Calorie label misprint?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dishdude

$100 Site Donor 2023
So I bought this little container of cheese at Target, and it claims there are only 7 calories in each 2 tablespoon serving, and 56 in the entire container which obviously isn't possible.

I'm planning on eating the entire thing and suing Target when I get fat.

Originally Posted By: Rolla07
Thats not even real cheese. Lol..not judging..yeah..add a zero to each

The first ingredient is cheese.

Did I miss something? Why is the calorie content wrong? Is this stuff aerated/whipped up?

I checked out a few other varieties of cheese spread, and 40 cal/tbsp seems to be average.

So, yes. Your container is missing a zero. 70 cal in 2 tbsp.

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
If you restrict your diet to only food you can skip products like this altogether.

It's an occasional treat. I typically eat healthy, but this imitation cheese product on crackers with red wine really hits the spot!

There is imitation cheese and then there is what this appears to be - a cheese-based spread. Not sure why people are hating on it and you for imbibing in the occasional treat.

Originally Posted By: gathermewool
There is imitation cheese and then there is what this appears to be - a cheese-based spread. Not sure why people are hating on it and you for imbibing in the occasional treat.

This.

Originally Posted By: dishdude

I'm planning on eating the entire thing and suing Target when I get fat.

I'm afraid you will not get fat on a few hundred extra calories.
wink.gif

(I realize you were joking.)

Originally Posted By: dishdude
Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
If you restrict your diet to only food you can skip products like this altogether.

It's an occasional treat. I typically eat healthy, but this imitation cheese product on crackers with red wine really hits the spot!

...but how many people eat this kind of stuff like it was food and consume more than an occasional snack?

Fat is 7 calories/gram.

Carbs and protein are both 4 calories/gram.

So, 4 fat calories would be 2 grams, leaving 3 grams of carbs and/or protein.

That only adds up to 5 grams total, and they say the serving weight is 28 grams. Something's off, unless 23 grams of the serving is water.

Then over on the side it says there are 7 grams of fat per serving. That would be 49 calories right there. Now I'm really confused.

Carbohydrates and protein provide 4 calories per gram.
Ethanol provides 7 calories per gram.
Fat provides 9 calories per gram.

Fat is the clear winner! And this is an oil forum after all.
wink.gif

Of course, just counting calories like that is over-simplifying food terribly.

Most factory food manufacturers derive their nutrition labels from data provided by the supplier of the raw ingredients ... they do not, as most consumers assume, test the final product, or test anything for that matter.

There is a competitive advantage as a raw ingredient supplier to have low calorie numbers as a manufacturer may choose an ingredient supplier based at least partly on nutrition criteria.

The nutrition label can be off by +/- 20% and still be considered accurate by the FDA or Health Canada (the label reporting requirements vary slightly but the regs are identical in each nation).

It's standard procedure to skew your nutrition label depending on the value consumers place on the criteria; in other words you de-value calories and fat by 20% and over-value vitamin content by 20%.

In Canada they had a program to test compliance of food labels; they abandoned it under pressure after about two years ... fewer than 20% of labels were accurate, and roughly half were not even close (200+% error), but rather than being random error, they erred in favour of lower calories, higher nutrition, etc.

As always, use your common sense. Expect labels to be optimistic in favour of the food producer, and it's debatable whether you should choose one product over another over relatively small nutrition label differences (perhaps 25%)..

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Johnny2Bad
Most factory food manufacturers derive their nutrition labels from data provided by the supplier of the raw ingredients ... they do not, as most consumers assume, test the final product, or test anything for that matter.

There is a competitive advantage as a raw ingredient supplier to have low calorie numbers as a manufacturer may choose an ingredient supplier based at least partly on nutrition criteria.

The nutrition label can be off by +/- 20% and still be considered accurate by the FDA or Health Canada (the label reporting requirements vary slightly but the regs are identical in each nation).

It's standard procedure to skew your nutrition label depending on the value consumers place on the criteria; in other words you de-value calories and fat by 20% and over-value vitamin content by 20%.

In Canada they had a program to test compliance of food labels; they abandoned it under pressure after about two years ... fewer than 20% of labels were accurate, and roughly half were not even close (200+% error), but rather than being random error, they erred in favour of lower calories, higher nutrition, etc.

As always, use your common sense. Expect labels to be optimistic in favour of the food producer, and it's debatable whether you should choose one product over another over relatively small nutrition label differences (perhaps 25%)..

This is so far off. I work for a major food company and actually formulate and manufacture the food. I work with our nutrition labeling group and use a program to figure out what the label should be. But we also take finished food samples over the entire initial production run. These samples are submitted to chemistry and the label is checked. Adjustments are made if needed and if making a claim we have to go off of chemistry results and not a calculated number.

The one part that is accurate is the 20%. That is not to manipulate what I claim on the label but to allow for manufacturing variation and crops do change from year to year and ingredient composition changes from lot to lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back