Question about in what order I should add Seafoam

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just bought a can of Seafoam, a Wix oil filter, and ten quarts of Napa 10W-30 for my 1990 Nissan Hardbody w/ KA24E. I want to use the Seafoam to clean some sticky lifters in my engine, change the oil, and the oil filter. But, I don't know what the best order is to perform these services.

My first thought was that I don't want the Seafoam to be in my crankcase long term, and I don't know what kind of damage it might do the new oil filter. So, I thought I should drain the existing oil, add new oil, and add Seafoam. Then, a thousand miles later, drain the oil & Seafoam, change the filter, and add new (higher-quality) oil.

Does this make sense? Or am I just wasting time (and oil) with this extra step? Should I just replace the filter and oil now, add Seafoam and leave it be? Would this have any long-term effects on the filter or the engine?

Thanks
smile.gif

How many miles on your current oil? I would say add the Seafoam now and then change it 3k later. I think the seafoam is pretty light stuff and will flash off rather quickly

What does seafoam do? I just can't get past the ingredients. ARx at least has magic esters.

Change the oil.
Then add seafoam - NEVER.

I don't want anything with a fair percentage (~20%) of 2-propanol on its MSDS ingredients list in the oil sump!.

Last edited:
My engine has 190k+ miles on it. The odometer is broken, so it could be much higher. I should add that the filter needs to be replaced pretty soon, as it has been on there for more than a year.

What is the concern with Seafoam? Is there a better additive for cleaning the lifters? On other auto forums I know most people swear by either Seaform or Marvel Mystery Oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back