2003 Accord EX...front end feels "floaty"

Status
Not open for further replies.
About a month ago I got new rubber for the Accord. Conti Eco Plus I think is the name. V rated tire.

Replaces Michelin Primacys

Besides the tires never balancing correctly the front end feels floaty and not very stable at highway speeds...like I am going to lose it if I ever needed to take quick evasive action.

Besides the tires maybe being squirmier than the Michelin's....

What else could it be as far as the fron end feeling loose and floaty now? It used to hug the road fine and I'd feel completely confident diving into corners. Almost 170K on it

Replace the front compliance bushings - just had to do this on the gf's 07. Check to see if they have significant tears.

9circle makes a great tool that allows you to r/r the bushings with the arm still mounted in the car. The tool is about $80 and the bushings run about $45 from the dealer.

Well, have you looked under the front of the car to even see if anything is dangling down or holding on for dear life?

Do you have water grooves cut into your highway concrete there?
So Cal is infamous for having these grooves that some tires track so well you'll feel your car steer itself.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tramlining

The major chains around here don't sell ones that tramline, but if you special-order (like I did), Eyyy!

If it feels different after the new tires, it's because of the new tires.

New tires can have some tread squirm that you can feel compared to your old tires.

It felt a lttle squirmy prior to the new tires but I attributed it to the tred on other tires wearing low.

I don't see anything hanging...was asking to see if it could be u joints. tire rods, cv joints etc that could be causing it

Originally Posted By: Blue_Goose
Do you have a link to this tool? I couldn't find a user named 9circle.

I don't think he means a member here. Try searching the internet for them.

There's a way to adjust the steering rack feel. Google "Accord steering rack adjustment". I adjust it for my 2000 Accord. The procedure says you need a special tool to hold the adjusting nut but I was able to use adjustable wrench to hold the lock nut while adjusting the nut using a 3/8" torque wrench.

Originally Posted By: mister_two
There's a way to adjust the steering rack feel. Google "Accord steering rack adjustment". I adjust it for my 2000 Accord. The procedure says you need a special tool to hold the adjusting nut but I was able to use adjustable wrench to hold the lock nut while adjusting the nut using a 3/8" torque wrench.

I've adjusted mine too, it made a noticeable difference in steering feel (as well as eliminating a slight knocking noise). You are correct that on some models you can turn the lock nut with an adjustable wrench, but on some it is up too close to the crossmember to allow access. The tool is available from any online dealer and wasn't that expensive.

Thanks guys....

Driving home last weekend exiting the MA Pike I took a left hand turn pretty sharp (merging on to 290)

At one point the steering wheel or suspension felt like it slipped...like I hit a patch of ice or something...could it be the steering rack is taking a dirt nap on me??

2003 accord ex? how many miles on it? Suspension been inspected for bushing wear, struts worn?

Need to answer these questions first before coming into conclusion on the tires part.

Q.

Get it to a shop and have them look at the CV Axle joint as I had the exact same thing happen on my Ford Taurus and it turn out the left axle joint was damaged. Once it was fixed the car drove great.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back