Coolant Filter for 6.0 Powerstroke

Status
Not open for further replies.
Been reading the diesel forums about coolant filters. All members there seem to agree that the 6.0 Powerstrokes should have a coolant bypass filter to protect the water pump, EGR cooler and engine oil cooler from clogging up with casting sand and silica build up from the coolant.

Does anyone have experience with this and have an opinion as to whether or not this is worth doing? My 2003 6.0 Diesel Excursion has 130,000 miles on it. No problems that I am aware of - but reading those threads has me concerned.

Looking at this system:

http://sinisterdiesel.com/i-15883427-sin...-2007-6-0l.html

Here is a typical diesel forum thread on the topic:

http://www.thedieselstop.com/forums/f23/all-6-0ls-need-coolant-filter-234463/

Not direct experience but isn't this just one of a long list of things to do to "bullet proof" this engine in which an entire industry was created to do just that?

Originally Posted By: Nate1979
Not direct experience but isn't this just one of a long list of things to do to "bullet proof" this engine in which an entire industry was created to do just that?

I was going to ask a similar question- isn't it the EGR cooler that overheats the coolant and tends to *put* all the precipitates into the coolant in the first place?

isn't this just one of a long list of things to do to "bullet proof" this engine in which an entire industry was created

Here+for+future+use+_483d2e3ead21878f296690ac04d468c4.jpg

This is a very worthwhile modification to have. I have one on every vehicle I own, and they all catch material. Some less than other, but they all catch something. And that's less garbage floating in the system.

Originally Posted By: DoubleWasp
This is a very worthwhile modification to have. I have one on every vehicle I own, and they all catch material. Some less than other, but they all catch something. And that's less garbage floating in the sys
.tem.

What systems are you using for you cars?

Could be. I've had 130,000 essentially trouble free miles so far. I've had none of the list of problems I've read about others having with this engine. I get 19 MPG combination highway and city driving to work and back. No modifications or "bullet proofing" - just scheduled maintenance so far. The diesel forum guys seem convinced - I'm just soliciting opinions.

Mech's at work claim that every vehicle we have will go through 3+ 6.0L's in their service life (about 400,000 miles depending)... Just saying.

So at what mileage is it typical to begin having oil cooler clogging problems with the 6.0? It has been flushed twice since I bought it new in 2003 - so just maybe that helped. I have also seen people on this forum and others post they have gotten 250,000 + miles on their 6.0's with zero problems. I'm hoping I'll be one of those guys.

I'm planing on flushing it again and switching to Rotella ELC and keep on driving it. I was hoping to get some more opinions one way or the other on whether installing a coolant filter is worth the time and money.

Originally Posted By: 3311
Originally Posted By: DoubleWasp
This is a very worthwhile modification to have. I have one on every vehicle I own, and they all catch material. Some less than other, but they all catch something. And that's less garbage floating in the sys
.tem.

What systems are you using for you cars?

NAPA 4070 filter and 4019 base on all of them.

Originally Posted By: JohnFromOKC
So at what mileage is it typical to begin having oil cooler clogging problems with the 6.0? It has been flushed twice since I bought it new in 2003 - so just maybe that helped. I have also seen people on this forum and others post they have gotten 250,000 + miles on their 6.0's with zero problems. I'm hoping I'll be one of those guys.

I'm planing on flushing it again and switching to Rotella ELC and keep on driving it. I was hoping to get some more opinions one way or the other on whether installing a coolant filter is worth the time and money.

I have heard problems can happen at any mileage. It is famous last words when people claim their 6.0 has been fine for xxx,xxx miles.

I have owned 2 6.0's and had coolant filters on both, its wise to flush and install a coolant filter. I never used an ELC, I used John Deere CoolGard II which is a HOAT designed for high performance diesel applications. It is chemically similar to the Ford Gold.

Originally Posted By: roadrunner1
I have owned 2 6.0's and had coolant filters on both, its wise to flush and install a coolant filter. I never used an ELC, I used John Deere CoolGard II which is a HOAT designed for high performance diesel applications. It is chemically similar to the Ford Gold.

Thank you Roadrunner - I also have a John Deere diesel 1025R with the factory installed loader and backhoe so I'm familiar with the Deere coolant. I have kept the coolant changed frequently in the Excursion - never exceeding 50,000 miles. I'm in the process of changing it right now. The old gold coolant is coming out clear and clean and that is making me feel better. It seems that folks that are having problems are either not changing the coolant at all or are going by Ford's 100,000 mile change interval.

I've read a lot about the gold coolant (probably waaaaay too much) and have come to the conclusion that it is probably a fine coolant as long as it is changed about every 50K. I've already bought some Rotella ELC (the red coolant) from Tractor Supply and intend to change it over after I get done flushing the old gold out with distilled water (I'm on well water here - not even going to take a chance).

Do you have an opinion on switching coolants even though you stayed with the CoolGuard II? The guys on all of the diesel forums are pretty much in agreement with switching from the gold to an ELC like the Rotella. How frequently did you change your coolant?

Thanks again - I appreciate your input.

The main reason for using the CoolGard II was out of simplicity, I already use it in several other diesel applications.

I kept the factory fill in to about 75,000 mi., then put in the CoolGard and subsequently sent samples and they always came back good.
I traded the truck in at 211,000 mi. and never had an issue and samples always came back good.

I figured out how to reverse-flush the 6.0 by taking the hose off the degas bottle coming from the EGR cooler and hooking a garden hose to it.
I couldn't believe how much stuff i had knocked loose and came out the block drains. Once the hose was running I pinched the garden hose on and off to pulsate the flow, from what I saw coming out it was well worth it.

Thanks RR - your input is very much appreciated!
smile.gif

Any other 6.0 Powerstroke owners please opine and contribute with your experience.

I have one made by IPR on my F250 6 liter diesel. It's not a bypass filter but continuous flow through filter with a metal screen type filter that never needs changing. It does need cleaning periodically as the filter fills up with what appears to be mostly sand. That's about a 5 minute job. The way you know it's beginning to clog is the oil temp starts to increase.I use a scangauge 2 to watch temps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back