10w30 certified oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Garak
Well, I can't think of any engine with clearances too tight for a 10w-30. It might have pumping issues at the coldest temperatures imaginable (i.e. that's one major reason I avoid it). But, 0w-20 at -10 is going to be a lot thicker than 10w-30 at operating temperatures, and I don't see that causing engines to seize because of clearances issues.
wink.gif

Hmm. Good point.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
Originally Posted By: chainblu
Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
This whole thread is screaming: Thin oil people, STAY OUT!
grin2.gif

LMAO
As far as I'm concerned, 10w30 IS thin oil !

Haha 10W40 is my "thin" oil
laugh.gif

Just got me some 15W40 today.......they were practically giving it away.

Originally Posted By: bbhero
Hmmm... I guess in comparison to 10w60 or 5w50
smile.gif
It is in the middle of the road compared to 0w16 all the way too 10w60.

Lol middle of the road sounds good.
I saw that they themselves consider it still resource conserving. They, being the ones bottling and selling it.

10W30 ILSAC type oils still are Energy Conserving, although they have a much lower economy target than the 0W, 5W 30s and obviously the 20s.

The economy is measured against a 15W30 reference, so the gains in the warmup temperature ranges aren't that much.

Originally Posted By: Shannow
10W30 ILSAC type oils still are Energy Conserving, although they have a much lower economy target than the 0W, 5W 30s and obviously the 20s.

The economy is measured against a 15W30 reference, so the gains in the warmup temperature ranges aren't that much.

So do you agree that in my climate, where iT seldom gets to freezing, that I don't really need to worry about warm up with 10w30?

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Welcome to the smooth world of 10W-30.
grin2.gif

This morning I tried to recruit some guy at WM to the 10W-30 club. He was a tough nut to crack and held onto his 10W-40 for an 8 yo Camry. Said it had too many miles(160k) for that thin oil. I guess he was running M1 10W-40 HM but WM was out so he was looking for any other syn 10W-40.

Last edited:
Nothing like a 10W-30 lovefest. Just thinking about it, right now I have Mag1 syn, Chevron, Castrol, Mobil1 syn, Peak, Ace Hardware, all in this weight.

Im running 10w30 SN PU in my truck right now. It seems to like the 10w30.

MPG is identical to the 5w30 I was using before, despite the 5w30 having a HTHS of 3.1 and the PU 10w30 having a HTHS of 3.3

I think the LS engine likes the higher HTHS. It seems to run a little quieter up the rev range. Probably my imagination lol.

I do like 10w30 for a Summer grade. I like the fact the NOACK is so low on 10w30 syns.

Originally Posted By: shiny
FWIW, the "Certified 10W30 Motor Oil - 1 Quart Bottles - 12 pack" at Sam's Club is API SM,SL.
Are you sure or are you just looking at Sams's site? I walked by yesterday and could have swore it said SN on the box. I wasn't paying a whole lot of attention since I wasn't planning on buying any.

They did have the six qt cases of M1 for $26ish.

I have seen Certified SN oil as well, they make it in other flavors but the distribution is a lot more hit and mmiss with 5w20, 5w30, and 10w40.

Originally Posted By: Mrsandman
So I researched the certifed motor oil brand at Sam's club. I found that the 5w20 is made by Warren petroleum and the 10w30 and 5w30s are sopus. I compared the pqia voa of the 5w30 to the other soups brands and concluded that I believe certified 30 weight oils are probably resbottled formula shell. I also confirmed by the barcode # on the quart bottles i bought, that it is a sopus product. The case of 12 quarts just cost $24.
Anyway my initial intent with this post was that they only had 10w30 in stock so I bought it and am using it in my 08 Ford 2.3 motor and I think I'm loving it. My car specs 5w20. But the 10w30 makes it just purr like s kitten and run smooth. I never believed that a different grade of oil would ever make a noticeable difference but the 10w30 has proved different. I wasn't even expecting or even monitoring for any kinda difference. It's just so obvious I can't help but notice. So now I'm sold on 10w30. Almost never gets near freezing where I live so I can use it year round.
grin.gif

It never gets near freezing where you live so you can use a 10w30 year round?

Originally Posted By: hatt
Originally Posted By: shiny
FWIW, the "Certified 10W30 Motor Oil - 1 Quart Bottles - 12 pack" at Sam's Club is API SM,SL.
Are you sure or are you just looking at Sams's site? I walked by yesterday and could have swore it said SN on the box. I wasn't paying a whole lot of attention since I wasn't planning on buying any.

They did have the six qt cases of M1 for $26ish.

Good point. I was just going by the picture on the website. Maybe it's different on the shelf.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back