Initial F-250 MPG

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had to take a business trip to Dallas and on the way, I stopped at the Amsoil warehouse and picked up some UOA test kits for my new F-250 via my preferred customer account (Thanks Pablo).

I reset the trip miles (to track for expense purposes), but not the main MPG calculator--hence the difference in MPG between it and the trip odometer. I took a few photos at different points during the trip so that naysayers cannot say that I simply tweaked the "instant" mileage by coasting or some other such nonsense.

I am very happy with the MPG for a 3/4 ton 4x4 (my F-150 managed 19.2MPG for its best), and I expect it to go up slightly when a few more miles are on it. 21.1MPG is not too shabby for 70+ MPH!

The last photo is just a snapshot of the Amsoil warehouse entrance.

FTNMvK.jpg

xyf2l8.jpg

pKYUpF.jpg

iQf5uV.jpg

HlVg7L.jpg

Originally Posted By: satinsilver
Wow, that is something. How many gallons does the tank hold?
26 gallons--I think I am going to miss the 36 gallon tank that was in the F150, but to get that in the F250 I would have had to buy one with an 8' bed and I did not need/want that long of a wheelbase.

Did you hand calculate it as well, or are you going only off of the display?

I have noticed the display in my '08 is off by .5 to more than 2mpg based on driving habits. Hand calculated I get roughly 12mpg city to 18mpg on the freeway at 70-75mph.

Originally Posted By: Jim_Truett
Did you hand calculate it as well, or are you going only off of the display?

I have noticed the display in my '08 is off by .5 to more than 2mpg based on driving habits. Hand calculated I get roughly 12mpg city to 18mpg on the freeway at 70-75mph.
Only off the display--I have not filled it up yet to be able to hand calculate.

Diesel engine is usually give about 20-30% better mileage than similar size gasoline engine for the same vehicle size.

As big and heavy as F250 20+ MPG at 70-75 MPH is very good. My very small and very light S2000 can get only 23-24 MPG on highway(80 MPH) and much lower in city.

Currently diesel price is lower than regular, but couple years ago it was 40-60 cents/gal higher than premium. You get better mileage with lower cost per gallon is the win-win, at least for now.

Did I understand this correctly?...you took a business trip solo to Dallas in a F-250 4x4.....

The roads really that bad?

My 1996 Toyota Tacoma 2 w/d 4 cyl auto trans gets 23.5 mpgs cruising at 70 mph on the freeway. It has gotten the mpgs since new. My wifes 2002 7.3 superduty gets almost 21 mpgs hand calculating at under 70 on the freeway empty. The Diesels do pretty good in the mpg department.

Originally Posted By: Vern_in_IL
Did I understand this correctly?...you took a business trip solo to Dallas in a F-250 4x4.....

I guess he could have rode his bicycle but that would take a while.

It could rain!

Originally Posted By: Nate1979

Yeah...and carrying 6 HP DL380Gx servers would be a neat trick in a Prius or on a bicycle.

Originally Posted By: 2015_PSD

Yeah...and carrying 6 HP DL380Gx servers would be a neat trick in a Prius or on a bicycle.

LOL!
wink.gif

You could probably carry a Prius and a bicycle in the back, at least with the tailgate down.
wink.gif

Hauling servers in a pickup bed, that is so 1980's America. Not woried about theft in Dallas? I would have rented a Pensky truck, to lock that down from the enviroment and theives.

Last edited:
Hauling servers in a pickup bed, that is so 1980's America. Not woried about theft in Dallas? I would have rented a Pensky truck, to lock that down from the enviroment and theives.
Well...geez...Vern. Color me all nostalgic. I drove point to point and so there was no worry about thieves and the sky was crystal clear. I wonder which one would have cost more to drive?

Originally Posted By: satinsilver
Wow, that is something. How many gallons does the tank hold?
26 gallons--I think I am going to miss the 36 gallon tank that was in the F150, but to get that in the F250 I would have had to buy one with an 8' bed and I did not need/want that long of a wheelbase.
I've never understood how Ford comes up with fuel tank sizes. My 13 F150 with 5.5 box has 36 gallons. The 06 F350 8 ft dually had a 36(no other factory options). The F350 tank was really a handicap since I was using it to haul trees all over FL. I'd have to fill up several times a day sometimes. 26 gallons is crazy on a Superduty.

Originally Posted By: hatt
My 13 F150 with 5.5 box has 36 gallons.
Yes; it was the same for my 2010. The only thing that **may** play a role in the F250's tank size is there is also a 5 gallon DEF tank next to the fuel tank. Perhaps without the longer bed there is not enough room for a larger fuel tank without going to saddle tanks.

Originally Posted By: Garak
My F-150's take is no great heck either. For worse, try a few years newer with stepside. One guy I knew couldn't go further than 200 highway miles on one tank.
My old retired K10 has a 16 gallon tank. MPGs had to be in low double digits. Didn't seem like a handicap at the time(the good ol days) but I couldn't imagine it these days. All trucks should have a duel tank option.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back