I am going to have to put this head on myself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
1995 Honda Civic. One of the head bolt threads has a LOT OF resistance, when attempting to tighten. It feels like it will eventually stop turning and I do not want to break it off in there.

Any tips? First thing to do?

My helper assistant us USELESS and it is NOT working out... and I want to relieve him of his services..

Clean the holes out with a bottoming tap and make sure the head bolt threads aren't messed up. Clean all the headbolt holes with a tap. Getting the torque correct is a must .

STOP - check the threads on the bolt, and if need be clean the threads in the block otherwise you'll be taking the engine block out and having a machine shop install a heli-coil or timesert into it!

Also, I think Honda calls for new head bolts - it wouldn't hurt if it's a TTY bolt.

Maybe I should get those new bolts...

And this will be perfect. I'll bet in the time it takes for Mr. Useless to contact me, "bottoming tap" will come.

I have a torque wrench..

They sell "bottoming taps" on Amazon ?

This car has now been apart for 4 months and it is clear that I'm being used for money. This last time has shown me most clearly. Money changed hands, and no work was finished. Most the time spent in my garage on the phone..

No more.

Let's finish this. BITOG and I. Change a few things.

Probe down the hole, maybe a long q tip, and see if there's water or oil st the bottom. This can hydrolock. If this sorts out you can get a stud plus nut for your bad hole.

Originally Posted By: nthach
STOP - check the threads on the bolt, and if need be clean the threads in the block otherwise you'll be taking the engine block out and having a machine shop install a heli-coil or timesert into it!

Also, I think Honda calls for new head bolts - it wouldn't hurt if it's a TTY bolt.
Yep I didn't think about that.

Lots of good advice. Follow it all. Crud or liquids down the hole can cause the bolt to hydro-lock- you can actually fracture engine blocks tightening a bolt into a slug of water, oil, or an old clump of gasket sealer.

Also the condition of the threads is important- no burring or galling can be tolerated. Torque-to-yield bolts have discard criteria (usually a minimum diameter that indicates too much "necking" due to stretching).

New TTY head bolts, chase all the bolt holes with with a "blind" metric tap of the correct size (tap threads go all the way to the end)-if you can't get the threads right, you're going to have to put Helicoil inserts in them. A coated head gasket, like Fel-Pro or similar, would increase your odds of success as well.

20150918_080920_zpsuq79zmzt.jpg

20150918_080928_zps8sthswma.jpg

Here is a right - now shot of the engine.

20150918_080945_zpslrwzaxef.jpg

Originally Posted By: eljefino
36.gif

Yeah....

OK! So. It would appear that the first thing I have to do.. besides using turkey baster (i have) and vaccum or vacuum cleaner (I do not have) to get any possible liquid out of holes.. is determine the thread diameter and "pitch" (?) of the Honda head bolts. (I have 20 now, 2 heads lol, but, as said.. new bolts. Cool.)

I would need to know the size to "chase" each hole, removing all burrs, etc, if there are any..

Originally Posted By: Ramblejam
You really need to get rid of (sell) both these vehicles. Now.

Ok Ramblejam I will respond to you this one time and keep it movin.. Even if that were to happen, and it more than likely won't, especially not at this time, as I plan use, and other builds, way down the road.. IF it was to be sold, down the road.. Fixing first would still be most prudent.

If it gets "fixed" and then goes THEN it would be a different decision making process, but I committed to fixing it as best I can with what I can, and how I can.

It's not going to be fixed by you. Everyone here knows that.

Sell both, DO NOT go buy a VC AWD Volvo, use public transit, and save your [censored] money!

Originally Posted By: Ramblejam
It's not going to be fixed by you. Everyone here knows that.

Sell both, DO NOT go buy a VC AWD Volvo, use public transit, and save your [censored] money!

You are entitled to your opinion, but you aren't de-railing this thread. Thank for your contribution. Volvo #3 IS happening at some point in the future.. not in this thread, though.

If you have anything else relevant to add, go for it but otherwise, keep negativity to yourself. I need to learn about taps and dies and thread sizes.

Read about taps/dies until you no longer can. Doesn't change the fact that you don't possess the tools, knowledge, or capability to get this car running properly. Of course, you'll sink an insane amount of money and time into it before coming to the same realization that we already have.

Originally Posted By: InfmousCornholio
If you have anything else relevant to add

Objectively, why would you get a VC AWD Volvo? Please explain to everyone here how it makes any sense whatsoever.

Are you just bound and determined to make the worst possible decisions in life?

Protip -- sign up here: https://www.creditkarma.com (Completely free)

How are your scores?

It's amazing how easy it is to distinguish when you are on your meds and when you're not. This is the "off the meds" version. Complete and coherent sentences are not your strong suit in this condition.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back