Ford Ecoboost.

Status
Not open for further replies.

CT8

With the fuel dilution issues with the Ford Ecoboosts , would there be any advantages in running syn oils?

Originally Posted By: CT8
With the fuel dilution issues with the Ford Ecoboosts , would there be any advantages in running syn oils?

Of course! And run something thicker, maybe Castrol 0W40, since it is very thin 40 grade, or you could call it very thick 30 grade.
However, you live in CA, which has lower sulfur lever then rest of the country, so fuel will not deteriorate TBN as much as if you lived in AZ or NV for example.
Still, I would run something bit thicker.

Last edited:
What would the advantage be? looking at the uoas the dilution across the board is noticeable and running syn for 5,000 miles doesn't work and would 10,000 mile oil change intervals with the dilution be good ?

Both Synthetic and Conventional oils dilute. I don't know of anything other than shorter oci and thicker oils that help with excessive fuel dilution.

Originally Posted By: wemay
Both Synthetic and Conventional oils dilute. I don't know of anything other than shorter oci and thicker oils that help.

+1 there are lots of great UOAs here from ecoboost engines running syn-blends with excellent results.

Originally Posted By: CT8
What would the advantage be? looking at the uoas the dilution across the board is noticeable and running syn for 5,000 miles doesn't work and would 10,000 mile oil change intervals with the dilution be good ?

I would go with synthetics since, honestly, they are not that more expansive.
1. They will protect engine better.
2. Additive package is better, more stout.
3. If you run euro oils like Castrol 0W40 or maybe M1 )W40 (however, M1 is bit thicker then Castrol 0W40, and since your car calls for thiner oils, Castrol might be better option). Euro oils are spec for turbos, have high HTHS, lower NOACK. If they meet MB 229.5, they are going to leave much less deposits.

Last edited:
Was there also an issue with valve coking that syns seem to help minimize or am I thinking of another engine?

Both Synthetic and Conventional oils dilute. I don't know of anything other than shorter oci and thicker oils that help with excessive fuel dilution.

Yes, but synthetic oils are more resistant to breakdown in those conditions.

Originally Posted By: gregk24

Yes, but synthetic oils are more resistant to breakdown in those conditions.

+1

'Resistant' is a relative term. I have yet to read a study where any oil holds dilution at bay. Even the stoutest Euro oils dilute and the relative amount is application and usage specific. The additives will help the engine minimize wear after dilution takes place, but the oil still dilutes if that certain engine is prone to it.

Check the UOA subsection where you'll find countless 'I've only used synthetic' excessive fuel dilution results.

'Resistant' is a relative term. I have yet to read a study where any oil holds dilution at bay. Even the stoutest Euro oils dilute and the relative amount is application and usage specific. The additives will help the engine minimize wear after dilution takes place, but the oil still dilutes if that certain engine is prone to it.

Of course, but will allow more time for that to happen, and protect engine better until OCI.

I was addressing the specific question of weather synthetic dilutes less than conventional. My answer is still no. But i agree, as i pointed out in my second entry, the stouter additives incorporated in synthetics will protect the engine better, relatively.

Originally Posted By: Rand
Yes

Nothing like a simple one word answer.
grin2.gif

Not all Eco-Boost engines have "excessive" fuel dilution, which most studies that I have read is somewhere in the 3-5% range. In fact there are two recent UOA's on BITOG with the 3.5 V6 Eco-Boost engines that show just a trace to 1% fuel which is pretty normal for GDI engines. This is enough to leave a fuel smell on the dipstick, but your oil level will not "grow" as the engines that have "excessive" fuel dilution.

The 3.5 V6 Eco-Boost appears to be an oil shearer and will also benefit from a low volatility oil (intake valve deposits) so for that reason I choose synthetic.

Originally Posted By: BikeWhisperer
Not all Eco-Boost engines have "excessive" fuel dilution, which most studies that I have read is somewhere in the 3-5% range. In fact there are two recent UOA's on BITOG with the 3.5 V6 Eco-Boost engines that show just a trace to 1% fuel which is pretty normal for GDI engines. This is enough to leave a fuel smell on the dipstick, but your oil level will not "grow" as the engines that have "excessive" fuel dilution.

The 3.5 V6 Eco-Boost appears to be an oil shearer and will also benefit from a low volatility oil (intake valve deposits) so for that reason I choose synthetic.

Those 1% are probably those driven more on HWY.

Originally Posted By: edyvw

Look them up yourself, there are actually three if you include a Ford Flex and one (2011 F150) actually describes the driving conditions and it isn't HWY

Or don't and just assume...

Last edited:

Look them up yourself, there are actually three if you include a Ford Flex and one (2011 F150) actually describes the driving conditions and it isn't HWY

I said probably, chill out.

I said probably, chill out.

Yup, even one or two really nice UOA on Magnatec synthetic blend 5w30, as a previous poster advised. Normal 50/50 driving.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back