2010 Cobalt oil change Pennzoil Gold?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm buying a rough condition 2010 Cobalt tomorrow. I have no vehicle history as it was a repo. It runs and drives, but looks awful. The oil looked okay with a bit of condensation on it from the dipstick, OLM showed 25% left.

I am planning on doing a OC before driving the car home (60 mile drive), the car is in a back lot of a repair garage and the owner is okay with me doing a OC there.

I forgot to search earlier for what type of oil I should buy but I remembered what I've read on here about how good Pennzoil was at cleaning. This is a beater car so nothing exotic will be used, I was going to go with PYB but decided on the Pennzoil Gold synthetic blend 5w30 $18 with a purolator cartridge filter ($3). It said on the bottle of QSSB that it was DEXOS1 approved for GM vehicles, the Pennzoil said Dexos1 on the bottle which I guess is GM's way of saying GM approved? I felt the pennzoil has more cleaning agents and this abused engine could use a good amount of internal cleaning (not knowing it's history)

PGold or PYB will both be fine. That Ecotec engine isn't picky. Just keep it topped off and change the oil occasionally. I've used the cheapest Purolator filter (cartridge) on a few 10k plus OCIs with no issues.

Why don't you drive it home and change the oil there? Likely condensation because it gets moved around but not driven far since on that lot... I would get the oil nice and hot and then empty it out and refill with a quality synthetic, or heck, refill with a cheap dino or blend and do a short run and change it again.

I've used Valvoline Maxlife in my Malibu for years and I feel it runs the best on it. Same engine and transmission. Those ecotechs might not be the most quiet or smoothest but they last forever. we have 155k on our's and never had a problem.

Originally Posted By: Rolla07
Why don't you drive it home and change the oil there? Likely condensation because it gets moved around but not driven far since on that lot... I would get the oil nice and hot and then empty it out and refill with a quality synthetic, or heck, refill with a cheap dino or blend and do a short run and change it again.

Agree 100%

If the Cobalt has a 2.2L Ecotec engine, those engines are pretty reliable.

Advance Auto Parts has an oil change special with Havoline DS full synthetic AND a Driveworks oil filter for $20. That is hard to beat.

Pennzoil Gold Synthetic Blend is a great oil. I've used it in 5W-20 in my Taurus & 2012 F-250 problem free, always been good on this oil. I do 5,000-7,000 mile OCIs. However, I'm switching both vehicles to a full synthetic on their next changes.

Any dexos oil for the OLM-prescribed interval will be fine, and Pennzoil Gold is good stuff too, at least 50% synthetic
smile.gif

The 2.2 ecotec is a durable engine. They are spec'd for 5W-30 conventional oil and they aren't picky about the oil, but synthetic blend will certainly help clean it up if it's had spotty oil change intervals. They CAN be picky about which oil filter you use. Search this forum and the internet and you will see what I'm talking about. My 2.2 ecotec has a startup rattle unless I use a FRAM Ultra oil filter. Just find out what works best for yours. I run synthetic oil in mine and it's always up to the full mark when I go to change the oil after 6,000-7,000 miles. I've used almost every synthetic oil under the sun LOL.

The Cobalt community is very active. There are a couple of online forums dedicated to Cobalt's and they are very informative. The Cobalt does have a loyal following and people are passionate about their cars so if you have some time I strongly encourage you to join the forums. Hope you enjoy the car! They really are fun little cars!

Thought I might also add this; they are simple cars to work on. If a problem comes up it is very straight forward when it comes to fixing mechanical things on them.

Good filters for the Cobalt include Fram Ultra XG9018, Mann HU 6007x, Wix 57082XP, and of course the OEM AC Delco which is a Hengst E630H

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back