smoke a cigarette and ...MY GOD!!!...I couldn't figure out what there was to taste that anybody would want. I nearly hacked my lungs out and to this day not only do I not smoke, I am deathly afraid of being anywhere near a smoker. I had my own bout with bladder cancer and my doctor said I probably got it from exposure to second-hand smoke. That is an experience I wouldn't wish on anyone.

I'm not a doctor and not "up" on all the legit causes of cancer. But...from the unbiased reading I've done, I would highly doubt you got bladder cancer from second hand smoke. But....what do I know?!

I love an occasional pipe of tobacco. It's enjoyable. I used to smoke a tobacco pipe several times a week and smoked mostly mild aromatics. I even love the smell of a room where somebody is smoking a pipe.

I've never gotten addicted to the pipe. I don't ever take the smoke down into my lungs either. And I can't take the high nicotine content of anything other than mostly very mild blends.

I can understand pipe tobacco and most cigars. [censored] I've enjoyed a cigar or two but the chemical sticks cigarettes are now is just stupefying to understand why you would still smoke them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back