Michelin LTX A/T2 versus LTX M/S2

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had two sets of the MS/2's on my F150 and they wore like iron, had a fantastic ride, and worked well in all conditions (rain, mud, sand, snow). The F-250 came with AT/2's on it.

Anyone have experience with the A/T2's? How do they compare with the MS/2's for tire life? I searched and found some posts recommending one over the other, but I did not see any discussing how they wear versus one another.

TIA!

Just based on Michelin's site, the A/T2 will have less life..
Also you have to remember even though they are called Michelin A/T2, Ford has the ultimate say and the tire may be a doctored version of what is available aftermarket. Usually wear life is not one of the things they are targeting.

I don't have experience with truck tire because I didn't/don't own a truck or SUV.

In general OEM tires are not the best in term of performance/handling/tread life and since you're happy with MS/2 you may want to stay to it after OEM tire wear out. May be by that time Michelin will have a better replacement for MS/2.

If you have DT nearby you may like to rotate the OEM tires regularly, so that all 4 will wear out evenly and when time to change you will have a choice of new brand and/or new model. Also, usually the rebate(s) during holiday sale are for 4 tires, so you may be able to save some $.

There are better All Terrain tires for the money, and the M/S2 is the better All Weather radial. That leaves no good reason to spend Michelin level dollars for a tire that is outclassed by cheaper tires from other brands.

My tire guy, whom I trust, say the local snow plowers have given up on the A/T2 and gone with the M/S2. It's that much better on snow covered roads.

My wife has one of the early Grand Cherokees and we ran the MS2 for 10 years and 85k miles. They still had reasonable tread still and worked very well, but a few years ago coming up to another winter I decided to change them. I was very surprised to see that they were still available so it was not much of the decision to make as I bought them again. That's been one of my grips is the lack of continuity of a good product=when you find one and then go to purchase again, it's been replaced by something else-maybe as good, maybe not.

^^^haha, same issue here. Find something good and then it gets discontinued!

M/S2's have been hard to beat since they replaced the regular M/S.

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8

And of course they have now replaced the M/S2 as well.

Originally Posted By: Lapham3
That's been one of my grips is the lack of continuity of a good product=when you find one and then go to purchase again, it's been replaced by something else-maybe as good, maybe not.

Hopefully it's "progress" but sometimes not. The replacement LTX M/S2 was a better tire than the M/S, except for the unfortunate few who got the drier-cracker batches.

Some years back my pickup and I loved my LTX A/T's, not a true All Terrain tire but good enough to get me through the occassional off-road and a very good All Season tire as well. The replacement LTX A/T2 is neither, so I went BFG. They'll be up for replacement in a year or two, by then we'll know if the new Michelins are worthwhile or not.

BTW There are still lots of M/S2's still out there, and some M/S's for that matter.

Used to run LTX's, but the sidewalls cracked really badly so I replaced them with the A/T about three years ago. Not as much tread block siping for ice and the A/T makes squirming sounds at parking lot speed with the windows open, but they've been great tires so far. Quiet and good traction.

I've used both. My GMC Dmax has 275/65/20 LTX AT2s on 20X8.5 wheels. I like the fact they have 3 steel belts instead of two.

The stock tire on the 3500s in Canada is 265/70/18 LTX AT2, and is the spare on my 2500. Same tread, but lighter 2 steel belt construction.

The old softer compound sypped to the max MS2 I have used on half tons, vans and station wagons, were far better on compact snow and ice than the much harder LTXs.

For my purposes, I wouldn't call either of them a true winter tire because one is too hard and the other no good in deep snow.

When guys around here buy Chev/GMC 3500s for commute and work at Highland Valley Copper, they go straight to the tire store and get 275/70/18 M55s, Toyo CTs or Goodyear Dura's put on.

The LTX take-offs are perfect for 1500s than need a truck tire instead of a P-rated passenger tire you can poke your finger through.

www.teck.com

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted By: Hamburgler
Used to run LTX's, but the sidewalls cracked really badly so I replaced them with the A/T about three years ago.

Which LTX? LTX M/S2 or LTX A/T or LTX A/T2?
Originally Posted By: used_0il
The LTX take-offs are perfect for 1500s than need a truck tire instead of a P-rated passenger tire you can poke your finger through.

Which LTX take-off's? All Michelin Light Truck tires start with LTX.

The stock tires on GM 3500s is 265/70/18 AT2's, load rating 124 without going under the truck and looking.

That tire on a 1500 depending on who is driving and where should last 70,000 miles.

I put the Goodyear SRA 265/60/20s off my 2500 on a 2013 1500. A perfect fit for the truck on a 8.5-9" wide rim. They are still over 50% at 35,000 miles. New they have 16/32nds.
Great all-weather tire, that size comes with a deeper tread than the Michelin MS2 and they cost less.
Better yet, guys doing lifted trucks almost give them away.

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted By: The Critic

Maybe I missed it but what did they replace the MS2 with? I thought the MS2 was still available?

Originally Posted By: Nate1979
Originally Posted By: The Critic

Maybe I missed it but what did they replace the MS2 with? I thought the MS2 was still available?

They have been replaced with the Defender LTX M/S. Same tread design with updated compound: http://www.michelinman.com/US/en/tires/products/defender-ltx-m-s.html

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back