Another freebie lawnmower! Hahah

Status
Not open for further replies.
This was on the side of the road next to the garbage cans, had been rained on all night.

It's a 2013 poulan pro 22" with a 158cc Briggs, the cheap engine where the bowl IS the gas tank.

IMAG0504.jpg

IMAG0503.jpg

Had a bunch of spooge/oil that looked like it had dropped out of the exhaust onto the deck beneath.

Checked the oil, middle of the dipstick was dark brownish but still a little clear.

Looked in the gas tank, looked clean , with a couple drops of water at the bottom.

Hit the primer, felt good.

Pulled the cord and it was extremely stiff.

Removed the spark plug, covered in oil, cleaned it with cars cleaner

Pulled the cord with the plug out. A few times and sure enough a table spoon or so of oil puked out the plug hole.

Put the plug back in and puked a few more times....

Engine sputters to life with a BIG cloud of blue smoke. It is running very low/slow and rough

I'm thinking did this guy run it without oil and coked up the rings?

It was still running horrible so I took off the air filter, it was Heavy and wet with water/fuel or a combo of the 2.

Engine screamed to life afterwards ran it for a few minutes and then it was smoke free. Running great.

Blade looks new.

I'm thinking the guy either stored it on its side filling the cylinder with oil or let it sit outside in the rain clogging the air filter and then when it ran like [censored] he tipped it and filled the cylinder with oil...

Not sure it the old air filter is still good can I air it out a few days and then use it. It is very clean, just wet

Just for kick I put a little seafoam in the oil and ran it a bit.

Turned it dark quick!
IMAG0505.jpg

Refilled with my jug of random leftover oil mostly 10w30 or 10w40

Could probably sell this for almost 100

Hahaha made my day!

Last edited:
Good on ya! Saved it from rusting away in a landfill probably. This is my kind of recycling project, congrats again.

IMAG0507.jpg

So since the oil had gotten in the exhaust I thought maybe it was on the air filter as well.

rinsing it off in some gas then will let it air out good and see if it runs with the air filter back on

Gas got really dark right away...? Maybe there was a oil on it.

Last edited:
I stored my briggs mower for winter once upright, eg, on its front wheels with the spark plug pointed to china.

I had the mess you speak of, next spring. Didn't want to turn over, pulled plug, spat out oil. Topped it off, held plug over a flame to cook it clean, and it ran, puffing blue smoke like cheech & chong.
wink.gif

Children in Africa could have eaten that mower and he decided to throw it away. Anyway great score. Deck looks good.

Originally Posted By: Ethan1
I never see people throw away lawnmowers
21.gif

I hear that.. Or at least anything remotely salvageable.

By the way, don't try to "wash" that air filter. Just put on a new one. Although It May, I repeat, May work, if you wash it often enough in gas till it no longer turns the gas oily, and let it dry in the sun a couple days, It still will never be quite right.
And believe me I am frugal (tight) enough to have tried it.

Last edited:
It had a paper element air cleaner?

I also have a freebie poulon like that except the deck is black. Put a carb kit and new foam air filter on it and it ran like a top.

I also thought it would have a foam filter, but the picture shows a paper one. Guess it is a really new mower.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Brybo86

Blade looks new.

I'm thinking the guy either stored it on its side filling the cylinder with oil or let it sit outside in the rain clogging the air filter and then when it ran like [censored] he tipped it and filled the cylinder with oil...
!

Probably changed blade and it went downhill from there... Only takes 30-40 seconds or so with mower on side to load the carb with oil(and douse filter), then is sucked into cylinder at next crank...

Originally Posted By: JTK
Originally Posted By: Ethan1
I never see people throw away lawnmowers
21.gif

I hear that.. Or at least anything remotely salvageable.

I suppose it's different in other areas... When I was working(made service calls), I saw stuff almost every day... All one has to do is start riding around from about 3-7PM day before trash pickup, you'll have lotsa stuff in a couple hours... I rarely went "picking" but pulled three Hi-Vac Snappers off curb not even looking for anything... I left the others, no interest in off brands... In the last five years I've averaged someone giving me at least a mower per year, don't have to go looking...

"That's the lazy, throw-away society we live in these days..."

Yes. In the past 5 years I've 'rescued' 17 vacuum cleaners from dumpsters, etc ... All were clogged ... 2 needed new belts.

Congrats on the mower rescue.
thumbsup2.gif

I'll bet the dude was mowing and had to run inside to do a # 1 and when he returned, his mower was gone.

No i saw it there at like 10am and came back an hour later and it was still there so I took it.

But it was new enough that I did wonder why it was in the trash in the first place

The reason I mentioned it, I knew someone long ago,who just tilled his garden, took a lunch break to return to a tiller without an engine.The thief ran off with the warm engine.

Originally Posted By: Lubener
I'll bet the dude was mowing and had to run inside to do a # 1 and when he returned, his mower was gone.

That is why you just do it by the mower.

Cool mower OP. The oil in the pictures makes it look like black pudding. Lol.

I never see mowers around either, but I am sure they are there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back