I hate getting nickel and dimed at the dealership

Status
Not open for further replies.
So about 5000 miles ago (at about 93,000 miles), I had a cracked head on my civic. That was covered by Honda because they had a cracked head problem with that series. The advisor also said that my radiator had a cracked in it so that was replaced, not under warranty.

So let’s jump ahead to 2 weeks ago. Overheating problem is diagnosed as a blown head gasket, covered under the cracked head by Honda. The advisor also said the radiator cap needed replacing (Originally he said that was the problem before they did more detailed testing and found the blown gasket).

You’re buying a new radiator so why doesn’t a new cap come with it? You would assume it would, but it doesn’t. I had assumed that common sense, a cap with be with it, or the dealer, seeing that I had 93,000 on it, would had replaced it with the radiator due to the mileage.

I purchased a radiator from Honda and it came with a cap. I purchased the radiator less than 3 months ago.

I guess the dealers get drilled by the manufacturer who didn't pay for the rad cap, so they pass it along to you!
I bought 3L of syn trans fluid for the CRV at our Honda dealer and the parts guy stuck a crush washer in the bag, which I thought he tossed in for free given the price of the fluid, but when I looked at the bill at home, it was $3.49... That's how they make their money I guess.

Originally Posted By: IndyIan
I guess the dealers get drilled by the manufacturer who didn't pay for the rad cap, so they pass it along to you!
I bought 3L of syn trans fluid for the CRV at our Honda dealer and the parts guy stuck a crush washer in the bag, which I thought he tossed in for free given the price of the fluid, but when I looked at the bill at home, it was $3.49... That's how they make their money I guess.

$3.49 for a washer is about 5400% markup considering I get them for 60 cents from Bernardi Honda.

I am not a math major so flame me at will.

Originally Posted By: Chris Meutsch
$3.49 for a washer is about 5400% markup considering I get them for 60 cents from Bernardi Honda.

I am not a math major so flame me at will.

60 pennies for a washer is too much. I bought a box of 20 various sizes aluminum washer from ACE hardware for 99 pennies. It fitted perfect without any leak.

Any washer that costs more than a dime is too much.

I just took a look at the parts diagram for a 2008 Civic and it shows the rad cap being included with the "water filler assembly" and not the actual Toyo or Denso rad. They probably swapped over the old assembly onto the new rad.

http://imgur.com/7sQTJtJ

Last edited:
Why should a new radiator come with a new cap?

Why not new hoses also? Maybe a few gallons of coolant? Maybe a new water pump? How about a new fan and shroud? I mean, this stuff is all connected together, right? It should all be included!

While the one I just replaced on my daughter's 2003 Corolla came with a replacement cap.

I guess it depends.

Originally Posted By: exranger06
I've bought about 4 or 5 aftermarket radiators and none of them came with a new cap.

IMO, you're lucky the dealership didn't blame the bad radiator for the failed cylinder head. They could have gone that route very easily.

Originally Posted By: powayroger
So about 5000 miles ago (at about 93,000 miles), I had a cracked head on my civic. That was covered by Honda because they had a cracked head problem with that series.

I never heard of a cracked head problem. The known problem with the early R18 engines were with the engine block so did your block crack which resulted in damage to the cylinder head?

I had 45K on my 2009 Civic EX. I traded it for the Subaru in early 2012 because I started smelling coolant with no visual leak.

Originally Posted By: 6starprez
So about 5000 miles ago (at about 93,000 miles), I had a cracked head on my civic. That was covered by Honda because they had a cracked head problem with that series.

I never heard of a cracked head problem. The known problem with the early R18 engines were with the engine block so did your block crack which resulted in damage to the cylinder head?

I had 45K on my 2009 Civic EX. I traded it for the Subaru in early 2012 because I started smelling coolant with no visual leak.

hopefully your Subie is not one of the ones with the piston ring problem...

I wouldn't complain too much. You might upset Honda worship
grin.gif

In all seriousness, it all depends on what Honda Corp. reimburses the dealer for this type of warranty work. If the cap is not on the list to be reimbursed, the customer has to foot the bill and everything else the dealer doesn't get from the head office.

That's the reality of those special warranty items that extend beyond the regular manufacturer warranty period.

Originally Posted By: IndyIan

So they charged you for a crush washer you didn't ask for? You can buy a bag of crush washers for $3.49.

I had my Silverado at the dealer a while back and they tried to sell me:

Transmission service
Differential fluid change
Brake fluid flush
Power steering flush

All in all about $700 worth of extra services. The truck only had 35K miles on it.

Most of the radiators I have seen come with the new cap installed on the in box unit.

But the $tealer can charge for it, and in your case they certainly did, but this is why they have such a bad reputation you paid a dear price for the replacement and labor and they still stick it to you by charging for the cap, you know it was priced at a huge mark up as well. Oh, and that sealing crush washed priced at
$3.49, that is highway robbery. Yet the $tealerships keep [censored] and whining that customers misunderstand them. LOL

Agree the cap should have been included. A few years ago, I had a power steering pump replaced by Honda under warranty and they charged me for the power steering fluid to fill it. I complained and they said "we couldn't use the old fluid because it had pieces of the old pump in it." Well, duh... but if a part fails under warranty, shouldn't they fix the issue completely and without charge?

Originally Posted By: tomcat27
Originally Posted By: 6starprez

hopefully your Subie is not one of the ones with the piston ring problem...

Nope, I got a good one. My oil level stays above the full mark the entire 5-6K OCI and I have one of the early FB20's with a build date of Nov 2011.

Originally Posted By: exranger06
I've bought about 4 or 5 aftermarket radiators and none of them came with a new cap.

My Spectra Premium radiator for the Honda Pilot came with a cap, so I guess there is no real consensus in the aftermarket industry.

The OP should call another Honda dealer and ask if the cap comes with the radiator. Start with a dealer with a strong Internet presence, not in your local market, such as OEMAcuraparts, Bernardi or Majestic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back