Anybody have Dodge Ram 3500 w/6.4L Hemi gas engine

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm in the market for a new HD truck, and I'm curious about this one. What's good or bad about this engine?

My last 4 trucks have been Dodge 3500 Cummins diesels, and I currently have an 04 and 07. I'm keeping both of these Cummins trucks for heavy towing, probably will them to my hiers.

I won't touch any of the new regen diesels.

The guys on the RV board love them. I test drove one and it was a nice truck. What are your plans with it?

Originally Posted By: mobilaltima
you always have the option to delete the EGR and DPF on the new diesels. No worries.
not only is removal of emission equipment illegal in all 50 states you cant pass an emission test with out them.

Originally Posted By: Chris142
you always have the option to delete the EGR and DPF on the new diesels. No worries.
not only is removal of emission equipment illegal in all 50 states you cant pass an emission test with out them.

Only from a person in California would you hear that. Florida as well as most states have no emission tests.

I hear the gas mileage on the 6.4 Hemi is truly pathetic. Like 6 MPG when towing and 10 MPG around town and 12 on trips. I believe it because I have the 5.7 2500 and its about as bad. Lots of power, just really thirsty.

Originally Posted By: Panzerman

Only from a person in California would you hear that. Florida as well as most states have no emission tests.

I hear the gas mileage on the 6.4 Hemi is truly pathetic. Like 6 MPG when towing and 10 MPG around town and 12 on trips. I believe it because I have the 5.7 2500 and its about as bad. Lots of power, just really thirsty.

Emission testing is required in many states and many areas.
I heard the gas mileage cruising is pretty good with its cylinder deactivation.

The engine is very solid. Has decent power, but expect to stick your foot in in pretty good to move it around. Highway driving is not bad.

Expect it to be a bit of a culture shock going from an engine that has torque all over the map, to an engine that gives you less torque, and a much higher peak.

We deleted my dad's '07.5 Ram with the 6.7 CTD. He passed Washington emissions without issue.

Nonsense.

I've personally seen dpf and egr deleted tow trucks pass emmisoons testing at a local shop.
So you obviously have absolutely no experience in the area so I suggest possibly education as in seeing for yourself,or saving your comments for subjects where you've got a clue.

What Chris142 says is true in California.

Here in Texas, if you delete you will need a tune to pass emissions as they plug into the OBD port.

Well many of us can give thanks we do NOT live in California!

Despite the legal issues it is ridiculous to buy a new vehicle and start ripping off equipment that could be used against you in a warranty claim. Get a few years of experience with the vehicle and then make that decision for yourself.

As for the 6.4, that engine has variable cam timing tuned for trucks. Expect mountains of torque, it has tons of power everywhere in the rev range. They have been very tough in the cars, I see no reason to diss them in the trucks...

Not only is it illegal it is a royal PITA to get the later model vehicles to run properly after the modification, and w/o a CEL. Good luck with warranty claims if there's a problem with the engine related to the emissions system. Some people have done it with success, imo its a [censored] shoot. The jury is still out on doing it to a 2016.

Last edited:
Tampering with emissions equipment IS illegal in all 50 states, even if your state doesn't have emissions testing. Whether or not your area actually enforces that law is another issue entirely.

Originally Posted By: hattaresguy
The 6.4 has over 400hp I can't imagine that ever falling short on a light duty truck.

6.4L Hemi - 410 hp @ 5600, 429 lb-ft @ 4000
6.7L Cummins - 385 hp @ 2800, 900 lb-ft @ 1700

When someone has grown accustomed to the power output of a modern pickup diesel, it's not a difficult stretch to see how they'd perceive the gas engine as falling short...

Originally Posted By: exranger06
Tampering with emissions equipment IS illegal in all 50 states, even if your state doesn't have emissions testing. Whether or not your area actually enforces that law is another issue entirely.

This is correct. It is illegal under the Clean Air Act anti tampering rules to remove emission equipment:
(1) Section 203(a)(3) (42 U.S.C. 7522(a)(3)) is amended to read as follows:

'(3)(A) for any person to remove or render inoperative any device or element of design installed on or in a motor vehicle or motor vehicle engine in compliance with regulations under this title prior to its sale and delivery to the ultimate purchaser, or for any person knowingly to remove or render inoperative any such device or element of design after such sale and delivery to the ultimate purchaser; or

'(B) for any person to manufacture or sell, or offer to sell, or install, any part or component intended for use with, or as part of, any motor vehicle or motor vehicle engine, where a principal effect of the part or component is to bypass, defeat, or render inoperative any device or element of design installed on or in a motor vehicle or motor vehicle engine in compliance with regulations under this title, and where the person knows or should know that such part or component is being offered for sale or installed for such use or put to such use; or '

From here: http://www3.epa.gov/otaq/about/faq.htm#question13

Once someone has grown accustomed to the smoothness and quietness of a modern gas engine in a pickup it is difficult to imagine anyone who doesn't tow every day wanting a diesel!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back