PC-11 HDEO oils coming in Oct. '16

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone on here have any knowledge of these oils? I just read an article on Pickuptrucks.com on how EPA mandated fuel mileage is driving this new HDEO oil to replace the current oils in October of 2016...

EPA mpg and Co2 is going to be a super driving force beyond imagination. Although I rather like some of the benefits. We get more expensive higher cost to repair cars but in exchange the engines due to the emissions warranty are lasting longer than ever on the average. Getting the lead out of the gasoline was the best thing ever. And higher MPGs are better. Gas will go up again.

Hi,
Shorthorn - I guess I'm using a "pre-release" version of this Spec - Delvac 1 LE 5W-30

It is possible that we'll see OW-20 HDEOs in the not too distant future - these products will most likely have a HTHS viscosity of around 3.5

Going lower than an HTHS of 3 has widespread technical implications at present

That is because most of the trucks in the US are 40 ton 18 wheelers' and can get away with a light weight engine oil to go along with the light weight trucks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted By: TiredTrucker
PC11A and PC11B

http://www.truckinginfo.com/channel/fuel...inish-line.aspx

Not sure it is going to make that much difference. The heavy truck OEM's, at least in the U.S., have been factory filling with CJ-4 10w30 and recommending it for a while now. Both of the PC11 oils will be 10w30. I think these have more to do with the add pack.

PC11B goes down to 2.9 min HTHS, while PC11A stays at 3.5 min. I suppose the PC11B additive packages would contain more AW & FM additives to protect against wear in boundary lubrication conditions. Although for the life of me, I can't understand why anybody would design an engine that runs in boundary lubrication as a normal operating mode. It just doesn't seem to be the way to get to a Million-mile overhaul interval. So if you save 2% in fuel from running the thinner oil, put that in the bank so you can pay for more frequent rebuilds.

Originally Posted By: Shorthorn
Does anyone on here have any knowledge of these oils? I just read an article on Pickuptrucks.com on how EPA mandated fuel mileage is driving this new HDEO oil to replace the current oils in October of 2016...

PC-11 will be a major category upgrade - it is much more than just the EPA fuel economy mandates. However that is definitely part of the final equation.The new tests added include ones for oil oxidation, aeration and new shear stability limits. This will drive HDDEO's into newer technologies and higher performance.

PC-11A will be sold as CK-4 which will be the direct replacement for CJ-4 oils.

PC-11B will likely be sold as FA-4 which is a new service category of engine oils focused on the benefits of lower HTHS for fuel economy.
http://www.hddeo.com/articles/pc-11-higher-performance
More From this month's Lubes N Greases

The first licensing date will actually be December 2016 (it was pushed back from October.)

Originally Posted By: Garak
Will PC-11B lubes be dual-rated?

Not Likely however there is some discussion currently about making them backwards compatible to engines designed from 2007 onward. The committees haven't finalized that yet so we have to wait.

One of the key issues of the dual rated oils is the phos limits for GF-6. The current rumor is that the exemption that HDDEO's have on phos limits for universal oils may be revoked. If that's the case than the only universal oils will be low phos.

The technology exists ACEA E9 or E6 oils come to mind as a possibility for the mixed fleets. We won't know for sure until at least the middle of next year.

Okay, well that's semi-good news. So, an E6/E7/E9 lube like Delvac 1 LE 5w-30 could still be dual rated like it currently is. Of course, I never go out of spec, at all, so I'm really worried, right?
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back