When do you change your air filter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Rat407
Anyone install one of these?

threaded_mount.png

Yup

http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1392158-air-filter-restriction-gauge-installation.html

Originally Posted By: laserred96gt
I visually inspect them, if they look dirty I change them.

I have yet to find anyone who can tell by looking at a air filter if its time to change it. I have a little over two millionmiles in a truck and always went by the restriction gauge. Do that for my cars too.

ROD

That's a very clean engine, I'm guessing its new? I think you will be surprised at how long it takes to start moving. I think I'll get close to 90k miles on my stock air filter in my S2000(have 80k miles now). In my Jeep I don't know, we do go off road a lot and we have 34k miles on it and I still don't register any restriction on the intake.

Please keep us informed,
ROD

I go more by sight instead of mileage. I noticed a lot has do with the location and environment of where the car is. For example, I live in an urban area near downtown Miami and park on the street. There's a lot of traffic on this street and construction happening a lot of the time too. There is always dust and dirt in the air (every time a car drives by it naturally stirs up dirt and stuff). To do it by mileage, I would say I have to change it about every 8-10k.

I change the air filter when I first buy the car, and then leave it on as long as I have it, which is usually 30-40k or so.

I do it when the whole thing is nasty and has a gunky black buildup. So, about 20K miles. By that point many of the pleats are filled in. The next year they about doubled surface area.

My old Toyota could go about 50k.

I change them when they need changed, I inspect them every oil change. Sometimes it's pretty much clogged at 10,000 miles, sometimes it takes 30,000. My air filters really clog up during the dry time in summer.

Originally Posted By: Branson304
I change them when they need changed, I inspect them every oil change. Sometimes it's pretty much clogged at 10,000 miles, sometimes it takes 30,000. My air filters really clog up during the dry time in summer.

Not being a smart [removed] but how do you measure how clogged up they are?

ROD

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted By: rrounds
Originally Posted By: Branson304

Not being a smart [removed] but how do you measure how clogged up they are?

ROD

Just visual inspection. You can tell when they're really bad and when they're not. Wish I had some photos. Maybe I shouldn't have said "clog", maybe just that they get really dirty. However I have seen some so dirty on other peoples' vehicles that I'm pretty sure they were clogged. Lol

I wonder at what age you should start to worry about the rubber seal around the edge of the filter allowing particles to get by.
Most filter boxes clamp down on them pretty good, but I have noticed a pretty big difference between an old and new one.

I know someone with a 2008 Ram V6 that's still running the original with over 150k miles now. He's taken it out a few times and cleaned it with a shop vac, but I could never talk him into getting a new one.

In the case of my Focus I changed it as soon as I found that the PO had installed at K&N. I can't imagine changing it again any sooner than 20k - 30k miles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back