My Yellow Fogs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
Two questions:

Fog light is not standard equipment for your Accord, you added aftermarket fog light ?

The color of the front bumper is a little odd, the center has different color then the outsides ?

Correct. On the 2008-2012 Accord 4cyl sedans, fog lights are not standard equipment, however, on the EX and up sedans, there is ready to go, plug and play wiring behind the bumper cover. On every 4cyl sedan, you have to remove the bumper, cut out and mount the fog lights, housings and trim pieces. Being that I had an LX, I had to make a custom wiring harness as well and wire it up. Has worked well for over a year and did fine with the winter so I must've done a good job.

The bumper color is lighting playing tricks, its all the same color. That and the car can badly use a wash.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
http://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech/lights/fog_lamps/fog_lamps.html

There's been some debate on some other lighting forum about this article, some quote a study about actual measured reflectivity of yellow versus white light in fog, as if that were the end of the matter... but that study uses instrumentation and not the human eye with a brain behind it. I dug up another study showing human reactions to different color lights, now we're talking driver's reality, and that just complicates matters.

The fact is, different people react differently to different colors of light, and some (like me) find yellow light more pleasing and produces less objectionable glare. Many LED and very high color temp lighting, for me, produces lots of powdery white glare and little actual useful illumination. A lot of commercial lighting pretends to be Sun-like in its color content, but is not. Adding properly aligned yellow lighting works for me. It may not work for you.

Originally Posted By: HangFire
The fact is, different people react differently to different colors of light, and some (like me) find yellow light more pleasing and produces less objectionable glare. Many LED and very high color temp lighting, for me, produces lots of powdery white glare and little actual useful illumination. A lot of commercial lighting pretends to be Sun-like in its color content, but is not. Adding properly aligned yellow lighting works for me. It may not work for you.

You are like the majority of us. MOST people find it much more difficult to process blue hues. The eye is just naturally not as adept to it. They say this is evolutionary -- we were trained to be able to spot slight color differences in the red spectrum better, which enabled us as hunters/gatherers early on (reds/browns on animals and reds/greens on berries/plants). You'll very rarely see blue lamps on instrument cluster lighting. When you do, it's usually more difficult to process than reds or greens.

I don't care at all for HID lighting. I've driven countless vehicles with it and the color temperature and color rendering index fatigues my eyes. HID has a very low color rendering index, which makes it more difficult to spot differences in the color spectrum within the beam...everything looks more monotone. Some obviously have more difficulty with this than others.

Regarding oncoming traffic, factory HIDs do not generally bother me, but I can spot in an instant when someone's got a non-factory setup, and the disability glare is pretty bad to me. I have to look away, focus on the white stripe on my side of the road, and then it takes a few seconds after they pass for my eyes to re-adjust. But that's okay, because "they can see better".

Blue LEDS are cheap to make in relation to output and now appear in cheap electronics back lights. I can't stand the things. "Better quality" electronic test gear and communications gear use different shades of yellow backlight and are more readable. Some gear uses multi color LED arrays and provides a menu choice of colors. Most users end up with yellow.
There is an interesting debate on as to why submarines used red lighting prior to surfacing at night. Red, apparently, isn't the best choice.
BMW used to use red instrument lighting but thought better of it.
I've found yellow fogs provide better contrast in snow than white
which seems to return more dazzle.

....some (like me) find yellow light more pleasing and produces less objectionable glare. Many LED and very high color temp lighting, for me, produces lots of powdery white glare and little actual useful illumination. A lot of commercial lighting pretends to be Sun-like in its color content, but is not. Adding properly aligned yellow lighting works for me. It may not work for you.

My experience mirrors this. As I've gotten older, and as the local road authorities install more extremely reflective road signs, I seem to be more sensitive to the effects of bright white lights. The bright reflection from the signs seems to overwhelm most of what is behind them in my field of view. As a result of this, I've gone to deep yellow/amber bulbs in most of my driving, off-road and fog lamps. From the scientific fact that I think I squint less...I may be seeing better in these limited circumstances w/ the amber light.

Originally Posted By: wings&wheels
....some (like me) find yellow light more pleasing and produces less objectionable glare. Many LED and very high color temp lighting, for me, produces lots of powdery white glare and little actual useful illumination. A lot of commercial lighting pretends to be Sun-like in its color content, but is not. Adding properly aligned yellow lighting works for me. It may not work for you.

My experience mirrors this. As I've gotten older, and as the local road authorities install more extremely reflective road signs, I seem to be more sensitive to the effects of bright white lights. The bright reflection from the signs seems to overwhelm most of what is behind them in my field of view. I've gone to deep yellow/amber bulbs in most of my driving, off-road and fog lamps.
A couple of 100 watt bulbs in the four - 5.75 inch headlamp system high beams BMW used to favor and the reflected light HURTS!.

Yellow fog lights are where it's at! I grew very fond of them in snow and ice fog in Alaska. Now, that is all I use. My semi truck has yellow fog lights from the factory, and my 2015 Chevy 2500 is about to get yellow film put on the fog lights this weekend. Couldn't locate a decent yellow bulb or lens for them, so film is going on. Yellow cuts thru the mess a lot better, at least to see the lines on the highway better. And as was stated, the glare for oncoming folks isn't near as bad.

I've got the same H11 Hella Optilux Extreme Yellow bulbs in my Outback fog lights. Then, to protect the fog light lenses, I also had yellow film put over the lenses.

I love the results. I've read most of Dan Stein's publications on lighting, including the one quoted above re. fog lights. And while I understand what he is saying, the yellow lighting really works for me. In rainy or snowy night driving conditions, the yellow lighting allows me to see much more detail on the road surface.

Your experience may vary, but they really work for me.

Originally Posted By: HerrStig

There is an interesting debate on as to why submarines used red lighting prior to surfacing at night. Red, apparently, isn't the best choice.

In the electronic systems we developed for outdoor use (artillery and mortar fire control) we began going to green on the control/display units, moving away from yellow/orange electroluminescent and also away from red LED's. Two reasons. Green was found to be better at maintaining night vision and was harder to see from far away reducing risk from bad guys. I wonder if maybe that's the same conversation they may be having in the sub discussion you mention. Would seem to make sense based on past history.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back